Your Weekly Or Monthly Spend At The Supermarket ?

the Supermarket   

21 members have voted

1. 1. when you shop do you find it

• Enjoyable
    • An average experience
    • I rather have a root canal
    • I need to ask my mommy
    • My partner/wife does the shopping, I dont go.
  2. 2. Items you look for?

• I usually find them
    • when I cant find it, i get a substitute
    • its like a treasure hunt,sometimes its found ,other times nothing
    • I just go without
  3. 3. When you find a hard to obtain item do you?

• buy as many as i can so i wont go without
    • just buy what I need for now, maybe a few extra
    • buy enough for the present
  4. 4. Prices, do you find them?

• about average
    • average but some import items more expensive than back home
    • money is no object

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Usually at our wet market things are marked, if not and I don't know the vendor, I just hang back, watch what a local pays then give the same :cheersty:

Yesterday, my wife picked out a fish, the vendor said 200, so she walked away. She got her brother to get the same fish for 40. Big difference because they know that she is with a foreigner. Even the Brgy will not give her mother the 500p senior's pension because she lives with us.

Alby, you can hang back but they see you, unless you are wearing a bandana covering your face/head, dark glasses, and baggy shorts. Your 2nd market pic looks good. Our meat is in an open covered area but the rest is on the street.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I know in general you are right, but a few times it worked lololol. for example I once saw a local buy grapes for P100 per kilo,,i came up and order a kilo she said 200...I pointed at the last customer, raised an eyebrow, pointed at the 100 note shrugged my shoulders and basically gave here the "whats up with that look" got my grapes for p100 olololol

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

Thanks folks for the advice!

I guess the best thing would be not to go at all. But then, I see as not participating with the gf and instead let her do it all?

Mind you, I hate it and count the minutes when I go out there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I know in general you are right, but a few times it worked lololol. for example I once saw a local buy grapes for P100 per kilo,,i came up and order a kilo she said 200...I pointed at the last customer, raised an eyebrow, pointed at the 100 note shrugged my shoulders and basically gave here the "whats up with that look" got my grapes for p100 olololol

You are lucky that she did not turn the sign around to show the other price of 200 on the back!

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Thanks folks for the advice!

I guess the best thing would be not to go at all. But then, I see as not participating with the gf and instead let her do it all?

Mind you, I hate it and count the minutes when I go out there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually I go but sit with her brother while she does the shopping. Everyone stares at me all the time as if my fly is open. There are 200 foreigners here but none go the market. They get their yayas to shop.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Baguio has a pretty large wet market. I rarely see another foreigner there. Many stalls there post their prices. I even saw a public scale you could use to verify the weight of your purchases. I don't trust the meat at the wet market and I don't eat fish so I shop at SM for meat. The selection of fruits and vegetables is much better at the wet market and I can find vegetables that are much fresher than the SM supermarket. I always shop during daylight at the wet market since I have heard reports of petty crime there at night like pick pockets.

On Sunday mornings a neighboring barangay hall basketball court turns into a small market. Only a few blocks away and convenient for picking up some fresh veggies on a Sunday morning.

• Like 3