Your Weekly Or Monthly Spend At The Supermarket ?

the Supermarket   

21 members have voted

1. 1. when you shop do you find it

• Enjoyable
    • An average experience
    • I rather have a root canal
    • I need to ask my mommy
    • My partner/wife does the shopping, I dont go.
  2. 2. Items you look for?

• I usually find them
    • when I cant find it, i get a substitute
    • its like a treasure hunt,sometimes its found ,other times nothing
    • I just go without
  3. 3. When you find a hard to obtain item do you?

• buy as many as i can so i wont go without
    • just buy what I need for now, maybe a few extra
    • buy enough for the present
  4. 4. Prices, do you find them?

• about average
    • average but some import items more expensive than back home
    • money is no object

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

To avoid overspending at the supermarket, have a shopping list of the items you need to purchase. I recall reading that 40% of supermarket expenditure is impulse buying. Guess who is the guilty party? While the wife or gf is buying the essentials, the men wander around buying chocolates, chips, wine, etc.

Did all the shopping for a family for 25 yrs. Still do more than half in Philippines because i think I am pretty good at it. That way I can keep the dried fish out of the house also.

The best tip I can give is to always grocery shop after a big meal and never when you are hungry. Things just don't seem as necesary when you are full as they do when you are hungry.

you couldn't have kept a canary alive on the wasted food in our house. Alot of meals are what needs to be eaten rather than based on whims of appetite.

Edited by jode
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
That way I can keep the dried fish out of the house also.
Off topic, just when I thought I had learned to handle the smell of dried fish cooking I was introduced to the smell of dried squid. NOT for the faint of heart.
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I give my girlfriend p500 each week for food and if she does not spend it she can keep it

:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :th_thbestpost:
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: My wife has told me today that her shopping bill may well rise, when I am there, not just because I am there, Our daughter told her I like it better when Daddies here at Home, OH Why Azon asked? The Limo's reply was, cos we have better Breakfast, when he is home. She was introduced to an English Breakfast( Have to watch the Cholesterol now though) and she just loves it. :mocking: out of the Mouths of babes so to speak or in this case, into the mouth of our baby.( she tells us she will always be our Baby, unless another comes along But I think this is a NO NO now. not for the want of Trying though) :)

Jacks piece of Tuesday Trivia :tiphat:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

its been awhile since any new postings,,

so let me renew this ..

lately its been about 1500-2000 a week, plus various items from the local outside market(fruits etc) of 300-500

(more if i buy grapes as it seems that children and us grown children love grapes) :541:

then if i am in manila ot ATC i will do some "major"shopping of items that i usually dont get here in laguna.

thats another 1500-2000 a month.. guess for a family of 2 children and me it runs a little more than 10.000(12000 is more like it)

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We have a local Gaisano where we usually shop.  We spend about p1,200 a week there.  I'm not sure about the wet market - it varies, but we go a couple times a week and spend a few hundred each visit.  When we go into Iloilo we will shop at SM or Merry Mart, their selections are better so we spend a little more.  But never hit p2,000 at the supermarket - I think p1,800 was my highest. The supermarkets have a surprinsingly bad selection of produce so for that we always go to the wet market.  But I prefer the meat from the supermarket (it is refrigerated).    If I could find a steady supply of cheese I might spend more ha ha  

I would say supermarket and wet market combined we spend about p1,800 a week average.   

We eat rice every meal, small portions of meat, and some veggies.  I am not too fond of beef so I eat mostly pork & chicken, my girlfriend likes those canned meats (meat?).  I don't like fish - and I know I could eat cheaper if I did.  The large pan de sol is good bread, cheaper and better than the loaves of bread. I have to buy two 1.5 liter Cokes and one 1.5 Mt Dew.  But mostly drink Tang or water.

Dave, you are right about the half size portion! Everything is bigger in Texas - especially food portions.  But I have lost 2 inches off my waist since I moved over here in February, so no complaints.

And Bob you ask about dressing a fish?  I would say there is not one real butcher in the whole country!  Everything is just chopped up higgledy-piggledy.  Most small fish are just cooked whole, larger ones are simply chopped up.  Same as everything else.  I was buying a whole chicken (I planned to rotisserie it) before I knew what was happening the "butcher" took a cleaver and chopped into 20 -30 pieces.  No real cuts like breast, thigh, or even drumsticks.  Just chopped up.  

I don't mind picking the bones out of food but my girlfriend knows not to serve me the fat or gristle.  It is wasted on me.  We joke that I eat the meat and cousin Rogena eats the fat.  So it all works out :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Php 20,000 a month! Wow, glad i don't have your appetite, i'd be bankrupt quick

1 year later I am noticing the budget has gone up by about 1500 pesos a week and the only difference is formula and cereal for the 6 month old baby so now we are at 26,000 Php a month and I don't see it going down.  And I do not eat overly fancy.  For example I ate tuna melt sandwiches for lunch today.  Difference between me and many others is I do not eat that Eden cheese they sell here for cheap so the cheese in my sandwich costs about 40 to 50 pesos per sandwich.  It adds up over a few sandwiches.  

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Haven't noticed a big difference in our food budget except we now buy most of our meats in SM rather thsan the wet market .... reason .... it is much better than the meats we tried in SM Cebu and actually a bit cheaper .....

You ain't alone Dave I wouldn't touch the local cheese with a stick ... we (well actually me cause the asawa eats the local) buy what ever foreign cheese they have available here ..... the Aussie cheese isn't bad but they don't have a large variety. .....

Hey guys on the subject of food I've been meaning to post this but keep forgetting .... if you like sausages try the Fantastic brand in SM .... they have a package called BBQ pack with 5 different types of sausage in one package so you get to sample one of each kind before buy a whole package ..... that's the only one I buy now .... it isn't tough ... salty or sweet and if you like to boil it don't puncture the skin and all the fats will stay inside and it is FANTASTIC ..... (pun intended) .... I'm now back to eating my sausages twice a week .... they have a bunch of different kinds ..... just picked up some mild curry ones ..... haven't tried them yet .... let you know ...... they even did a write up in the SM Food Magazine so it looks like they hopefully will be around a while .... JMHO

:cheersty:

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

I am averaging about 16,000p /month (feeding 4 adults). I only get fish from the local market. The missus goes there, not me. 2 reasons, she gets the best price and I hate the crowded area. I don't scrimp when it comes to the imported stuff. The vegetables are usually very cheap.

• Like 2

Mike from BDA
Posted
Posted

We shop at a Pure Gold in Laoag City and spend aprpoximately 6,000 pesos per month. However we don't buy meats, fruits or veggies there...we prefer to do that at the local market in our town.  We have 2 weekly market days and spend another 500 pesos each time.

• Like 2