Things I Wish I Had Brought With Me ( Southern Us Version )

retired
Posted
Posted

Ok , probably been done before but always discovering something i could get at the local whatever store there that i can't find at any store here , and some southern stuff i just miss . Feel free to add to the list or make your own . Keep in mind that not everyone lives in the three largest cities in the Philippines - Manila , Cebu , Davao .

Digital Alarm Clock Radio - You know , the kind that lights up in the dark and falls back to battery when your power is out ( which happens a lot here ) .

Quality Manual Can Opener

Church Key - No , not a key to the Church but a Southern expression for a bottle ( usually soft drink ) or can opener ( usually beer ) . Actually had a local feel slighted one time for calling a beverage opener a chuch key .

Fly Swatter - Beats the hell out of the Filipino pastime of burning candles in broad daylight to ward off the critters - Actually had someone say it was cruel . And this from folks who eat Balute ? -)

WD - 40 40 : If you don't recogonize it you don't need it . Top of the list along with Mummy Tape ( Duck Tape ) .

Home Made Shine - No , not the shoe type - the other type , though Tuba is close .

Frying pans with handles on them - For those of us not into stir - fry .

A Barber that won't be offended if you ask them to trim the eyebrows or the ear and nose hairs - For those of us of certain European extractions .

An underwear size over 32 - 34 without having to go on a treasure hunt.

Bojangles Fried Chicken - Kentucky , Kenny Rogers with zap

Cornbread & Buttermilk

Quality Hash Brown Potatoes without having to go to an Aussie place

A cigarette lighter other than a Cricket that actually works more than 2 days .

A warrenty - on anything for more than 30 days

A return policy - no questions asked

A Plummer

Ok , just my starter list - Let's see yours ..

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I found WD 40 at Tru Value I believe. Great for creaky doors and a multitude of other things. One thing I can't find is heavy duty spray insect repellent like Cutter backwoods (think it's called) which is really stupid considering the dengue threat. Tons of OFF lotion but the only spray I've found is the tiny OFF spritz for more then p90. Gone through a lot of those. The gillette fusion 5 blades I gave up finding and order them from the states. Best shaver out there, imo.

• Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

along with the W-D 40 as mentioned above I have found a Digital alarm clock ... bought ours in Makro 4 years ago but have seen them in a few other stores sense then ...... I believe SM appliance has one also ....... we have not had any problems with fry-pans although my asawa prefers the smaller versions (the one we have now won't fry 3 eggs at once :mocking: ) but she likes it .... found them at Robinsons and other places ..... I have seen frozen hash brown potatoes in Ayala and tried them a few years ago .... not bad but not like fresh made .... the rest I have no idea about .... and is one of the great mysteries of the Philippines ..... :hystery: :hystery:

My biggest complained is finding low carb foods ..... when I first got here most of the major super markets carried a fair amount but now it is harder to find than hens teeth and you really have to scramble to find it ..... now this does surprise me as a great number of Pilipinos are diabetic and no or low carb foods are a fantastic way to keep the sugar level down ....

Also quality hand tools .... I'm so glad I brought a bunch with me but had I know then what I know now I would have filled another BB box and shipped it .....

Medicines ...... they are OK here but finding what you used to take can be flustering and some don't work quite so well .... like for cough and flu

Shoes ..... I have a big foots (according to my asawa ... not feet ... foots .... :mocking: ) .... it is 11 EEE and finding even sandals can be a challenge .....

Pants ..... forget it ... I have to have them made ... but he does a good job and only costs me 500p plus we by the material (for cargo shorts) ... shirts I can find

OK enough for now .... NEXT ........ :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yes, shoes and sandals to fit large westerner's feet. Do you guys have them shipped in? I seriously doubt there is a sandal that would fit me there.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

..... now this does surprise me as a great number of Pilipinos are diabetic and no or low carb foods are a fantastic way to keep the sugar level down ....

There is growing suspicion that the global diabetes epidemic is being triggered by the consumption of genetically engineered corn, rice and other grains. The reason is science was successful in increasing the sugars, which is great for fattening cattle, pigs, chickens, goats, sheep, etc. before they are slaughtered. The problem is the same grains are also for human consumption.

Diabetes was relatively unknown in the Philippines about 40 or 50 years ago. It was the same for Japan. Now the Japanese diabetes numbers exceed the United States. Their government is starting to ban certan corn hybrid, even as cattle feed. American and Canadian farmers and grain distributors are furious.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Yes, shoes and sandals to fit large westerner's feet. Do you guys have them shipped in? I seriously doubt there is a sandal that would fit me there.

They sell large size slippers or flip-flops in Hawaii. I haven't purchased any recently because they last 5 to 10 years if you use them at home. They cost $2 or $3 in stores outside the Waikiki area.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

..... now this does surprise me as a great number of Pilipinos are diabetic and no or low carb foods are a fantastic way to keep the sugar level down ....

There is growing suspicion that the global diabetes epidemic is being triggered by the consumption of genetically engineered corn, rice and other grains. The reason is science was successful in increasing the sugars, which is great for fattening cattle, pigs, chickens, goats, sheep, etc. before they are slaughtered. The problem is the same grains are also for human consumption.

Diabetes was relatively unknown in the Philippines about 40 or 50 years ago. It was the same for Japan. Now the Japanese diabetes numbers exceed the United States. Their government is starting to ban certan corn hybrid, even as cattle feed. American and Canadian farmers and grain distributors are furious.

Yes, high carb diets lead to obesity, diabetes and heart disease. There is growing evidence that low carb high protein diets are much healthier. I know a number of people who are following the paleo diet with great success.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm will be starting to pack BB boxes soon so keep this thread lively! :cheers:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OH just to add ..... there is a shoe maker in the ground floor of SM that makes leather shoe .... boots and sandals ..... I have never asked what sizes he makes but he has been in the leather business for 30 years ..... he has all kinds of stuff there ..... I bought some leather strips from him for a project I'm making ..... he also makes belts and all kinds of other stuff ..... the leather sandals look great but leather tends to be slippery when it rains or they get wet ....... (not that it ever rains here .... :mocking: )

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

OH just to add ..... there is a shoe maker in the ground floor of SM that makes leather shoe .... boots and sandals ..... I have never asked what sizes he makes but he has been in the leather business for 30 years ..... he has all kinds of stuff there ..... I bought some leather strips from him for a project I'm making ..... he also makes belts and all kinds of other stuff ..... the leather sandals look great but leather tends to be slippery when it rains or they get wet ....... (not that it ever rains here .... :mocking: )

There you go Retired.....Mike S suggested his and her leather kits. Perhaps the shoe maker can

make a customized whip for your honey......he, he.

Dang, my mind is in the gutter again, again -- Jake