Things I Wish I Had Brought With Me ( Southern Us Version )

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I personally wouldn't worry about bringing DVD's unless they are just something special and you have to have them ..... there are so many DVD shops here .... they are everywhere and at 3 for p100 you can't beat the price and they are in English ..... most are unless you specify other wise ..... there are battery operated fans here .... we have one with a light .... radio and fan and it runs on 220v to charge so you don't have to worry about converting ..... as far as liquor goes they have all kinds here you just have to find it and if they don't and you drink up your favorite brand you brought with you your gonna have to choose something else anyway so why bother .... IMHO ...... also sunglasses can be bought on every corner in fact when you sit at a red light they will bug you to death trying to sell you some ...... they have both original and knock-off copies but as you are probably gonna wear a pair anyway and you have extras bring them ..... but just to let you know if you loose yours or break them you can buy them here ...... everybody else pretty much covered the other stuff ..... IMHO

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

O.K. Now that I am hoping to be there by this months end or next month....I'm packing ( or making a list ) Certainly would appreciate ya'lls help. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO BRING !!!!

What I have on the " BRING " List .......Spices, Quality can openers & german kitchen knives,( Yes, I'm packing my Tomahawk too ) Church key, supplements / tinctures, a few nice shirts, pants, quality sunglasses, 2 different debit cards, " lifesaver " water filtration, Military grade hand torches, few emergency rations, CLP, backpack, beenie hat, hiking boots, Merino wool socks, Organic cotton sheets, MMA training gear, Natural health care stuff & medical gear ( Boo-boo kit & BLS Combat med tools for volunteering ) USD cash...( what amount & how to hide it on my person ??)

What about the following; X box ( It plays games & DVDs ) , English speaking DVD movies, Mac pro computer, Coffee bean grinder, french press, wine bottle opener, Ciroc Vodka, ( Unless I can get it in Cebu ) Assorted U.S. made Lithium batteries, U.S. made Cast iron & stainless steel cookware, Emergency grill, Electric /battier operated fans ( Brown outs maybe ??? ) cooler, Professional grade poisons, Quality running shoes ( Nike/assics )....what can be had there and what can not ????

The faster I get a realistic list the faster I can pull the trigger on this and catch a flight.

Thanks all !

Hello Magnum PI,

I seem to remember another thread about this very subject -- I will try to find it for you. In the meantime, here are some

items that I would bring:

Included in your first aid kit: insect repellent, sunscreen, anti-bacterial/fungus ointments, something for your upset

stomach, including de-worming pills, water purification tablets if you go into remote areas. Meds for typhoid-dysentery

sickness? Remember you're going in during monsoon-flood season.

Kitchen-home: Tupperware containers that you can use to stuff small items in your BB's, candles, non-stick ice cubes

trays, your favorite can and dry goods, rat traps, heavy duty padlocks, basic home-mechanic hand tools, duck tape.

Electronics: spare camera and laptop battery packs, heavy duty extension cords, 220v surge protector power strips, any

spare video and audio cables (HDMI, DVI, USB, CAT 5, RGB TV cables, telephone lines), cordless telephone.

Bonus: bags and bags of chocolate, small plastic toys for the neighborhood kids (water guns, mini car, airplanes), bottles

of booze for the barangay captain, tanods, mayor, local PNP. Paperback books to read on your flight.

Last but not least: perfume, make-up, manicure kits and of course a nice Victoria Secret lingeree for your lady but you

ultimately will reap the benefits.....he, he.

Bon Voyage my friend -- Jake

Edited by Jake
korrect my spill chek
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When coming to meet a girl here, the most important thing I have found to bring is a suitcase full of medium to high quality chocolates, the kinds not found here. Not just for the girl, she will give them as gifts to every friend and family member she has and she will feel like a queen for a day for doing so. Just don't make the mistake of bringing some and NOT giving them to her. She will KNOW there is another girl.

Do not bother with Toblerone, or most Hershey or Nestle products as they are very common here. I scored hits with Toffifee, Cadbury products and Kindersurprise eggs, among others

• Like 3

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

yeah I better bring some chocolate, I can't think of any other things for gifts for friends and my girlfriends family so that should cover all bases without going to too much fuss., maybe a couple of small Aussie toys like kangaroos & boomerangs too but most of them these days are made in China.

Edit: can someone tell me if it is OK to bring in veggie seeds in a BB box? I know Aussie and some countries are worried about seeds etc coming in and destroying plantations. I have a box full of all sorts of veggie seeds that I would like to bring over and try to grow some even though I have heard many things don't grow there.

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 2

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

This IMO may be better off splitting into two threads or at least separate what to bring carry on & what to ship BB or container. This IS my carry-on list. I hope to live in P.I. anywhere from a month to a year or so. ( Depends on how training goes )

Guys, I'm going to train and do some volunteer work ( Not interested in picking up women or to dating ) Thanks anyway though. No, I am not a homo-fagg. I just have objectives & have no desire for drama or distractions.

Jake , Sorry dude, I have no idea what most of that electronic acronyms are. Everything I have that plugs in is 110v. The Mac book pro lap top I use for educational DVDs and can play them through my big screen so everyone can learn. Will the cables and 110 volt computer ( U.S. purchased ) play through the 220 Volt TV's there ? As long as the Mac has a converter would the cable matter ? This would effect the X box as well I believe. If it works for Mac it should in theory work for the X box. Where the heck is Bob .....ain't he some sort of electronic wizard ?

My medical kit has all that and more. My water filter-bottles filter out bio, Haz chem & disease.( Mil-spec ) Checking with the upper management @ TSA what medical supplies I can get through. Electronic medical devices require high end lithium batteries as do things that terrorist use to blow crap up. :bash: so my list may grow short on that score. TSA is the lowest form of law enforcement & I do not find them to be professional at all BTW.

Mike S, Your advice is always practical & I really appreciate your input Sir. Most of the things from sunglasses ( Mil-spec; Shrapnel resistant, barrier protection for medical ) to alcohol ( I make health tinctures & bug repellent ; needs to be Ciroc, distilled from grapes ) serves a multitude of purposes beyond the obvious. I have back-ups on pertinent equipment. (most all is Mil-spec ) So I know it will hold up in the field.

Mike B,Same with merino wool under garments; cool in summer, warm in winter. I down loaded skpye to my mac...I have no idea how it works. I'll get a magic jack as well.

Would not Gold /silver minted coins be easier to transport and liquidate there ? ( U.S. treasury certified ) My sizes are 30-31" waist/length. Shoes are around 9's . 155lbs @ 5'9". Will I have a problem getting shirts and stuff ?

I keep a few kids toys in my med-bag; Cannot entertaining toys for adolescent victims on emergency scenes be had there for pennies ?

Now, What else for carry-on Folks.....if you please.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Check the power supply for the laptop, it probably says something like "Input:100-240V~1.5A 50-60Hz" in which case it will work with 220v.

My sizes are 30-31" waist/length. Shoes are around 9's . 155lbs @ 5'9". Will I have a problem getting shirts and stuff ?

You should have no trouble finding clothes in that size range.

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Thanks MikeB.

Anyone know the availability on the following............What is the bear essentials on tools other than a good multi-tool like gerber or leather-man ? ( My " Snap-On's "& MAC 's " are staying stateside )

What about real cane sugar ? ( It will be naturally brown & a bit moist with a hint of sugar cane sap /bitter ) Not " Brown " sugar which has been chemically altered. Real sea salt like the brand " Celtic sea ". Dehydrators for meat and fruits ? Vacuum seal machines for food storage ? Stainless steel coffee pots /percolators ? ( No bleached paper filters ) Any music players here ; Guitars....are they built well there ? I prefer the action lower than normal and hit a lighter bronze string.

Poo ! Now I have to post this so I can review the previous list :bash:

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
Will the cables and 110 volt computer ( U.S. purchased ) play through the 220 Volt TV's there ? As long as the Mac has a converter would the cable matter ? This would effect the X box as well I believe. If it works for Mac it should in theory work for the X box. Where the heck is Bob .....ain't he some sort of electronic wizard ?

I"m back! Went away for the weekend... hehe!

Look at every piece of electronic equipment you want to bring with you. If the power information listed (especially on any external power transformers) states that it operates on 110 / 220 v and 50 - 60 cycles, you are fine and just need to make sure that the plug end will fit into the receptacle. If it doesn't include the 220v option but only 110 v, then you will need to get a separate power transformer for it. Your Mac, depending on how old it is and which model, may have come with the conversion plugs included.

That's what I get for not reading the whole thing first! Mike B beat me to the answer and a much easier reading answer his was! Thanks Mike!

Edited by i am bob

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Oh now you reappear Bob. I am just gonna bring enough supplies to get me through for a while. I'll make due with what I find there. I hate to ask BUT I am at the packing stage. " We are a go for lift off Houston " :cheers:

Magic Jack, can I not just wait till I get to Cebu to set this up ? I'm worried about the voltage if ordered here in the States. I take the device will work on my mac book pro.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Magic Jack plugs into the USB port on your computer and the phone, not the electric outlet. You need to register it in the country you will be calling so you get a local number. Maybe you can do it overseas but lots easier in the US, imo.

• Like 1