Things I Wish I Had Brought With Me ( Southern Us Version )

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Please keep this list going... I am moving soon and it will let me know what not to forget... or better yet what to bring extra and sell to you guys!

• Like 3

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Yes, shoes and sandals to fit large westerner's feet. Do you guys have them shipped in? I seriously doubt there is a sandal that would fit me there.

go to Carcar and get shoes or sandals made for cheap and high quality . There is tons of stores there right by the big shoe . I found one who sells really nice high top boots hand made to your size for under 5000 pesos which would cost at least 30,000 pesos in Canada . no need for them in the RP but the sandals where awesome for 300p a pair .

• Like 4

Higg-num
Posted
Posted (edited)

O.K. Now that I am hoping to be there by this months end or next month....I'm packing ( or making a list ) Certainly would appreciate ya'lls help. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO BRING !!!!

What I have on the " BRING " List .......Spices, Quality can openers & german kitchen knives,( Yes, I'm packing my Tomahawk too ) Church key, supplements / tinctures, a few nice shirts, pants, quality sunglasses, 2 different debit cards, " lifesaver " water filtration, Military grade hand torches, few emergency rations, CLP, backpack, beenie hat, hiking boots, Merino wool socks, Organic cotton sheets, MMA training gear, Natural health care stuff & medical gear ( Boo-boo kit & BLS Combat med tools for volunteering ) USD cash...( what amount & how to hide it on my person ??)

What about the following; X box ( It plays games & DVDs ) , English speaking DVD movies, Mac pro computer, Coffee bean grinder, french press, wine bottle opener, Ciroc Vodka, ( Unless I can get it in Cebu ) Assorted U.S. made Lithium batteries, U.S. made Cast iron & stainless steel cookware, Emergency grill, Electric /battier operated fans ( Brown outs maybe ??? ) cooler, Professional grade poisons, Quality running shoes ( Nike/assics )....what can be had there and what can not ????

The faster I get a realistic list the faster I can pull the trigger on this and catch a flight.

Thanks all !

Edited by Higg-num
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

O.K. Now that I am hoping to be there by this months end or next month....I'm packing ( or making a list ) Certainly would appreciate ya'lls help. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO BRING !!!!

What I have on the " BRING " List .......Spices, Quality can openers & german kitchen knives,( Yes, I'm packing my Tomahawk too ) Church key, supplements / tinctures, a few nice shirts, pants, quality sunglasses, 2 different debit cards, " lifesaver " water filtration, Military grade hand torches, few emergency rations, CLP, backpack, beenie hat, hiking boots, Merino wool socks, Organic cotton sheets, MMA training gear, Natural health care stuff & medical gear ( Boo-boo kit & BLS Combat med tools for volunteering ) USD cash...( what amount & how to hide it on my person ??)

What about the following; X box ( It plays games & DVDs ) , English speaking DVD movies, Mac pro computer, Coffee bean grinder, french press, wine bottle opener, Ciroc Vodka, ( Unless I can get it in Cebu ) Assorted U.S. made Lithium batteries, U.S. made Cast iron & stainless steel cookware, Emergency grill, Electric /battier operated fans ( Brown outs maybe ??? ) cooler, Professional grade poisons, Quality running shoes ( Nike/assics )....what can be had there and what can not ????

The faster I get a realistic list the faster I can pull the trigger on this and catch a flight.

Thanks all !

This is great! There are several of us trying to move this summer. Let's see if we can build a list together. Maybe I will start a new thread with it.

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

By all means Sir ! You may do so at you leisure ( Just make it as fast as possible :hystery: )

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thanks all !

I assume you're shipping this in a balikbayan box, not carrying it in? In general, I have found that almost all clothes except cold weather can be found here but large sizes, especially shoes, are hard (or impossible) to find.

The spices you can get here. Wool socks? I brought hiking boots here and, to date, haven't used them. I don't know about the vodka brand. The cooler is a good idea, you can easily buy it here but why do that if you already have it. Same for wine opener. You can buy quality running shoes here but not large sizes. I cannot find size 14 Asics Kayano, has to be ordered. The battery fan is a good idea, I haven't seen them but they are probably here. I will be looking for that myself. I cannot find Gillete Fusion blades if you use them. I wouldn't bring poisons, they have plenty here. Bring a flashlight. Anything 110v that you don't absolutely need, leave.

I would not bring more then $2000. Get $100 dollar bills and a money belt that goes around your waist and under your clothes. Keep excess money and at least 1 credit/debit card there. Keep the cards separate as much as possible (and away from magnets). Make sure the bank knows you will be using it in the Philippines or any other country you visit. I would get at least 1 additional debit card. Set up some way, in advance, to call the US whether Magic Jack, Skype, etc. Bring at least 1 certified birth certificate.

There's a lot of stuff I could have brought but didn't and had to repurchase. If in doubt and you have room, bring it. Just my opinion.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup: Why Not Just send a Container, Oops sorry, Friday humour here. :tiphat: If I was there, i would share it with you.

post-2148-0-27279700-1339799788_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

well Mike has said basically what I would have said but I wonder why on earth you would want winter clothing like wool socks etc when it's usually so hot over here to even wear summer socks on the coldest days.

razor blades are cheaper on ebay or amazon before you go, and other personal items....

Yes bring good knifes, can be bought there but more expensive, same with chef pans etc, put them in the BB as I will be doing. I will be packing up a few boxes myself. The only spice I could not see that I use a lot is coriander but I'm sure could be found there somewhere.. I will pack cans of my favorite canned tomatoes too as the ones there are not so good.

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If I remember correctly, DVDs from the US will not play on machines made here so better bring your own player if bringing DVDs

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

For those who have any chronic medical conditions it may be a good idea to get digital copies of your medical and dental records on DVD.

Any other important information on paper you may want to scan and put into password protected PDF's.

You can either take the information with you on DVD or store it somewhere secure in the internet cloud. Best to have your important digital information in more than one place and ensure it is encrypted and password protected.

• Like 2