Things I Wish I Had Brought With Me ( Southern Us Version )

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey MikeB the newer MJ do plug into the wall outlet ..... they claim you don't have to use your computer .... I had ordered one 6 months ago but they sent me the old style which I already had and I couldn't send it back (long story and don't want to bore you) ...... go to the bottom of the page to see a picture of the unit

http://www.magicjack.com/intl/en-ca/tos/#.T-LLl_mum7s

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Yea, I forgot about that, I have the old one that plugs into your computer. But the new one will work with either voltage, "Power adapter is rated at 100VAC-~240VAC at 50 or 60 hz".

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There is now an official MagicJack app for the iPhone which requires no hardware... and it is reported that some Android SIP apps work with a MagicJack account... again, without the hardware. This makes use of MagicJack for phone calls mobile if you have a smart phone.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hmmm... I was just on their website and, under the FAQ section, they say the power supply works only on 110. Maybe they got smart and upgraded?\

For those who think they just need to plug the MagicJack Plus into the wall and it will work, oops! Still need access to a phone line or the internet somehow...

So is the MagicJack Plus worth getting over the regular? Supposedly the sound quality is better (I have not tried one so I can't say) and, if you can't get online but there is a phone line available, there you go!

Myself, being Canadian, I'm sticking with FreePhoneLIne - similar idea but requires a computer and it's all software based... And it's free! And (I'll have to go look to see if this part is in yet), you can download it on your smart phone (G3) or iPhone and get free long distance calls. And, yes, this will work to Canada and back as you will have a Canadian phone number.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

It is not only about making free or low cost phone calls back to your home country from the Philippines.

There are some rare occasions when you actually have to make a phone call back to your home country from your phone number in your home country.

Usually this occurs when dealing with financial companies or credit cards where calling from your home phone number is part of the process for verifying who you are.

Getting this setup is one of the things on my To Do List before I move.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I was just on their website and, under the FAQ section, they say the power supply works only on 110.

This is from the FAQs under "Will magicJack PLUS work in countries with 220V?"

"Yes, but we only provide a USB power adapter that fits North American power outlets.

If you are planning on using the magicJack PLUS outside of North America, you can either use a USB power adapter that you already own or purchase one at an electronics store near you."

I didn't post the link because the url only indicates the main FAQ page.

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

One thing that has always surprised me is nobody seems to complain about the lack of a decent cup of tea in Phils (a simple half-decent teabag, milk and sugar is good enough for me). For me it was a huge loss in the province. I assume people (Brits especially) are getting their fix somewhere? All I ever saw was crappy scented stuff.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

One thing that has always surprised me is nobody seems to complain about the lack of a decent cup of tea in Phils (a simple half-decent teabag, milk and sugar is good enough for me).

They sell Lipton. Isn't that British? Seriously, your closest source for quality English tea is Hong Kong. You need a sympathetic bloke to buy you several cans of Earl Grey or whatever you like to drink. Another possible source is Rustan's supermarket. If the sales clerk says, "Out of stock." talk to the store manager. They use to alert Expats by phone whenever new inventory arrived. Sometimes items like Roquefort cheese never made it to the shelf because they had a list of waiting customers.

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

I wished i had brought more Games. like Mexican Train Dominoes, and other Board games that you cant find here like Stratego, Risk, and especially TWISTER .

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I wished i had brought more Games

Funny you said that because I have several games and I was trying to decide whether to garage sale them or BB box them. I would think that all the major games should be available there??? My girlfriend told me she saw a sign that a Toys R Us is opening in Manila someplace, maybe it was Alabang.