Going Broke Supporting Older Siblings Health Issues

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

Ashanti,

In my case, I am proud to be called a bitch :)

I tend to say things as they are. If people get upset about hearing my truth, then it's their issue.

I don't see why I should be making excuses or play hide and seek when I didn't do anything?

OK .. Go ahead .. Bash me. It's a free country but for some reason, everything costs money !? :(

Its okey to be blunt if theres no one you care gets hurt and left vulnerable as direct results of your action. Especially if youre not around to shield her with their malicious darts!!!

The way I look at it is, It's a never ending process and there has to be a stop to it!

You said, "Especially if youre not around to shield her with their malicious darts!!!"? That's exactly what I mean.

If some one has no problem throwing "malicious darts" at us, it's obvious that they don't care about us or otherwise there would be no such darts?

Let's say, you did do your shielding once, do you really think that these darts are going to stop? Or get bigger? Where is it going to end? Is it going to end?

PS: Notice that You/Her mean one person to me since it's a agreed union of two.

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
The way I look at it is, It's a never ending process and there has to be a stop to it! You said, "Especially if youre not around to shield her with their malicious darts!!!"? That's exactly what I mean. If some one has no problem throwing "malicious darts" at us, it's obvious that they don't care about us or otherwise there would be no such darts? Let's say, you did do your shielding once, do you really think that these darts are going to stop? Or get bigger? Where is it going to end? Is it going to end? PS: Notice that You/Her mean one person to me since it's a agreed union of two.

With all due respect I think you are missing the point. Your wife and her family are from a completely different culture and no matter

hard you try you cannot change that. Filipinos are very family oriented and you become part of that family once you choose a Filipina

as your partner. Believe me as know from many years of experience that your Filipino family in most cases will be of great help to you

in whatever way they can and this help can be invaluable. In order to maintain a good relationship with your family it is imperative that

you be not only straight forward, but also diplomatic. If your wife has to choose between you and her family, she will be forever unhappy about the choice no matter which way she decides. I think in this instance you would be better served to put your wifes family

relationship above your own sentiments and come up with a way to both limit your exposure to constant request for assistance and yet maintain a strong family. Leadership often requires submission to obtain your ultimate goal.

Good luck to you and yours and thanks for sharing this most personal part of your life.

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
come up with a way to both limit your exposure to constant request for assistance

simple. Just move away .

1 hour or 2 hours away, that can help reduce these "issues"

the RP has 7107 islands to choose from . just pick the one they dont live in.

• Like 3

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted
The way I look at it is, It's a never ending process and there has to be a stop to it! You said, "Especially if youre not around to shield her with their malicious darts!!!"? That's exactly what I mean. If some one has no problem throwing "malicious darts" at us, it's obvious that they don't care about us or otherwise there would be no such darts? Let's say, you did do your shielding once, do you really think that these darts are going to stop? Or get bigger? Where is it going to end? Is it going to end? PS: Notice that You/Her mean one person to me since it's a agreed union of two.

With all due respect I think you are missing the point. Your wife and her family are from a completely different culture and no matter

hard you try you cannot change that. Filipinos are very family oriented and you become part of that family once you choose a Filipina

as your partner. Believe me as know from many years of experience that your Filipino family in most cases will be of great help to you

in whatever way they can and this help can be invaluable. In order to maintain a good relationship with your family it is imperative that

you be not only straight forward, but also diplomatic. If your wife has to choose between you and her family, she will be forever unhappy about the choice no matter which way she decides. I think in this instance you would be better served to put your wifes family

relationship above your own sentiments and come up with a way to both limit your exposure to constant request for assistance and yet maintain a strong family. Leadership often requires submission to obtain your ultimate goal.

Good luck to you and yours and thanks for sharing this most personal part of your life.

If you were talking about immediate family, like father/mother, then I would consider them as part of the wife and there should be no problems helping as needed. Besides, when you married, I presume that was part of the package?

But if you are talking about the extended family, which can be huge in the Philis, then I would say OK but only if you agreed on what you were marrying!

I have no problems with people jumping off the cliff or doing things differently. People are free and I would even protect their freedom.

However, never complain if so coz that was the contract to begin with!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

As usual, Tom (Tom in Texas) has provided us all with something we should all sit down and think about. Excellent, Tom!

Doug (Softail), I liked what you wrote last time and again this time around. Many Filipinos don't know what it costs to live anywhere else and are totally in awe that we pay as much as we do. Many think we move to the Philippines because it is so much cheaper for us to live there ... Ok, so usually it is... But I think most of us would be there because of how we feel about living there... The warmth and climate, the scenic views every day, the lifestyle and, yes, the people.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

the biggest problem is you have to live where ever you live first paying bills, buying food, running a car and just treats for yourself, and yes if there is spare money you may send it, i am trying to save very hard for our future so the odd few hundred being sent over just for tkts to support a show the kids are doing and to fund somones smoking does make me angry, like most of us have said in a emergency the funds would be there straight away, the biggest problem for me is that if they dont work over there well why send them money,and when i say dont work, i mean wont work,have to try and keep a ballance because one day i may need there help

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

When a man and woman decide to make children its their responsibility to feed, clothe and take care of those children. And, if they can't take proper care of their children then they shouldn't have them. Its not a child's responsibility to raise another child.

Filipinos like to talk about giving, especially around Christmas time, but what they really mean is getting because they don't give, they expect you to give to them. I know some will say they don't have anything to give. Everyone has time and energy they can give.

I give because I want to give, not because I'm required as many Filipinos believe. If someone believes I'm required to give money to them then they will get nothing from me.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I know I will get blasted from thy self for hijacking this thread but after reading many post here I came to thinking; are there Filipino forums out there that discuss problems with their "foreigner" family's. :rolleyes:

• Like 4