You're Going To What?

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

my adult kids and my mom all were happy for me, off to new adventures..Most of my friends were envious altho one very close friend was sure it was just money that my girlfriend was after , right before she explained to me why she had to break up with her boyfriend of two years because his credit score was to low :bash: :hystery:

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

One thing I wish my family would remember... I joined the Armed Forces when I was 19 and only moved back to my home town 34 years later. I am used to travelling and seeing the sites... Enjoying a different life... Since I moved back almost 12 years ago, it was almost like being married again as everybody expected me to be the same person I was at 19 and thus had to make sure they told me what to do and where to go and who to see and how to act. For 12 years now I have been avoiding my family except for family occasions. It's nice to see them but sometimes... Grrrr! So living close to "home" is driving me crazy! That was part of the reason I started to look for somewhere else to live. Somewhere that I would really enjoy. Somewhere warm. Somewhere without snow. Somewhere that my pension was a good amount to live on. When I talk to my family about moving to the Philippines, they all look at me with a smile and blank look in their eyes as if they are expecting a punch line to a joke they can't understand. I get the same response as when I joined the military. You can see it on their faces... "Just what did Bob go and do now?" So mention the Philippines and all I get is "Are you still talking about that?" Well, except for my oldest brother. He just laughs and tells me to make sure I have a couple spare bedrooms for when they come to visit.

Now, when I talk about my Special Someone, that is easy. They all look at me and say "She's too young" - as if that is suppose to change my mind and forget the whole thing. She's just too young and that's that. NO IFS, ANDS OR BUTS! So, for all my family who have issues? Deal with them. I'm going to live my life the best I can and don't try to make me unhappy!

One thing I should add. At this time, my family refuses to accept that I will be with a much younger woman. They are still having problems with the fact I want to move to the Philippines! Still, once we are together, and should things progress to marriage, no one will say anything against her but instead will be good and welcome her to the family. Though if things should ever change and we are not together any more for any reason, then I will hear it all over again. "She was too young. She lived too far away. Why can't you find somebody in Canada? She was no good for you." Aarrrgghhhh!!! Been there... Done that... Heard it all before! Wanna see the T-shirt?

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

great thread Bob, i could write a book on this, i shall just add this for now, its been 3 years of planning up to now for me to move out to the phils, another 6 + years to go if it all goes well, and behind my back you still get the sniggers from your coworkers about moving to thailand to be with your thai bride, when someone does mention to me what they are saying i just laugh and say never been there and i dont know any thai birds too, i shall add more to this thread later

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I feel that some people in our mother lands just can`t wait for us to fail. These people usually have never been anywhere except on a package holiday.

I had one bloke say to me "watch your wallet over there" My reply was what like I have to here that shut him up. I call those people ignorant as they use old cliches like love you long time and watch for the ladyboys.

Others said you will come back with your tail between your legs when it fails.These people like their comfort zone around where they were born.

Then there are those who say give it a go if you don`t like it in a year you can come home these are adventurers who would probably do the same or who have already done the same.

At the end of the day you have to do what feels right for you as you have to live with your decision. Just don`t burn all of your bridges when you leave who knows if you will have to go back.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I feel that some people in our mother lands just can`t wait for us to fail. These people usually have never been anywhere except on a package holiday.

I had one bloke say to me "watch your wallet over there" My reply was what like I have to here that shut him up. I call those people ignorant as they use old cliches like love you long time and watch for the ladyboys.

Others said you will come back with your tail between your legs when it fails.These people like their comfort zone around where they were born.

Then there are those who say give it a go if you don`t like it in a year you can come home these are adventurers who would probably do the same or who have already done the same.

At the end of the day you have to do what feels right for you as you have to live with your decision. Just don`t burn all of your bridges when you leave who knows if you will have to go back.

Hello Kevin,

Please forgive me if I am stereotyping the Aussies. I think in general the folks from down under

has an sense of adventure throughout their culture. Your famous walk about out in the bush

country and working and tolling the land under extreme weather conditions make you guys a

hardy bunch of blokes who take no chit from anyone.

Given the fact that Australia is part of the Far East region offers a quick getaway to numerous

tropical paradises nearby. You don't care what other people think -- just do it (again and again).

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I haven't moved yet, but because of they know I normaly do what I put as goals, they haven't tried any hard to talk me out of it but my relatives and friends have their oppinions:

/As far back as I have managed to research at my father's side (around 250 years) each second generation like adventures/challenges and them between think "I know what I havem but not what I will get if change" being affraid of changes - if asume them with occupations as soldiers are adventures, and them being tailors or such aren't :hystery:

So my father worries about many different types of things and think I'm crazy.

/My mother is adventureous, but worry some anyway, specialy when she has heared TV news about the Philippines with deaths by floodings and typhons. But mainly she worry we will see each other very seldom, although we live rather far from each other here in same country too, so we see each other only 2-3 times per year anyway, totaly 2 weeks or so, and I have told her I aim at going to visit them one time per year 1 months, so we would meet MORE totaly after I have moved... :) (My parents are old, no chance my father would have travel to visit me even if he would be young :mocking: my mother would surely want to if being younger, but I doubt she will be in good enough shape.)

/One of my sisters think something between father and mother.

/my other sister like adventures too, so she like my plans as long as I will come and visit enough (she is to ill to travel herself to visit me).

/All my friends are positive, except some worry about unsecurity about earning enough, but a bunch of them think of follow me when I move :dance: But one of them don't dare to follow after me, before he see if I can earn enough, although he will probably get enough for his house to live OK, until he will get retirement pay :hystery:

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

A lot like Bob, most of the reaction has been "What's Brett up to this time?". I'm Considered somewhat of the black sheep of the family; troubled and interesting youth (the navy saved me from that), didn't attend university straight out of high school, was happy in the enlisted ranks throughout my naval career despite numerous offers of a commission and a long line of either short or long-term military officers in my family (those that have served understand why! - Apologies to any officers mess dwellers, past or present ;) ), the list goes on. I'm pretty sure I was a foundling ;).

Parents are dead against it, they've traveled a lot but mainly Europe and North America. They completely fail to understand how certain parts of Asia really get under your skin and into your blood. My family are largely typically western in that they put the highest value on material things and money; yes they love family and all the rest of it but... Maybe they'll come around when and if an extended family from the Philippines becomes involved ;)

My friends reaction has largely been negative as well with the exception of course, for the most part, of my ex-military mates who just want somewhere to crash when they next visit, but they really get it.

The one shining light has been my kids. When I told them my eldest daughter just said "Dad, you've spent your whole life worrying about others' happiness, go and be happy yourself" with the other two nodding as she said it. They're the one's who's opinion mattered the most to me :D

Great thread by the way Bob!

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Dad, you've spent your whole life worrying about others' happiness, go and be happy yourself"

This I like :thumbsup: Well gone those kids. :cheersty:

:tiphat:

• Like 3