You're Going To What?

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was 60 years old, had visited the Philippines a few times and was constantly reading on forums about life in the Philippines so why should I ask a family member their opinion when they didn't do any of the above? I'm an adult and make my own decisions and could care less what anyone else says or does. Other people should mind their own business. Its my life to live not theirs. They will make enough mistakes in their own little world without making mistakes for me too.

Bob,

Where are you going to live in the Philippines? Maybe we can meet for a drink or two. I was US military and you were Canadian military but I won't hold that against you. Just joking, when I meet a Canadian or an American in the Philippines I can't tell any difference. We are neighbors and like brothers.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I"m going to be in Cebu to start with as my girlfriend is working on her degree under Special Education there.

So, as you are in Cebu too, I imagine we could have a few cold ones once I get there! :cheersty:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
It's almost like some of them think that, now that I am home, I am not allowed to leave again.

This line is so true. Some families feel that going away, whether for an education or the military, should be limited and temporary. I guess that's part of the common phrase, "It's time to settle down." The family expectation is to do what they did, which is getting a steady job; find a spouse; buy a house; pay down the huge mortgage over thirty years; and raise a few children. Then you can retire and seat in a rocking chair on the porch until you die.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

I"m going to be in Cebu to start with as my girlfriend is working on her degree under Special Education there.

So, as you are in Cebu too, I imagine we could have a few cold ones once I get there! :cheersty:

Sounds like a plan. When do you expect to arrive?

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Mate I'm always up for a few, I'll be there in April, we can compare shiny heads and have a few quiet ones. Seems one of those "friends" you spoke about is beginning to get under my skin too mate.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Hope I didn't screw up these quote... trying to pull the parts I wanted to comment on. If I did YOU figure it out!!! :cheersty: :hystery:

One quote that I butchered and deleted was about the offer of a bed. I like people that do that... They can't figure out how to offer to help you from where they are so they offer for you to come there. Nice thought from them.

... I told her that maybe its better to visit in the Summer time so she will be use to the hot weather. Well, if she stays inside with heat or the air-cond most of the time it may not make much difference when she comes. What do you guys think?

Tell them to come in the winter. The summer is too hot most places for ME in the Philippines. Unless they really like HOT and SUNBURN it is much better in the winter. To me anyway, it is still hot enough to go to the beach and have a nice day with a bit of sunblock; during the summer I won't go to the beach except early or late in the day because the sun is just too direct then. In the USA I was living in Georgia and during the summer there I would hide in the house from 10-4, during the winter = outside all day.

Bob,

... I was US military and you were Canadian military but I won't hold that against you. Just joking, when I meet a Canadian or an American in the Philippines I can't tell any difference. We are neighbors and like brothers.

I met a lot of Canadian soldiers when I was in Germany; thought they were 1 step up from my co-workers. :bash:

Mate I'm always up for a few, I'll be there in April, we can compare shiny heads and ...

Sounds like someone should coordinate an outing! I'll move back to Cebu City mid-June until October if all goes well.

REPLY TO ORIGINAL POST - FINALLY :1927_:

"You're going to do what?" That would be the first response from just about everyone. Second responses ReALlY had some vArIeTy.

Oldest Sister that I always consider the stick in the mud and kill joy = "Go for it!" Wow! Was I surprised. She was Navy and stationed at Subic for a few years so she knows a bit about the Philippines.

Middle Sister that I value the opinion of most generally. "Are you sure?" "That doesn't sound like a good idea." She is fully supportive but skeptical because she has decided to remain with just her cats and give up on relationships with humans.

Little Sister whom always looks UP to me. "Great! Keep in touch and maybe we'll come visit."

Oldest Brother that I've always looked UP to. *You have to know that this brother was married to a 20 year old when he was 45. She was not wired correctly and did things like hide heart medicine from him. I advised him to stop involvement with young women after that divorce.* "Great, but you said relationships with young women are bad." I didn't know about a Filipina then. :th_goodidea:

Brother 2, the black sheep. "Can you get me one?"

Friends: Most of my friends were through the bait store that I owned/operated so they were duly concerned for what was most important to them. "Where will I get my minnows?" :36_6_3[1]:

Close friend: (Asian female, US military officer) "GREG! NO! She just wants to use you for a ticket to the USA. Then she will dump you and you'll have NOTHING! I've seen it happen MANY times." I was SHOCKED with this one... Hmmm, what to do??? I said that I heard her, felt that she was wrong AND even if she was correct I was not willing to risk passing up the possibility and wonder later "what if...". It took a couple days then she said to go for it and that she truly wished me the best of luck. (Maybe she wanted me for herself??? It makes me feel good to think that, so that is what I am going with.) :dreams:

Close friend: (Mid-western corn raised boy, like me) "Best of luck buddy. I hope for all the happiness in the world for you."

Like most of the independent people here, I had made up my mind and was going to do what I decided regardless of the opinions of others. I'm glad and was pleasantly surprised by the overall support shown. Since I spent 20+ years in the army, joining at 17 (yes, I did finish high school), my family is used to me being gone out of the country.

ME? Before the Philippine adventure started I had closed my business and just began full-time RVing and was really enjoying it, but felt like someone to share my adventures with would definitely be a plus. SHE IS the BIGGEST PLUS I can imagine. :-kiss:

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A lot of great replies and stories all around! I was reading Gregg's post last and, when he started talking about friends, I realized that the friends I have who think my moving to the Philippines was great have all moved away. The others don't seem to want to talk to me any more. Except my Filipino friends.. hehe!

So when am I coming over? As soon as I can get back to work and clear my debt! It's only 12 grand left and since I live on my pension, everything I make is going to go to the debt. The problem is I was let go from my last job as the Assistant Manager of a Pool and Spa store. Why? Because I asked the Manager's son (a 15 year old hired on to work for the summer) to pass me 3 little boxes so I wouldn't have to come off the ladder to store them. Seriously I was so glad I was out of there but being let go just made it very difficult to get a job. Worse part is I stepped down from my usual as Store Manager to take this job. hehe!

One way or another, I will be there later this summer!

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

A lot of great replies and stories all around! I was reading Gregg's post last and, when he started talking about friends, I realized that the friends I have who think my moving to the Philippines was great have all moved away. The others don't seem to want to talk to me any more. Except my Filipino friends.. hehe!

So when am I coming over? As soon as I can get back to work and clear my debt! It's only 12 grand left and since I live on my pension, everything I make is going to go to the debt. The problem is I was let go from my last job as the Assistant Manager of a Pool and Spa store. Why? Because I asked the Manager's son (a 15 year old hired on to work for the summer) to pass me 3 little boxes so I wouldn't have to come off the ladder to store them. Seriously I was so glad I was out of there but being let go just made it very difficult to get a job. Worse part is I stepped down from my usual as Store Manager to take this job. hehe!

One way or another, I will be there later this summer!

LOL similar to me! I'm now night manager for a chain of adult stores here on the Gold Coast lol. Talk about from the sublime to the ridiculous :) :hystery:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

as they say here every little helps,its good to read that people are not just willy nilly going to there dreams without something to back them up, thats where most fall down,where would we all rather be, in the sun watching the world go by , but that cost money

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

as they say here every little helps,its good to read that people are not just willy nilly going to there dreams without something to back them up, thats where most fall down,where would we all rather be, in the sun watching the world go by , but that cost money

So very true! In my case, I will have my military pension. The debt has all be placed onto my line of credit at the bank and that I definitely want to and am trying to pay off as that is my escape route for any catastrophe... Everybody should have something like this... A pension and a Credit Card... A passive income source and a Line of Credit... Or even sign your checks legally with the name "Bill Gates"... You can do it without one of these but it isn't easy and it sometimes isn't legal in the Philippines so I don't recommend the alternatives.

As a side note - has anyone else ever noticed that when something happens to you that others will call a catastrophe, you will just call it a minor pain in the butt?

:mocking: (looks like me, doesn't he?)

• Like 2