You're Going To What?

Jake
Posted
Posted

A lot of great replies and stories all around! I was reading Gregg's post last and, when he started talking about friends, I realized that the friends I have who think my moving to the Philippines was great have all moved away. The others don't seem to want to talk to me any more. Except my Filipino friends.. hehe!

So when am I coming over? As soon as I can get back to work and clear my debt! It's only 12 grand left and since I live on my pension, everything I make is going to go to the debt. The problem is I was let go from my last job as the Assistant Manager of a Pool and Spa store. Why? Because I asked the Manager's son (a 15 year old hired on to work for the summer) to pass me 3 little boxes so I wouldn't have to come off the ladder to store them. Seriously I was so glad I was out of there but being let go just made it very difficult to get a job. Worse part is I stepped down from my usual as Store Manager to take this job. hehe!

One way or another, I will be there later this summer!

LOL similar to me! I'm now night manager for a chain of adult stores here on the Gold Coast lol. Talk about from the sublime to the ridiculous :) :hystery:

Hello Shipmate,

Wow.....a night manager for a chain of adult stores! Perhaps you can start a new thread about your job

and all the different types of people that visit your store. You just became my new hero! What are your

store hours and do you offer military discounts....he, he.

My parents were dead set against me returning back to PI after I retired from USN in 1990 They thought

I wouldn't fit in because I was too Americanized. I couldn't speak Tagalog and would not be able to protect

my kids (their grand children). They were right for the most part.

My marriage to Judy was falling apart due to her extended family influencing most of my decisions, especially

monthly budgets that usually went out the window after the 2nd week of every month. Yeah, we fell into the

trap of 5-6 operators -- selling most of my big ticket items (TV, stereo) just to stay afloat. Finally, I had enough.

After nearly 7 years of frustration and feeling extreme prejudice against my own people, I escaped back to USA,

without my wife.

Fortunately, my wife finally realized that she was victimized too and everything is all good now. We are willing

to go back (ideally, just the two of us) for an extended visit of a few months. I am hoping to make a permanent

move there as soon as possible. Like I said before, the American dream does not necessarily mean living in

the States anymore. My goal for the remaining of my golden years:

Here I sit with my companion by my side......watching the sunset as well as the sunrise.

• Like 5

Americano
Posted
Posted

Hey Jake,

Thanks for sharing some of the personal details of your life with us. Most of us have gone through hard times like you but usually keep it to our selves. I'm glad you didn't give up on your wife and everything turned out good between you and her.

I learned a long time ago that friends can't improve your marriage, they can only cause you problems and very often that applies to family members too. Most problems between a man and woman are not caused by them but by other people. You can write that one in your Book of Knowledge. This knowledge and advice is provided free to those with an open mind and ear.

Wait, I forgot to say something that Jake will be interested in. When you get to the Philippines you should try Robust. You won't be disappointed. There's a picture of a jackhammer in the box, hehe.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A lot of great replies and stories all around! I was reading Gregg's post last and, when he started talking about friends, I realized that the friends I have who think my moving to the Philippines was great have all moved away. The others don't seem to want to talk to me any more. Except my Filipino friends.. hehe!

So when am I coming over? As soon as I can get back to work and clear my debt! It's only 12 grand left and since I live on my pension, everything I make is going to go to the debt. The problem is I was let go from my last job as the Assistant Manager of a Pool and Spa store. Why? Because I asked the Manager's son (a 15 year old hired on to work for the summer) to pass me 3 little boxes so I wouldn't have to come off the ladder to store them. Seriously I was so glad I was out of there but being let go just made it very difficult to get a job. Worse part is I stepped down from my usual as Store Manager to take this job. hehe!

One way or another, I will be there later this summer!

LOL similar to me! I'm now night manager for a chain of adult stores here on the Gold Coast lol. Talk about from the sublime to the ridiculous :) :hystery:

Hello Shipmate,

Wow.....a night manager for a chain of adult stores! Perhaps you can start a new thread about your job

and all the different types of people that visit your store. You just became my new hero! What are your

store hours and do you offer military discounts....he, he.

My parents were dead set against me returning back to PI after I retired from USN in 1990 They thought

I wouldn't fit in because I was too Americanized. I couldn't speak Tagalog and would not be able to protect

my kids (their grand children). They were right for the most part.

My marriage to Judy was falling apart due to her extended family influencing most of my decisions, especially

monthly budgets that usually went out the window after the 2nd week of every month. Yeah, we fell into the

trap of 5-6 operators -- selling most of my big ticket items (TV, stereo) just to stay afloat. Finally, I had enough.

After nearly 7 years of frustration and feeling extreme prejudice against my own people, I escaped back to USA,

without my wife.

Fortunately, my wife finally realized that she was victimized too and everything is all good now. We are willing

to go back (ideally, just the two of us) for an extended visit of a few months. I am hoping to make a permanent

move there as soon as possible. Like I said before, the American dream does not necessarily mean living in

the States anymore. My goal for the remaining of my golden years:

Here I sit with my companion by my side......watching the sunset as well as the sunrise.

Jake, many of us have heard your great stories in your attempt to permanently be sent to your Dog House of Bad Jake. In reality I have a funny feeling that you are the most romantic of husbands and so very devoted to Judy in every way. Sorry if I gave away any secrets but your tagline kind of gives you away. :tiphat:

• Like 4

GregZ
Posted
Posted

So when am I coming over? As soon as I can get back to work and clear my debt!

I keep forgetting that you are the one doing it the "smart" way ... and I am the one doing it the "mindless romantic" way. I could have 'fixed' my debt problem in 1 year but the heart said go. Now I pay the price for that one... It will take 7 years to 'fix' debt now that I have 'baggage'. I'm happy with the 'baggage' and that I did not wait, but REALLY think you are doing it the best way.

Too bad I rarely do what is good for me and opt for what feels good! I guess that is because I was tired of wasting my time where I wasn't happy & I'm pretty sure every day that goes by is a day gone forever. Here's hoping that we all keep doing things that "work out" for us, no matter if it is the 'mind' or the 'heart' leading the way.

:540: :cheersty:

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Wow.....a night manager for a chain of adult stores! Perhaps you can start a new thread about your job and all the different types of people that visit your store. You just became my new hero! What are your store hours and do you offer military discounts....he, he.

LOL yep, many stories to tell and we DO offer military discounts :D

• Like 2