Philippine Domestic Airline Tickets

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well I will just chalk it up to cowardice... er... ah... bad weather?? :cheersty:

But after that flight fly over the airpost and turn around stunt, Cebu Pacific lost my business and many thousands of my pesos!

You still did not answer my question. Did they announce a reason for turning back?  Not sure if safety comes under nothing gets done if you focus on things that could go wrong. Anyway if you crashed landed but survived with one leg and 70% burns the story would have been. Stupid pilot for landing. I can see why I could never work in the customer complaints department but at least you are here today to complain about what was done.

Yes, I thought I did. Weather was 'coming' but not yet HERE! So as we flew over the airport and it was not storming and clear enough to see the airport well, I can only assume that like I said before, the pilot did not want to land and then have to stay in Tacloban if the weather got bad.

If, the pilot landed, and was delayed in taking off again, AT LEAST the plane load of people on 'my plane' would have made it to our destination and off we go. The people at the airport would be delayed BUT their plane was THERE already so they did not have to wait for another plane to arrive, and the management in Cebu would have had more time to reroute another plane to take care of any 'next fight' of this plane once it went back to Cebu.  

The 1 pilot who failed to land actions, had a cascade effect on hundreds of people. While I can not say the storm (coming, not yet there) was bad or not, I can say that in the many many many flights I have taken in my life, I saw no difference then to any other fair weather flight. If he had of landed, it would have had less of a negative impact on many people and allowed more timing for planning futher flights that day and saved fuel costs of the next flight. Remember, 1 missed flight = 2 full flights (full usually to and from Tacloban) of people trying to leave Tacloban. The delayed fliers and the next scheduled plane of fliers.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Weather was 'coming' but not yet HERE!

I'd lay odds at 100 to 1 that it was excessive Wind Shear at ground level that prevented the landing.  If weather is coming, that means a weather front.  And at the leading edge of a weather front is quite often erratic (not erotic) wind direction and volume.  It was probably outside the planes safety parameters which means no landing.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Yes, I thought I did. Weather was 'coming' but not yet HERE! So as we flew over the airport and it was not storming and clear enough to see the airport well, I can only assume that like I said before, the pilot did not want to land and then have to stay in Tacloban if the weather got bad.

Again in Chinese or what best suits you. Did they tell you over the PA or scream down the isles the exact reason for aborting the landing? You say you assume the pilot did not want a night away from home but all I am asking if an official reason was given to not land.

Or is your answer "weather was coming" is that what they told all passengers? 

Must practice my American English   :no:

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Again in Chinese or what best suits you. Did they tell you over the PA or scream down the isles the exact reason for aborting the landing? You say you assume the pilot did not want a night away from home but all I am asking if an official reason was given to not land.

Or is your answer "weather was coming" is that what they told all passengers? 

Must practice my American English   :no:

The only reason given was the weather. No screaming down the isles, just  a 'due to weather' and this is what caused an issue because 'we' could see the airport as we approached and flew over it. It warn't a'rainin!

Like I said in past posts here, it was a turbo prop and they have since changed to jets. So perhaps today, the flight as a jet would have landed.... and of course the turbo prop pilot would not be at the controls! :540:  If 'we' the passanges were able to see rain or complete cloud cover or SOMETHING that concerned us, then there would have been no grumbling about turning around. But it was the LACK of poor visibility or rain that made us wonder why the plane turned around.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If 'we' the passanges were able to see rain or complete cloud cover or SOMETHING that concerned us, then there would have been no grumbling about turning around

This is the biggest wrong belief in the world of aviation.  Ok, so maybe belief in the lost flight in the Bermuda Triangle is bigger...  Or Hitler's flying saucer attack...  

Normal rain will not stop a plane from landing. Typhoon - probably...  Not the rain though  but the erratic strong winds - especially cross winds or wind shear - will keep a plane from landing.  Heavy heavy fog (I can't see the runway - thunk) will keep a plane from landing.  Iced over runways (Hey, Bob, this IS the Philippines!) will keep a plane from landing.  FOD (Foreign Objects - like stones, people and cows) will keep a plane from landing.  Many other things will keep a plane from landing too.  But rain?  Unless the runway is in danger of being under water and can cause hydroplaning...  Yes, tires are made for lots of rain.  Normal rain will not keep a plane from landing.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well that is all I know! Plane turned around over the airport.... and ever since, I have spent my money on PAL. I am not thrilled with PAL either in some areas, but they never left me stranded or cost me money in hotels and transportation due to a canceled flight.

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here you go, Bruce.

Watch this landing.  Especially watch the control wheel and how the captain is jerking it around pretty good.  This is not what you want to see - even if the pilot did a very good job getting the bird down.

I also liked how they parked this aircraft in the parking lot before they shut down.  Or was that VW waiting for a start crew?

:mocking:

I forgot to mention - see how nice it is outside?  But they actually had a crosswind that was above the safe landing levels.  Tower gave them gusts to 25 but it was actually higher.

Edited by I am bob
addition
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

And another one.  This  is on a Canadian SeaKing.  Beautiful sunny day.  And not much breeze either.  What was the cause?  HEAT!  The helo had lost of lift over the grass but as soon as they were over the end of the runway?  They lost all lift and dropped like a rock.  The pilot on board was one of my favourites.  And of the 2 guys you can see in the back door - one ended up with his back broken in several places.  He's the one you see being helped away until he dropped.  It was not long after this that I had my last major illness (the meningitus and encephalitus) where the infection caused a bit of brain damage.  I ended up sharing a desk job with this guy...  We made a great pair.  He was wired so much on pain killers that he spent a lot of time laughing at me forgetting what I was suppose to be doing - and then he would forget what he was doing too!

As a side note - the guys in the back were wearing Monkey-tails.  That is a safety harness that lets them get as far as the door to safely operate the external hoist while the door is open during rescues.  They are connected at the mooring point of a cargo seat directly across from the cargo door.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Ah Bob....... A case of dain bramage huh? Well that certainly explains a lot! :cheersty:  LOL

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

When buying a return ticket check with the airline. Quite a few will allow you to change your return date for a fee ( most charge around $100 to $200 ). I think there is 1 or 2 that let you change for free. Just what I have read from other travellers

American Airlines currently charges $250 per ticket change.  If you made the original reservation with someone OTHER than AA they charge an additional $50 for the change (first time: $50 for 2 tickets.  I think it was for the entire party of travelers, 2 in my case.)

Sorry if off topic of Philippine Domestic Airline Tickets, this is for international tickets.  :tiphat:

Foreign Objects - like stones, people and cows will keep a plane from landing. 

I've heard this also. :no:

• Like 1