Foreign License Valid For 90 Days

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Just got my PI Drivers license after 4 years .   My Texas license was expiring  and there was no way to get new one without going home (only one online renewal is permitted).   Problem was that I am never in the country long enough to need an ACR card which I was told was a requisite  for  Drivers license conversion.     Needless to say... I tried at the Mandawe LT0 (what a backwater hot hell hole)  found a fixer.. who  took my money 3.5K   then told me I needed to go to immigration  to get a visa extension ...  I did  , went back and showed them the pp. made photo copies.. and then 2 hours later got my license. 

You cant get a license with just a 21 day gratis entry visa.  You must have an extension or an ACR card.   I could have saved  2900 in Fixer fees had I known about this earlier.   hope it  helps.

Perhaps you should have used Paul's service, a fellow member on here. Not at this address /drivers-license.php

• Like 1

Will
Posted
Posted (edited)

samatm

Posted Today, 04:29 AM

Just got my PI Drivers license after 4 years . My Texas license was expiring and there was no way to get new one without going home (only one online renewal is permitted). Problem was that I am never in the country long enough to need an ACR card which I was told was a requisite for Drivers license conversion. Needless to say... I tried at the Mandawe LT0 (what a backwater hot hell hole) found a fixer.. who took my money 3.5K then told me I needed to go to immigration to get a visa extension ... I did , went back and showed them the pp. made photo copies.. and then 2 hours later got my license.

You cant get a license with just a 21 day gratis entry visa. You must have an extension or an ACR card. I could have saved 2900 in Fixer fees had I known about this earlier. hope it helps.

I didn't need an ACR 1 to get my dl conversion. Maybe cause I'm a spouse of Filipina, I don't know.

But how in the world did you find a fixer? Every place I go to have signs and warnings everywhere stating that fixers are illegal. Also, just curious, why did you feel you had to use a fixer? Isn't this posted on this forum in several locations to not use fixers, they re only scam artist? Like I said, I'm just curious.

Edited by Will
  • Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted

samatm

Posted Today, 04:29 AM

Just got my PI Drivers license after 4 years . My Texas license was expiring and there was no way to get new one without going home (only one online renewal is permitted). Problem was that I am never in the country long enough to need an ACR card which I was told was a requisite for Drivers license conversion. Needless to say... I tried at the Mandawe LT0 (what a backwater hot hell hole) found a fixer.. who took my money 3.5K then told me I needed to go to immigration to get a visa extension ... I did , went back and showed them the pp. made photo copies.. and then 2 hours later got my license.

You cant get a license with just a 21 day gratis entry visa. You must have an extension or an ACR card. I could have saved 2900 in Fixer fees had I known about this earlier. hope it helps.

I didn't need an ACR 1 to get my dl conversion. Maybe cause I'm a spouse of Filipina, I don't know.

But how in the world did you find a fixer? Every place I go to have signs and warnings everywhere stating that fixers are illegal. Also, just curious, why did you feel you had to use a fixer? Isn't this posted on this forum in several locations to not use fixers, they re only scam artist? Like I said, I'm just curious

Hey Will,   thats cool.   So how long were you in the PI before you got your DL converted?   Did you have any Visa extensions in your passport?   I didn't as I had just recently arrived (again) .   did they look at your PP ?  Make any copies of your 1st an last entry etc?      How long were you at LTO getting your DL ?

The tout found me .. i didn look for fixer?   He guiede me to medical, then lab and then handed me off to the fixer who came outside to meet meet ...the tout got a tip from me is all.  The fixer got the cash and shared it with the inside.    I used a fixer cause I was in jam and didn't have all day to mess around at LTO.  And  I didn't think I could get a  DL without and ACR 1 card.     Later that day I also made a doctor appointment at Chung Hua.  

I saw no signs warning against fixers etc..   only at the BI . 

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

Just got my PI Drivers license after 4 years .   My Texas license was expiring  and there was no way to get new one without going home (only one online renewal is permitted).   Problem was that I am never in the country long enough to need an ACR card which I was told was a requisite  for  Drivers license conversion.     Needless to say... I tried at the Mandawe LT0 (what a backwater hot hell hole)  found a fixer.. who  took my money 3.5K   then told me I needed to go to immigration  to get a visa extension ...  I did  , went back and showed them the pp. made photo copies.. and then 2 hours later got my license. 

You cant get a license with just a 21 day gratis entry visa.  You must have an extension or an ACR card.   I could have saved  2900 in Fixer fees had I known about this earlier.   hope it  helps.   

Perhaps you should have used Paul's service, a fellow member on here. Not at this address /drivers-license.php

Yes I should have !    From what i hear Paul and Elsa can get it done  really easily.    Next time na lang  !   

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I got mine last year first went to LTO in Lapu-Lapu but was told as I was a foreigner converting a Florida drivers license to a Phils ..... I had to be interviewed by the LTO chief herself ..... which is a crock of sh*t and I could smell a bribe coming so we went to Mandaue and had no problems ...... the fixers were outside the gate and will approch you if you make eye contact which we didn't ...... the process is pretty simple and straight forward especially if you are with someone who speaks the language ..... we did have to wait until after lunch for them to take the second picture (have no idea why) but that is what they do ....... everyone had to wait ..... the young lady that took our app was very helpful and I was in the first batch to get my license in the afternoon as she kept personally checking to see if it was ready yet ...... and she didn't expect anything in return ..... but she did get a big thank you .......

My Florida license expires this year and I am on a 13a ...... so that may make a difference with the way it was handled ..... outside the BI and LTO they have fixers even though if caught they can be arrested ......

A word to the wise .... sometimes the paperwok you get from the fixers was not really registered with the LTO ..... and you never find out until next time you have to register or you get stopped for a traffic violation ...... they just give you  fake number that is not recorded in the LTO records ...... I know of one guy this happened to with his OR and CR ..... he had to jump through hoops to get it corrected and it cost him about p20,000 to get it straightened out ......

Sorry for the poor spell my spell checker took  a crap I guess ... :th_unfair: :unsure:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I hope all members are aware we do not condone any illegal activity on this forum?  That includes promoting the use of fixers and information about how to contact them.  I suggest you use this forum for discussion of legal activity only.   :thumbsup:   Not meant to single out any individual.  I have had my knuckles rapped before for coming too close to the edge and I see this thread going there.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

FYI - The title of this post was changed to correctly reflect what the license is valid for - 90 days.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Stilling
Posted
Posted

HI

A good advice is to have the phone number of AAA in you phone (or better pocket). In the beginning I could use my international license but police denied that it was valid in the philippines (despite a clear endorcement of the agreement in the document). May be they just needed a litttle money but a call to the AAA is very educational for them.

You can also tease the cops by telling the truth, that you really do not care. They are welcome to create an international affair if they like and being ridiculed. That also works but take a lot more time.

You can only use your international license if you have not stayed in the Philippines too long (I forgot how long)

MikeB
Posted
Posted

An "International Driver's Permit" must be accompanied by a valid license from your home country. By itself it is not a valid license. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

Friday afternoon I was able to convert my USA drivers license to a Philippines DL. The entire process took less than an hour at the Baguio LTO office. Things seemed well organized at the LTO office and everyone was very helpful.

I was required to have a copy of my passport ID page, copy of my last visa extension stamp from my passport  and copy of my last entry visa stamp from my passport. In addition I needed a copy of my US DL and my ACR-I card. I needed my passport, ACR-I and US DL. I had to get a medical which cost 100 pesos. Just height, weight, blood pressure and eye chart. No drug testing was required. The license itself cost 618 pesos. All together only 718 pesos.

• Like 4