Foreign License Valid For 90 Days

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I too had been told that the ID was valid for only,.... 30 days, 45 days, etc etc. and once by the traffic police, and he told me it was only valid for 30 days! Now I have been here for considerably longer than this, and although I did not drive for most of the time I have been here, I have no excuse as to why I did not do it earlier, other than my passport was expired, I did not want to travel to Manila, I did not have the money, etc .

In a previous post, I provided the information about finally getting my Philippine license here in Angeles, and it did not take long, it did not cost a great deal of money, and I found the entire experience not all that bad.

I did ask while there how long I was allowed to drive on my Canadian, or British Licence or an International License, and they told me that I could drive on any of the above of 90 days, from the date that I landed in the Philippines.

So I guess the traffic police were just looking for some extra cash! Although they did not get it, as I quoted "some official sounding" diatribe, about legally having 90 days, and I thought he should up date his knowledge, and as it goes he did let me go, even though at the time I was driving a vehicle that did not have an up to date sticker, and I was driving using my British license at the time, and I had been in the Philippines for over 6 years! 

It was my lucky day, and it was also Valentines Day, and I have flowers and a ballloon in the car which I was about to give my wife. When he asked me who they were for, and I told him my wife, and that yes she was a Filipina and we had a young daughter, he shook my hand and suggested I get home as quickly as possible, and to get my Philippine drivers license before he stopped me again! Which thankfully he never has, even though I see him often and he just waves me by!

Papa Carl

• Like 2

BobNChe
Posted
Posted (edited)

LOLOL, this is a bit like herding cats! LOLOL 

If your current licence is in English from your home country you can use it for 90 days! If it's not in English you will need an International Drivers Licence in English.

To convert your license is pretty simple and cheap although the lines get a bit frustrating at times! The process starts by getting the initial application form! Then you need a drug test and a medical certificate which are most always available near the LTO. You come back and submit all the requirements and wait for a picture to be taken. Then you wait some more and they will issue the license! The fees went up since the last time I went but all in is less than like P700 or 800 I think! Less than P1K anyway!

If you want a car and a motorcycle restriction tell them up front cause they used to make you do the entire process twice if not!! 

The thing with the requirement for an ACR card is new, but it makes sense! If you are here for 90 days in order to need a new license you should already have the card anyway!

Edited by BobNChe

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Then you need a drug test and a medical certificate which are most always available near the LTO.

I think the drug test requirement has been scrapped.

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

what about a Balikbayan visa

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup:  OK Guys, here is the LTO official wording from their webpage. Hope it will be of some use.

SPJ, it may even answer your question :thumbsup:

http://www.lto.gov.ph/index.php/faqs/driver-s-licensing

Regards JP. :tiphat:  

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

That official web page is from a year ago. The drug test was ordered stopped last June. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

That official web page is from a year ago. The drug test was ordered stopped last June. 

mmmmmmmmmmmmm???????? then maybe someone should tell Dumaguete LTO as my wife had to take a test in November, She will ring LTO later today as she is due again in November to re-new here licence 

Web pages from any PI agency are notoriously out of Date. I meant it to really clear up a few points raised. 

Sorry if I have not helped.

JP :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

OUCH OUCH, oooooops sorry, that should have been a new answer

:hystery:  blast. it was I never sent before,

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:morning1:  maybe i will get some lunch and try again later, Guess I need a little more practice in being stupid some days!  :unsure:

:tiphat:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

:morning1:  maybe i will get some lunch and try again later, Guess I need a little more practice in being stupid some days!  :unsure:

:tiphat:

Come on Jack P,

This topic regarding LTO is just as confusing as all the other government agencies that serves the public.

Even if they had a building size banner announcing the tourist visa is now 30 days, do you think all the

immigration agents will know or understand the new marching order?  

Sometimes acting stupid is a good thing.  I mean, look at me -- most of my posts are silly toilet jokes, corny

and downright nasty.  So most of you guys don't take me seriously......he, he.  So Jack P, welcome to my

dog house where we can wash our sorrow on some cold Heineken.  

We don't get any respect sometimes -- Jake

• Like 3