French Tourist Shot Dead In Front Of Hotel In Pasay.

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Honestly, europeans & those belt bags(bum bags) always put a big target on their heads, I often cringe when I see tourists walking around Manila with them.

Belt bag, bum bag, fanny pack.... are all the same and none are 'money belts'.  As for the Inspector getting relieved, I think that is for show or this shooting was an excuse to get rid of him as that decision was already made. I am amazed at the lack of job security that PNP management has and I wonder how many get 'relieved' every year.

Off the internet you can buy special underwear with a water resistant pouch sewn in for money, an actual belt with a zipper built in for holding money, and velcro type ankle

wraps for holding money.

Even if this guy was alive when he arrived at the hospital, unless it is a trauma center AND there is a trauma trained surgeon waiting (radio ahead) with a scalpel in hand and hemostats / artery clamps to stop the internal bleeding... he is dead anyway.

So, in the US, her cell phone / txt records of that day would be looked at and cross checked against multiple calls over a day or so to the other numbers. It does seem to be a bit more than a robber boy / snatcher style robbery, and with 3 on a bike, sounds like kids offering support to each other. Unknown yet is they are friends with the Pinay or if hired by a more organized group.

Edited by MikeB
Removed offensive comment
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I am familiar with San Juan de Dios Hospital since the location is just around the corner from our former family compound (behind what is now the Japanese embassy). Their emergency room is not Medical City or St. Luke's, but adequate.

It does not sound like a random robbery. The naive French tourist was targeted because the robbers knew he was carrying a lot of cash, possibly more than what was reported. They also knew the money was in the belt bag rather than his wallet.

• Like 2

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Im sorry but ive seen this time and time again in numerous countries, why would you bother looking for a wallet when they are wearing these belt bags? you know they are using this for storage, be it there expensive camera or money it automatically makes you a target.

On a separate note I also know a filipina who works with my wife, her father was shot dead in the same area just a few weeks ago while he was meeting her to walk her home, it was very much in the same style of this robbery, snatchers on a bike, see a target and make their move......father fights back and thats that....end of story. Why was she targeted, who knows but the company they wirk for believe it maybe the uniforms, now theyre not allowed off the premises in company uniforms and have to change into them once they get to work. Sad story but I still tend to believe there are many criminals around the Pasay area who are more organised than any of us give them credit for & we always assume it couldnt possibly be just a random attack, they really have an eye for their victims.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well, as a quick diversion.... point up towards a bulding and say CAMERAS! As you back away quickly in a sideways movement if possible, saying over and over CAMERAS CAMERAS CAMERAS.

This tricks the brain of the average person in that they normally, as most do, move their eyes off into the direction you are pointing, they are processing the CAMERAS statement you made so they look for a camera and at that time as you are moving back and away, they can not keep track of you, and look for a camera and possible witnesses and think all at the same time. As you get farther away, they then have to leave the safety area of their get away bike and go after you.... or abandon their robbery attempt.

A growing distance of 10 -15 feet is a HUGE distance to cover for an untrained shooter that is a moving target. And a simple robber boy is easily overcome with conflicting thoughts. Shooting at and hitting a side moving target is much more difficult than a target  right in front of you.

And... assuming there will be some members advocating that old favorite.... do nothing but comply with any demands..... Well there are no shortage of news reports with the family saying WHY? They got what they wanted.... he did not fight back... why did that have to shoot him?

The closer you remain to the robber, the worse off you are.  

• Like 4

sjp52
Posted
Posted

All the robbers have to do is stand in a bank or near an atm and watch for people getting large sums of money and then wait for the opportune moment and bang.  There was a foregner robbed right out in front of my subdivision in CDO. Robbers were on a motorcycle and told him to hand over his money and he did and they then shot him in the head. They did not kill his girl that was standing beside him. So what is the point in shooting the foreigner when he cooperated ( Eliminate the witness ? ) then why let the Filipina live.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

So what is the point in shooting the foreigner when he cooperated ( Eliminate the witness ? ) then why let the Filipina live.

Yes. Here in the US there is a chain of restaurants called Waffle House. Basic truck driver food 24/7. But they have a history of 'former employees' coming back at 4am and taking everyone in the back and shooting them in the walk in coler. No witnesses. Happened several times in different states.

By now, there should be enough evidence that 'not fighting back - do what they want you to do' is a losing proposition. Human life is reverting back to what it was many years ago.... not worth much.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I keep a wad of small denomination bills in one pants pocket (100's, 50's, 20's) to pay for taxis and incidental expenses. The 20's are on the outside so it's more difficult for a casual observer to calculate the total. Hopefully, I would have the presence of mind during a robbery to scatter the bills while running away at the same time shouting, "Fire! Fire!" at the top of my lungs. If the robbers have a choice, would they go after me or gather the bills scattered on the ground? Shouting, "Help! Help!" and many people look away not wanting to get involved. "Fire! Fire!" is more effective because it is a shared danger. They will gravitate towards you wanting to know the location of the fire.

Im sorry but ive seen this time and time again in numerous countries, why would you bother looking for a wallet when they are wearing these belt bags? you know they are using this for storage, be it there expensive camera or money it automatically makes you a target.

I don't know. Robbers prefer a sure thing rather than risk jail time on the assumption there is money or valuables inside a belt bag. Unless you open the belt bag and show there is something of value inside like a camera or money, why take the risk?  I have seen some Japanese and Chinese tourists with a belt bag containing a roll of toilet paper. A guide book must have recommended it because Philippine CRs sometimes lack tissue. I still think it was not a random robbery. The robbers knew the French visitor was carrying lots of money.

By the way, this type of armed robbery is less likely to happen in Cebu. If you attack a tourist, both the city and provincial government practice a different style of justice, much to the dismay of human rights groups.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

By the way, this type of armed robbery is less likely to happen in Cebu. If you attack a tourist, both the city and provincial government practice a different style of justice, much to the dismay of human rights groups.

As long as the 'right' people are killed....... who am I to say it is wrong. Of course this opens the door to the usual, standard, over used, booring arguments about 'when does it stop' and 'who gets to decide who dies'. You know the usual naysayers who try to stop a good thing.   :nudie:

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

boring
Posted
Posted

This sort of stuff scares the sh&t out of me.

I feel safe in Eastwood, but still always have my guard up there. 

I have been robbed before in Makati - well, my bag was stolen while I was doing something rather than removed from my by force.

I lost passport, P40,000, phone, glasses, wallet with all ID and credit cards. The lot. I was in the Phils on one of my first few visits with no money and no ID. 

It's lucky I didn't see it happen because I'd have put the fat bastard's head through the nearest wall...and possibly have ended up shot by one of his friends. Seeing him on CCTV walking out with my bag made me so mad. I found myself walking up and down the street hunting him and preparing to bury him. I even told the cops I was going to smash him...the cops were very good about it though. Useless, but nice to me about it ;)

Yep, I know the precautions about carrying all that stuff but there were certain circumstances that led to it...that's another post entirely. Most of it was insured except the cash. In all my trips there has been about a one hour period of time when I was loaded up with all that stuff in such a manner...very very unlucky indeed. 

• Like 3