Arghhh!!!! I Left My Android Smart Phone In A Taxi!!!

Bruce
Posted
Posted

On this trip, I brought 12 cell phones. 6 new in the box. Made it thru all checks with no trouble.... as usual! But then I went into Terminal 3 for the flight to Tacloban, the 1st check point when you enter the doors and the xray machines the guard saw them on his scanner and SHOUTED to his buddy and they wanted to know what I was doing with ALL THOSE CELL PHONES....... As if we did not know their diabolical plan..... I quickly whipped out the brochure for the charity and showed them I have a charity and the phones are a donation to the volunteers!

And it was "Have a nice flight, Sir!'............. :nudie:

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

On this trip, I brought 12 cell phones. 6 new in the box. Made it thru all checks with no trouble.... as usual! But then I went into Terminal 3 for the flight to Tacloban, the 1st check point when you enter the doors and the xray machines the guard saw them on his scanner and SHOUTED to his buddy and they wanted to know what I was doing with ALL THOSE CELL PHONES....... As if we did not know their diabolical plan..... I quickly whipped out the brochure for the charity and showed them I have a charity and the phones are a donation to the volunteers!

And it was "Have a nice flight, Sir!'............. :nudie:

That was close. I guarantee you they wanted them.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

That was close. I guarantee you they wanted them.

Yes. But wanting and getting are two different things..... These are not customs people, just the low wage earners clearing people as they enter the airport terminal front door. They don't have any business deciding on what enters other than weapons and related things.  

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Check out the AVG antivirus for android...  It's a free app.  And they have a "lost phone" option where they can have the phone ring, track it on a map, all the fun stuff and even when turned off!  I put it on my android and have used it twice now when I had no idea where I left my phone in the apartment...  Just had it ring a few times and voila!  It's cheaper than getting a new phone cause it's free!

Have you tried any others? I'm not too impressed with the fact that any of them are "free", if you're spending hundreds of dollars on one of these devices I would think you wouldn't mind spending $2 or 3 more to get the most reliable product to protect both the phone and your data. A lot of the free ones are very basic, you have to pay to get full features. I tried the trial version of Cerberus, it has great features and pinpointed the exact location of the phone precisely but I got way too many "device could not be located" when performing various tests and, according to the tech forums, this is a common complaint with no real solution. Samsung has a built in lost phone utility (Samsung Dive) but it's a lot more limited and the location is pretty far off. A lot of the articles I'm reading on this are 3+ years old. 

To be honest, I am not really all that sure what the big difference is between the AVG pay and free apps.  I have used the AVG Free on my computers for years  and have had AVG Free on my smartphone since I got one.  I got hooked on AVG Free back in the days I used (ugh) Windows and found that it was protecting me better than McAfee or Norton was - simply because it was actually picking up viruses the others were passing by.  I looked at the app you mentioned and I don't see any real difference between what they claim for what they can do.  One is free and the other is only a couple bucks...  I'd say go with the one you are happy with.

One thing about the free security and antivirus apps - you are so very right!  Most of them are garbage and not even worth looking at!

samatm
Posted
Posted

Gentlemen,   and ladies,    I make it a habit  to note the name and Taxi company and  unit number each time I hail a taxi.       I have recovered my Company laptop which was left in the boot.    and my portfolio with passports which were left in car ,  by knowing the the taxi company.    In one instance it was Ken Taxi.   A quick call to Kens dispatcher number led to the driver being summoned and he returned to my house with the laptop in 2hours.    The other instance, I notified our hotel the taxi company name- they called LTO , got the company number, called the company, the company called the driver and passports were in hand within an hour. 

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I need to start doing that. It may also help if you note that information in a way that the taxi driver notices.

The smartphone wasn't the first thing I have left in a taxi that wasn't recovered.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hummmmmm .... didn't they pass a law that ALL taxis must give you a printed receipt which has the cab number and company name ...... I ask this in jest because for the past year in Cebu they quit doing it or the machine was always out of paper or some other excuse ..... but this makes for a good case to have the law reimplemented ...... yea .... like they are really going to do that ...... something about the best laid plans of mice and men ....   :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery: 

By the way I still like my MyPhone Android it has everything I want including dual sim and Google Maps and Synic GPS ...... best thing it only cost me p4999 ...... :thumbsup:     :cheersty:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have used the AVG Free on my computers for years  and have had AVG Free on my smartphone since I got one.

I have also used AVG Free for years. I tried a few of the phone anti-theft apps and wasn't impressed with any. A lot of the web interfaces look like they're 20+ years old. I bought Cerberus for $4 thinking the "Problem communicating with your device" issue was mostly fixed but it mostly isn't. It apparently uses a connection with google talk which is notorious for losing connections with smartphones, that seems to be the gist of it. If it's not reliable it's useless. The built-in Samsung "Find my Mobile" seems to work fine and is free. It can even remotely unlock a locally installed p/w, pattern, etc if you forget it. Not a bad thing.

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

Hummmmmm .... didn't they pass a law that ALL taxis must give you a printed receipt which has the cab number and company name ...... I ask this in jest because for the past year in Cebu they quit doing it or the machine was always out of paper or some other excuse ..... but this makes for a good case to have the law reimplemented ...... yea .... like they are really going to do that ...... something about the best laid plans of mice and men ....   :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:

By the way I still like my MyPhone Android it has everything I want including dual sim and Google Maps and Synic GPS ...... best thing it only cost me p4999 ...... :thumbsup:     :cheersty:

Warning :  Thread HiJack in progresss:

Mike which Myphone model did you get?     I am seriously considering one.    As my HTC dual sim cracked its screen and the replacement  screen is over P7K.    

Does Google  maps and Gps work well?      Can you see the screen in bright day situations ok?   How is the phone quality..can you hear the other speakers clearly. etc. 

OK back to normal programming.. ..

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

As my HTC dual sim cracked its screen and the replacement screen is over P7K.

How does this work??? Was it a suicide attempt? Or.... perhaps YOU cracked your phones screen? :hystery:

We all learn from our mistakes, well most of us, and you should remember this for a long while whenever getting out of a taxi to check your 'valuables'. 

• Like 1