American Killed Inside His Coffee Shop(Ncr Area)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

That's my point. There is little law and justice in Philippines if someone wants you dead its easy and cheap with little risk of prosecution. THose members living in Philippines have to balance the risk - reward.

Living a simple life with no drama the risk would seem to be very low.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I am one who will always try to sit with my back to the wall regardless of where I am.  Old habits are hard to break.  And it has saved my butt a few times and in various countries around the world.  So is it a bad idea to do it in the Philippines?  Not at all!  But that's just me and something I always try to do.

There are many many places in this world that is worse for a foreigner than the Philippines - some of our home countries can be included in this list too.  We as a group are fixated on what happens in the Philippines and sometimes don't recognise what happens in other countries as easily.  Last year I know there were 7 Canadians killed in India and 5 in South Africa.  In the Philippines there was 1.  Even taking into consideration assaults along with murders, the Philippines is still not enough to get on the scale while places like the Dominican Republic has 1.6 incidents per 100,000 visits by Canadians.  Ok, sure, we Canadians don't have a very large population.  So why not take your own country and Google the stats?  You will definitely be surprised and hopefully grateful that you are a fan of the Philippines!  

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Why not choose where you sit more carefully. Keep your back against a wall and have a commanding view of the area. Pay attention to entrances and exits.

I also have done this ever sense I was crowned with a beer bottle when I was in my 20's ..... guy came up behind me and smacked me .... ever sense then I just watch what is going on around me and NEVER NEVER sit with my back to the room .... I really don't think about it now .... it just comes naturally .... same with walking by a window in the mall or street I always glance to see who is around me .... but as I said it all started in the US .... not here ..... I also don't sit at night in front of any window ..... again not being paranoid just old habits that are well developed and now second nature ..... sleep with my bed facing the door ..... these are all things you learn and don't even think about doing them .... in fact I had to actually stop and think of some of the things I do ..... like in driving I never pull right up behind someone ..... always leave an out where you can take off in a hurry should you need to ..... there are a lot of other things you can do but I fear some may think I spend all my time looking over my shoulder .... really it's not true .... I've lived in some pretty rough places and traveled with some pretty rough crowds and just learned to adapt ..... especially sense I'm now getting old and slow so I need all the extra edge I can get .... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :cheersty:

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Now kids.... Just because you have been diagnosed with a 'paranoid disorder'..... DOESN'T mean that no one is after you.... :thumbsup:

Possessing a good situational awareness is a good thing! Like that quote from WWI, if you hear the bullet wiz by, you are still alive. It is the bullet you do not hear that kills you. (I will let Bob explain the nuances with the relationship between the speed of sound and the FPS of a small arms projectile and why you do not hear the bullet that kills you)   

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted
 So why not take your own country and Google the stats?  You will definitely be surprised and hopefully grateful that you are a fan of the Philippines!  

I have done that Bob

Murders with a firearm.....Philippines,= 7,708....United Kingdom,= 39.......Quite a big difference.

Cannot find total number of murders in the Philippines, But as you can see, Murders just with a firearm 7,708 is way more than the total any kind of murder of 550 in the UK.....

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Cannot find total number of murders in the Philippines, But as you can see, Murders just with a firearm 7,708 is way more than the total any kind of murder of 550 in the UK.....

Quite quite.... Oh say old man... is the killing of a guest for adding milk into tea still justified? One must hope to maintain tradition in some fashion or another. :hystery:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Now kids.... Just because you have been diagnosed with a 'paranoid disorder'..... DOESN'T mean that no one is after you.... :thumbsup:

Possessing a good situational awareness is a good thing! Like that quote from WWI, if you hear the bullet wiz by, you are still alive. It is the bullet you do not hear that kills you. (I will let Bob explain the nuances with the relationship between the speed of sound and the FPS of a small arms projectile and why you do not hear the bullet that kills you)   

Are we speaking of subsonic rounds or...?

Actually that is a very false statement, Bruce.  There are many ways a person can hear the shot that does eventually kill them...  Just think of the poor kids last New Years...  Some idiot fires a gun into the air and the round comes down and hits someone in the head...  And, you didn't mention if things like "lead poisoning" and infections are included...  Let's not forget the joys of a through-and-through that takes a major artery out at the same time...  Or even....

Oops...  Kind of off topic?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

So why not take your own country and Google the stats?  You will definitely be surprised and hopefully grateful that you are a fan of the Philippines!  

I have done that Bob

Murders with a firearm.....Philippines,= 7,708....United Kingdom,= 39.......Quite a big difference.

Yes, that number is way too high!

But break your figures down to show tourists who were murdered or assaulted and see what you end up with...

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Are we speaking of subsonic rounds or...?

Actually that is a very false statement, Bruce.  There are many ways a person can hear the shot that does eventually kill them...  Just think of the poor kids last New Years...  Some idiot fires a gun into the air and the round comes down and hits someone in the head...  And, you didn't mention if things like "lead poisoning" and infections are included...  Let's not forget the joys of a through-and-through that takes a major artery out at the same time...  Or even....

Oops...  Kind of off topic?

True... I was thinking more along the lines of actually being shot at in a straight line. But you raised some valid variables.... :thumbsup:

Americano
Posted
Posted

A business deal gone wrong?  An angry relative?  A pissed off customer who seeks revenge?  All of these are possible but it could have also been his wife's Filipino boyfriend.  If the boyfriend is not receiving the amount of money he expects from the rich foreigner or if she says my husband is bigger than you then its time to eliminate the husband.  This is a very real problem in the Philippines that is usually covered up by investigators and not reported by the media.

• Like 3