Gardens Or Hobby Farming In Philippines

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Any members playing around with a small farm or have a gardening project they would like to share?

Due to the climate in Philippines growing tomatoes, melons and other things year round should not be a problem. Flower and vegetables gardens would be a fun hobby I'm curious if anyone has the room or time to garden?

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well ... not sure this qualifies but here are a few things we are doing .... we had to put up a bamboo fence in the back year to keep the goats out so we just got started growing a few things .... soil here is terrible ... mostly clay and stones so we had to get our own soil and plant out stuff like the locals do .... in used tires .... :hystery:  ... but hey it works but definitely not for commercial use ... :mocking:  .... so far all we have is tomatoes (not the little tiny ones you see in the store) ...... bell peppers .... chili-peppers some malunggay (everybody should have some of that) and lots of plants .... works out nice as it doesn't take all day to mess with this stuff so it makes a nice hobby .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

TOMATOES  post-11-0-11059600-1371948753_thumb.jpg ...... BELL PEPPERS post-11-0-05294700-1371948835_thumb.jpg .....

CHILI PEPPERS post-11-0-72391000-1371948912_thumb.jpg ...... MALUNGGAY post-11-0-99823500-1371948977_thumb.jpg .....

PLANTS post-11-0-01235500-1371949040_thumb.jpg ..... post-11-0-65987000-1371949090_thumb.jpg ...... post-11-0-29715000-1371949127_thumb.jpg ........ post-11-0-70980900-1371949157_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know two hobby farming projects in the Philippines. 

The first is La Finca near Lipa City, Batangas. This is a high end gated community selling 1,000 sqm land plots where you can build a weekend executive home and start a fruits and vegetable garden. They have an agronomist available to help the owners. You can also contract with their farm management unit to plant and maintain your gardens. It is really more like a large resort complex. The selling price is P 3,100 per square meter or P 3.1 million a plot. 

The second is in Malvar, Batangas for organic vegetables, fruits and medicinal plants. The package, including planting is P 1,500 per square meter or P 1.5 million a plot. This one is more simple and looks very rural. It is not a gated community. There are no Olympic size swimming pool or clubhouse. I will look for the photographs and post them.

A close friend in California owns an 18 hectares in Calamba, Laguna. She is asking me for ideas on what to do with the property. The hobby farm idea struck me as a possibility. The market would be Filipino Americans who are thinking about retiring the Philippines. They could purchase the 1,000 square meters plot and we could start with fruit trees. The vegetable gardens would be planted about one year before their expected arrival. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Our lot in Moalboal is 1200 meters.  We had Lani's parents plant a dozen or so fruit trees.  After we arrive we plan on adding vegetable and flower gardens,  I will post some photos after we move.  Should be about 2-3 months.     :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike looking forward to viewing your project. Do you have any idea what you may grow?

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike looking forward to viewing your project. Do you have any idea what you may grow?

Hey Dan, I believe Mike failed to mention his specialty in homegrown medicinal herbs:

post-686-0-42588500-1371965076_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

LOL, I don't think that is the crop Mike had in mind! That stuff could get you in a world of hurt over there.

I like Moalboal even though I don't dive any more. There seems to always be a nice breeze blowing off the sea.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Attached photographs are from the Malvar Organic Farms in Batangas. The first is a nipa house under construction and the start of a 1,000 square meters hobby farm. Remaining photos are from a more developed section of the property. The package is P 1.5 million for land and vegetable gardens. The nipa houses are an additional P 500,000.  

post-1632-0-19262600-1372001512_thumb.jp

post-1632-0-72185600-1372001533_thumb.jp

post-1632-0-97099500-1372001544_thumb.jp

post-1632-0-39555600-1372001556_thumb.jp

post-1632-0-94616900-1372001569_thumb.jp

post-1632-0-88353800-1372001587_thumb.jp

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The trees  include Avocado, two varieties of Orange, Mangosteen, Mango, Papaya, Kalamansi, Rambutan, Banana, Passion Fruit, and dwarf coconut.  After we arrive we plan on adding various vegetables like peppers, bitter melon, green beans, okra,  tomatoes, etc.  Papa is currently growing corn.  We can buy all of these at the local market, but fresh is always better and I like to garden.  Any surplus food can be sold by the family.  There will also be herbs.  Sorry Jake, cooking herbs, not smoking herbs!  I also ordered a book from Amazon.con on  Aquaponics and may give that a try.  My wife and I both love flowers, so we will always find space for them.  By the way, it is no accident that Durian is NOT one of the trees that we had planted.  :1927_:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Any members playing around with a small farm or have a gardening project they would like to share?

Due to the climate in Philippines growing tomatoes, melons and other things year round should not be a problem. Flower and vegetables gardens would be a fun hobby I'm curious if anyone has the room or time to garden?

Not I, one of the business ideas I think of is to make a profesional one, if I can solve geting trustable Filipin partners for the 60 % I'm not allowed to own myself. (Or I will do as a friend of mine (=wait until geting a Fil-Swedish child, and put land in her name.)

But I know a project at the west coast of Luzon rather close to Sancta Cruz, where you can get 200 m2 for own farming, if you pay MUCH TO MUCH for share of their project   :hystery: