Gardens Or Hobby Farming In Philippines

Thomas
Posted
Posted
vermiculture
I will do such too.

I have studied natural fighting methods, instead of pestisides, suiting the Philippines. E g a special spider type can be breed  :)  to fight one type. I haven't found complete methods against all types yet, but I know where I can ask  :)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Aquaponics is a very efficient way of producing your own fish and fruit/veg. No need to worry about the quality of the soil, you don't use any, definitely a great project for the Phils. There are a few people doing it in the Phils already, I found some info on it once. Google

Aquaponics is a good large backyard project in the Philippines. In my opinion, and this is very subjective, is the fish and vegetables are lacking in taste. 

I could see this if grown indoors, most local pot farmers did that before Washington State legalized it.

Perhaps if soil were very difficult to get or if pests were a factor using an aquaponics system i Philippines would be worthwhile other wise it would be expensive?

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Looks good Dan! I'll be right over as your permanent visitor......he, he.

Aug 2015 is end of work.

April 2016 is move date!

New home with two spare guest room,...come on over Jake :dance:

• Like 3

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not expensive unless you go out and buy commercial systems, simple DIY and usually mostly second hand parts. Your fish give wonderful manure for the plants and the plants clean the water for the fish. No weeding, no bending, no soil needed and once you have your system it lasts for ages.

I just googled diy aquaponics in the philippines  and found a forum

Also this http://buildyourownaquaponics.info/

Edited by Curley
  • Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

One the things that started my interest in aquaponics was the desire for organic fruit and veg plus I love fish but looking at the rivers and shores of the Philippines with the shore lines packed with shanties full of people with the sea or river as their only sanitary system made me realise just what the fish were eating! Think I'll grow my own, the exercise and mental interest will do me as much good as the quality food.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I will do such too. I have studied natural fighting methods, instead of pestisides, suiting the Philippines. E g a special spider type can be breed    to fight one type. I haven't found complete methods against all types yet, but I know where I can ask  

When you are ready, check the websites for Costales Nature Farm and Herbana organic Farm for courses that teach natural farming. The owner of Herbana has a booth every Saturday at the Salcedo Village Farmers' Market selling organic vegetables. This is another way to contact him. His name is Gil Carandang.  I have photographs taken at Costales, which I will post as a separate topic.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
One the things that started my interest in aquaponics was the desire for organic fruit and veg plus I love fish but looking at the rivers and shores of the Philippines with the shore lines packed with shanties full of people with the sea or river as their only sanitary system made me realise just what the fish were eating! Think I'll grow my own, the exercise and mental interest will do me as much good as the quality food.

Food safety, as in visiting the producers who are growing the food you will eat, is also top of my list for the Philippines. The relationship benefits both. Farmers in the Philippines receive less than 12% of the retail price for their produce, according to studies by SEARCA (South East Asia Research Center for Agriculture) located at UP College of Agriculture in Los Banos. The other 88% goes to a complex supply chain. By going to the organic farms, you can get a 50% discount. The other method is a 40% discount using the CSA (Consumer Supported Agriculture) method started in Japan. It is now very popular both in the United States and Europe. The value of the produce is easy to determine since the Philippine Bureau of Agricultural Statistics publishes the wholesale and retail prices of all produce three times a week on their website.

Even better is to grow your own food.    

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
Aug 2015 is end of work. April 2016 is move date! New home with two spare guest room,...come on over Jake

Don't forget to PM me as to your location. My wife will bring the Finnish traditional house warming gift of bread and salt. I will bring the Russian version, which is two bottles of vodka. The vodka is for consumption during my visit. (I just made that up.)

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

piglett
Posted
Posted

Food safety, as in visiting the producers who are growing the food you will eat, is also top of my list for the Philippines. The relationship benefits both. Farmers in the Philippines receive less than 12% of the retail price for their produce, according to studies by SEARCA (South East Asia Research Center for Agriculture) located at UP College of Agriculture in Los Banos. The other 88% goes to a complex supply chain.    

that is something that really burns my @ss

the farmer does all the hard work & get 12%

if the store makes 30% so should the farmer

the rest can go to transport the crop & such

i would think the farmers would want to send there childeren to college

so they can then start their own farm co-op or something

then sell straight to the stores

tell the middle men to go get a job & start working for their money

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Its worse in that often times many small Filipino farmers borrow against the next crop and end up with little or nothing.