Gardens Or Hobby Farming In Philippines

Thomas
Posted
Posted
No money in mango especially if you only have a few trees. It may take 8 to 10 years before the first fruiting. The trees require 20 years to mature.
Do you mean no money in the "SHORT" view, because it take years until the trees give fruit?  

Yes it take some years (5-6 years until first fruit from planting PLANTS.) But from that it gave more and more until they reach around 2 metric TONS per TREE. If planting exporting type (=carabao) it sound rather good, I think  :)

NOTE! Mango trees need to be planted at least 8 meters appart to give full crop, when they get big, so during the no and low crop mango years, there are space for OTHER crops IN BETWEEN the trees.

So "Mango farms" don't need to get zero income before they can harvest mango   :)    e g from vegs or pappaya.

I will do such too. I have studied natural fighting methods, instead of pestisides, suiting the Philippines. E g a special spider type can be breed    to fight one type. I haven't found complete methods against all types yet, but I know where I can ask  

When you are ready, check the websites for Costales Nature Farm and Herbana organic Farm for courses that teach natural farming. The owner of Herbana has a booth every Saturday at the Salcedo Village Farmers' Market selling organic vegetables. This is another way to contact him. His name is Gil Carandang.  I have photographs taken at Costales, which I will post as a separate topic.

Yes, perhaps them. I have notes of a few others too, It depend of who is closest to where I will be, I don't like travelling  :)

Or I delegate, let some other go   :)    I plan to employ someone to take the daily care anyway.

I have found most information allready, just missing how to fight a few of the possible illnesses, but some practise can be good before starting own.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
There is a group planning to manufacture bamboo bungalows in a factory and ship the parts in a container. With prior ground preparation, the bungalows are assembled on location within 3 to 5 days by a trained crew. The estimate is $10,000 to $20,000 for a two bedroom unit.

JJ, any idea as to when these bungalows become available?  And, any idea of the cost of shipping to Marinduque?

Thanks.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
JJ, any idea as to when these bungalows become available?  And, any idea of the cost of shipping to Marinduque?   Thanks.

We already have the designer and construction team. The bamboo treatment and manufacturing plant might be Negros Oriental because of the available bamboo and artisans. I am hoping we can get model units finished by this time next year.

The price of $10,000 to $20,000 includes the delivery of the kit anywhere in the Philippines and sending two or three workers who are experienced in the assembly. It takes 3 to 5 days after the container arrives to complete the construction. The owner needs to prepare the ground including sewage, electricity and concrete poles or flooring. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Do you mean no money in the "SHORT" view, because it take years until the trees give fruit?   Yes it take some years (5-6 years until first fruit from planting PLANTS.) But from that it gave more and more until they reach around 2 metric TONS per TREE. If planting exporting type (=carabao) it sound rather good, I think     NOTE! Mango trees need to be planted at least 8 meters appart to give full crop, when they get big, so during the no and low crop mango years, there are space for OTHER crops IN BETWEEN the trees. So "Mango farms" don't need to get zero income before they can harvest mango      e g from vegs or pappaya.

I will send you a PM tomorrow morning.

fred
Posted
Posted

Thomas, JJ have ether of you guys actively growing anything?

In those pictures JJ, I can see the raised garden beds. Most of the low laying land I have seen has very little top soil unless near a river or delta. I guess in most cases a raised bed of top soil is necessary. My garden here in the cool NW requires a raised bed to warm the soil.

Mike, why would you use aqua-phonics in Philippines? I bet you could grow some huge tomatoes!

Aquaponics is a very efficient way of producing your own fish and fruit/veg. No need to worry about the quality of the soil, you don't use any, definitely a great project for the Phils. There are a few people doing it in the Phils already, I found some info on it once. Google

Curly.

Where we live in Bohol,there is often very little rain and the gardening thing can be a bit frustrating..The other problem here are a multitude of pests that wipe out most crops at will..

Anyway..Back to the lack of rain..

I decided about 4 months ago to build a 9,000 liter Koy pond.. The final Biological filter is up about 7 feet high and I have built 3 streams that lead back to the pond..

In the streams I place potted plants and vegetables like Jalapenos etc.. The main purpose of this was because the plants act as a natural filter and consume nitrates produces by the biological filter.

Of course,this is also a variant of aquaponics and guess what?

Everything is growing fantastically! 

Its the first time I've ever tried anything like this and Im really impressed with early results.. 

One area outside the pond,is a second pond about 12" deep.. I am planting Filipino Gabby leaves (In pots) and even rice. Again,everything near that pond grows like nothing else in the garden.

I will experiment growing stuff without soil to see for myself if the veg produced has any difference in flavour and I will post the results when they are in..

Here`s an early pic during construction of outside section. (A type of refugium)

newpond4_zps48688669.jpg

Cheers,

Fred.

brock
Posted
Posted

Love the pond Fred, Well done.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
those sound really neat! 1 would make a fine guest house on my farm   i want to build something that will stand 100 years i'm thinking 3 to 1 mix concrete with lots of rebar the roof will be concrete too  & it will be a 1/2 circle (i bet the storms will find it hard to blow that off) the footings will sit on a foot of crushed stone in the event of an earth quake the whole house can move if it wishes   i'm only planning on building 1 so i might as well build er good & stout

Research studies show that what causes the most damage from hurricanes and typhoons is when the roof blows off. Sometimes the entire roof is lift by the wind. In the Philippines, those corrugated metal sheets act like giant razor blades. They can cut a person in half. The solution is to use hurricanes clips. It's a clamping system integrating the roof through the posts all the way to the ground. All new construction in Hawaii and Florida requires the mandatory use of these clips. 

The use of crushed rocks as a base and pouring a slab of concrete on top is similar to a famous design called a, "floating foundation." It was developed by Frank Lyold Wright for the Imperial Hotel in Japan. The Tokyo Earthquake of 1923 destroyed the city and the Imperial Hotel was one of the few structures left standing.

In the Philippines, bamboo is considered a poor man's construction material, which means the poor won't touch it. The poor prefer corrugated metal roofs. Without a drop ceiling, they are hotter than hell and noisy when it rains. The current rage in the United States and Europe is laminate flooring rather than carpeting. A top seller is laminate bamboo tiles.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Research studies show that what causes the most damage from hurricanes and typhoons is when the roof blows off. Sometimes the entire roof is lift by the wind. In the Philippines, those corrugated metal sheets act like giant razor blades. They can cut a person in half. The solution is to use hurricanes clips. It's a clamping system integrating the roof through the posts all the way to the ground. All new construction in Hawaii and Florida requires the mandatory use of these clips. 

Yes. And an American test shows it's bigest risk the LOWER angle roofs fly away, because such risk to make LIFT powers as for airplane wings,

while the HIGHER angle roofs (e g 45 degrees) are more likely to be PRESSED DOWN by the wind,

(But it depends of how the bottom connections are done too, when they are on houses.)

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
We already have the designer and construction team. The bamboo treatment and manufacturing plant might be Negros Oriental because of the available bamboo and artisans. I am hoping we can get model units finished by this time next year. The price of $10,000 to $20,000 includes the delivery of the kit anywhere in the Philippines and sending two or three workers who are experienced in the assembly. It takes 3 to 5 days after the container arrives to complete the construction. The owner needs to prepare the ground including sewage, electricity and concrete poles or flooring.

I have seen the artist's rendering that you previously posted under Bamboo Bungalows.  I would be eager to see how the ones to be manufactured in Negros would look. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I have seen the artist's rendering that you previously posted under Bamboo Bungalows.  I would be eager to see how the ones to be manufactured in Negros would look. 

I will send you a PM.