Gardens Or Hobby Farming In Philippines

Jake
Posted
Posted

Food safety, as in visiting the producers who are growing the food you will eat, is also top of my list for the Philippines. The relationship benefits both. Farmers in the Philippines receive less than 12% of the retail price for their produce, according to studies by SEARCA (South East Asia Research Center for Agriculture) located at UP College of Agriculture in Los Banos. The other 88% goes to a complex supply chain.    

that is something that really burns my @ss

the farmer does all the hard work & get 12%

if the store makes 30% so should the farmer

the rest can go to transport the crop & such

i would think the farmers would want to send there childeren to college

so they can then start their own farm co-op or something

then sell straight to the stores

tell the middle men to go get a job & start working for their money

Hey Piglet,

Glad to see you have found us again.  We missed you....grab some coffee or some beer

and stay for awhile.....he, he.

Mike S
Posted
Posted
tell the middle men to go get a job & start working for their money

I quote Sir Jake .... good to see you back .....

While I agree with you in sentiment logic tells me that with out these middle men who have tons of contacts to markets the farmer doesn't have I'm  afraid the farmer couldn't move his crops he has to spend his time growing them and doesn't have the time to go and find buyers and such ..... this is where the middle man comes in ... he has all the big contracts and knows who is buying what .... now big companies like SM ... Ayala and Robinson just to mention a few will actually go to the fields and buy direct as they don't want to pay the middle man either and the farmer benefits more from this type of dealings BUT he must produce a substantial amount of produce .... also some middle men actually buy up next years crop before it is harvested like the orange crops in Florida (I lived in the middle of an orange grove in Florida) and the juice mills would buy up crops in advance and put them under contracts so they would be sure of having fruit to make products from the next year ..... quite a gamble .... sure but if all the fruit gets sold and you have none to process you and your mill go broke .... JMHO ... :thumbsup: 

:cheersty:  

piglett
Posted
Posted

Its worse in that often times many small Filipino farmers borrow against the next crop and end up with little or nothing.

like i said send the kids off to manila or cebu to learn business

many pinoys only have a 6th grade education which doesn't help

• Like 1

piglett
Posted
Posted (edited)

been lots going on here in the states over the past year

wife arriving, getting her settled & all that kind of deal

my wife & i are looking next year to buy about 1 hector in the province where she is from (Romblon)

it would be her land because i can't own any there, which is fine with me.

what we have an eye on (next to her parents place) already has a few coconut trees (about 15)

we would add mango,papya,bananna ect so the "farm" would bring in a little money

i know the money is in rubber trees if we can find where the market is for that product.

my farther inlaw would be incharge of the farming end of things

we would split any profit 50/50

our part would go back into the place to improve it further

i would say we would also be looking to just build a small (12'x24')store near the street at 1st

(we could stay in the back room for the couple week out of the year that we are in the "PI" )

also this would give here sister inlaw something to do during the day

the rest of the family either runs their own small business

or has been to college & already has a job (no slackers in this family)

that just leaves the sister inlaw who has a small child to care for (which she can do while running the store. (her husband works on a container ship)

years later we would probably be looking to add a poured concrete house in the middle of the property which is a hill

it's not all that steep but still a hill. this should give us a great view of the ocean but no real chance of having to worry about the tide washing the house away. 

take care all

piglett

Edited by piglett
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
  my wife & i are looking next year to buy about 1 hector in the province where she is from (Romblon) it would be her land because i can't own any there, which is fine with me. what we have an eye on (next to her parents place) already has a few coconut trees (about 15) we would add mango,papya,bananna ect so the "farm" would bring in a little money i know the money is in rubber trees if we can find where the market is for that product. my farther inlaw would be incharge of the farming end of things we would split any profit 50/50 our part would go back into the place to improve it further

Have a lawyer document your role in purchasing the one hectare property as in, "Who paid for it?" This gives you rights under Philippine law. If your wife passes away first, the law provides a reasonable amount of time for you to sell. If you build a house, you may want to continue living there. A relative cannot claim the land and get you evicted. Technically the house is yours even if you don't own the land. This has to be documented by a lawyer.

Unless they are dwarf coconut trees, the coconuts planted on the property are a safety hazard. The nuts can fall and kill you. No money in mango especially if you only have a few trees. It may take 8 to 10 years before the first fruiting. The trees require 20 years to mature. The mangoes attract flies when they flower. Flies are the pollinators in the Philippines. Commercial bees are a more recent introduction. 

If you want a cash crop, try bananas and papayas. You can start earning some revenues after a year and a half. Forget coffee and rubber trees. You are under the mercy of large corporations who entice small area farmers with attractive prices for a couple years. Then the wholesale prices plunge. 

Unless your father-in-law is very strict, consider the one hectare as a hobby farm to help feed everyone including a few neighbors. Feel happy if it is break even. A small Sari-Sari store makes no money because most customers are buying on credit. You maintain a long list of constant debtors. All your suppliers demand cash on delivery  or cash when you pick-up from their warehouse. The United States retail industry survives on a 30, 60, 90 days credit system. The large retail stores hope to sell the inventory before payments are due. In the US, the "category killers" like Walmart wiped out most of the mom & pop stores because of lower prices. The Sari-Sari stores survive because of the credit system. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
years later we would probably be looking to add a poured concrete house in the middle of the property which is a hill it's not all that steep but still a hill. this should give us a great view of the ocean but no real chance of having to worry about the tide washing the house away. 

There is a group planning to manufacture bamboo bungalows in a factory and ship the parts in a container. With prior ground preparation, the bungalows are assembled on location within 3 to 5 days by a trained crew. The estimate is $10,000 to $20,000 for a two bedroom unit. This are not your typical "bahay kubo" where the termites move in before the owners. The poles are treated with an environmentally friendly process using boron salts. The process removes the starch, which is what termites and wood boring insects eat. The remaining salts makes the bamboo more durable and fire resistant. A joinery system invented in Hawaii allows the bamboo bungalow to flex during earthquake and resist typhoon winds up to 160 kilometers per hour. The roof is a poly carbonate material that looks like grass. The advantage is the roof is fire resistant. 

The floor could be poured concrete with laminate bamboo tiles or the more traditional bamboo slits. This is the natural air conditioning system that keeps a bamboo home cool even during summer months. Japanese farmhouses built with bamboo are known to last 200 years. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

been lots going on here in the states over the past year

wife arriving, getting her settled & all that kind of deal

my wife & i are looking next year to buy about 1 hector in the province where she is from (Romblon)

it would be her land because i can't own any there, which is fine with me.

what we have an eye on (next to her parents place) already has a few coconut trees (about 15)

we would add mango,papya,bananna ect so the "farm" would bring in a little money

i know the money is in rubber trees if we can find where the market is for that product.

my farther inlaw would be incharge of the farming end of things

we would split any profit 50/50

our part would go back into the place to improve it further

i would say we would also be looking to just build a small (12'x24')store near the street at 1st

(we could stay in the back room for the couple week out of the year that we are in the "PI" )

also this would give here sister inlaw something to do during the day

the rest of the family either runs their own small business

or has been to college & already has a job (no slackers in this family)

that just leaves the sister inlaw who has a small child to care for (which she can do while running the store. (her husband works on a container ship)

years later we would probably be looking to add a poured concrete house in the middle of the property which is a hill

it's not all that steep but still a hill. this should give us a great view of the ocean but no real chance of having to worry about the tide washing the house away. 

take care all

piglett

Thanks for the update, sounds like you have a lot of good things going on. :541:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Its worse in that often times many small Filipino farmers borrow against the next crop and end up with little or nothing.

Yes. It's common farmers get 67-75% of the "farmers share" by such loans. 

piglett
Posted
Posted

my wife & i are looking next year to buy about 1 hector in the province where she is from (Romblon) it would be her land because i can't own any there, which is fine with me. what we have an eye on (next to her parents place) already has a few coconut trees (about 15) we would add mango,papya,bananna ect so the "farm" would bring in a little money i know the money is in rubber trees if we can find where the market is for that product. my farther inlaw would be incharge of the farming end of things we would split any profit 50/50 our part would go back into the place to improve it further

Have a lawyer document your role in purchasing the one hectare property as in, "Who paid for it?" This gives you rights under Philippine law. If your wife passes away first, the law provides a reasonable amount of time for you to sell. If you build a house, you may want to continue living there. A relative cannot claim the land and get you evicted. Technically the house is yours even if you don't own the land. This has to be documented by a lawyer.

Unless they are dwarf coconut trees, the coconuts planted on the property are a safety hazard. The nuts can fall and kill you. No money in mango especially if you only have a few trees. It may take 8 to 10 years before the first fruiting. The trees require 20 years to mature. The mangoes attract flies when they flower. Flies are the pollinators in the Philippines. Commercial bees are a more recent introduction. 

If you want a cash crop, try bananas and papayas. You can start earning some revenues after a year and a half. Forget coffee and rubber trees. You are under the mercy of large corporations who entice small area farmers with attractive prices for a couple years. Then the wholesale prices plunge. 

Unless your father-in-law is very strict, consider the one hectare as a hobby farm to help feed everyone including a few neighbors. Feel happy if it is break even. A small Sari-Sari store makes no money because most customers are buying on credit. You maintain a long list of constant debtors. All your suppliers demand cash on delivery  or cash when you pick-up from their warehouse. The United States retail industry survives on a 30, 60, 90 days credit system. The large retail stores hope to sell the inventory before payments are due. In the US, the "category killers" like Walmart wiped out most of the mom & pop stores because of lower prices. The Sari-Sari stores survive because of the credit system. 

thanks for the info on the rubber trees

my farther inlaw quit school when he was in the 6th grade because his farther got sick

so he as the oldest son had to become the bread winner for the family

he put 7 younger sibling through college

& all of his childeren but the youngest son (my wife & i took care of the youngest college ourselves)

so long story short the old man isn't going to be giving all the goodies away

he will keep a watchfull eye what's going on

after all the more the farm makes the bigger his cut is

my sister inlaw is a lawyer in the province

she is working for the local gov. plus teaching law at the college on the side.

we plan on having her take care of all the legal stuff so there are no problems years from now

now if my wife dies before i do can the land go to our kids?

even if they are born in the states?

thanks

piglett

• Like 1

piglett
Posted
Posted

years later we would probably be looking to add a poured concrete house in the middle of the property which is a hill it's not all that steep but still a hill. this should give us a great view of the ocean but no real chance of having to worry about the tide washing the house away. 

There is a group planning to manufacture bamboo bungalows in a factory and ship the parts in a container. With prior ground preparation, the bungalows are assembled on location within 3 to 5 days by a trained crew. The estimate is $10,000 to $20,000 for a two bedroom unit. This are not your typical "bahay kubo" where the termites move in before the owners. The poles are treated with an environmentally friendly process using boron salts. The process removes the starch, which is what termites and wood boring insects eat. The remaining salts makes the bamboo more durable and fire resistant. A joinery system invented in Hawaii allows the bamboo bungalow to flex during earthquake and resist typhoon winds up to 160 kilometers per hour. The roof is a poly carbonate material that looks like grass. The advantage is the roof is fire resistant. 

The floor could be poured concrete with laminate bamboo tiles or the more traditional bamboo slits. This is the natural air conditioning system that keeps a bamboo home cool even during summer months. Japanese farmhouses built with bamboo are known to last 200 years. 

those sound really neat!

1 would make a fine guest house on my farm :tiphat:

i want to build something that will stand 100 years

i'm thinking 3 to 1 mix concrete with lots of rebar

the roof will be concrete too  & it will be a 1/2 circle (i bet the storms will find it hard to blow that off) :mocking:

the footings will sit on a foot of crushed stone

in the event of an earth quake the whole house can move if it wishes

i'm only planning on building 1 so i might as well build er good & stout :thumbsup:

piglett

• Like 1