Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I am definately a minamalist, but my wife sets the example. She's mainly into sardines, dried fish, and rice, with a little pork here and there. Although my budget won't be a problem when I get there, we make a good team as far as being frugal goes.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

we make a good team as far as being frugal goes.

Thats the magic word, TEAM, working together will get you there quicker

• Like 2

tweetie
Posted
Posted

Yes..$1K can limit the places you can live in, at the same time, you can live a comfortable life here...suggestions, since you plan to retire here for good..buy a house and a car...everday lving expenses after that will be easy with your budget...you can even afford to take vacation around the island once in awhile and if you hve children can even afford to send them to school..depends on the kind of school you will send them to though and how many children you have :)

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

we make a good team as far as being frugal goes.

Thats the magic word, TEAM, working together will get you there quicker

We are both pretty frugal... but there are a lot of stores here with tempting purses and shoes.   And I seem to have married Imelda Marcos ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Coffeehound
Posted
Posted

Haven't we all...

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

According to the late Freddie Clemo, when Imelda was shown the shoe collection in  the Malacanang, she said, loudly, "Two pairs are missing!" 

(What do I know about shoes? Well, I know that a Philippines seven in ladies shoes is an English four and a half.... wonder why I know that....!)

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Jake brings up many excellent points. Going from west to east when you are on a tight budget is going to require that you be adaptable. It all depends on the life you expect to live. I believe you could have an apartment or house rented, eat reasonably well and have your utilities for $600 a month, but nothing fancy by western standards. On my ex's parents farm, that would be living high on the hog for 4 people, but it's a tin roof nipa house, which is not that bad, don't knock it til you've tried it, but I digress. $600 a month to reside in an approximation of western style. $60 a month for visa, card and such, if you are on the tourist visa, not including travel to and from the BOI office. Got a girlfriend? add more to the food, eating out, gifts, a little local travel, help out GF's mom and dad a little and you are probably over the $1k budget by at least $50.

This is probably without a car. I love having my own car, I own an antique car, a suv and a pickup truck right now, but I am going to try to get by without a car in the Philippines and not buy one unless I have to, or until I get settled, a vehicle cost you to keep it roadworthy whether you drive it or not and trust me, having lived on an island, you don't drive as much [if you live on Luzon it might be a different story]. It's not just that fuel is more expensive, it is, it's also that there is not that far to go, the ferry to another island while not hugely expensive is going to cost you both ways, you are going to bring the car back home, right? The cost of cars on an island are high also. A welded back together and made shiny multicab, rescued from a Japanese junkyard after 10 years on road in Japan, is about 45% of the cost of a brand new one, that has a 100k km warantee. The new multicab would also have a better engine that would be able to handle the A/C compressor. Think about it. If you learn to deal with piratical cab/trike drivers, I should not leave out Van hires, you would have to travel far and frequently to save money with a car. There are liability issues also, even if it's not your fault in an accident, the one with the ability to pay, pays, or you pay a lawyer, but you still pay.

If you need medicine, it can be much more expensive in the Philippines,or even unavailable. I am bringing a bunch of aspirin and some over the counter things and vitamins because Walmart has not penetrated the Philippines. If you are likely to need the medical safety net that a western country provides, maybe you should just visit the Philippines because the safety net doesn't really exist there.

There are alot of nice things about the Philippines, I mean that if I wanted to be on a beach, today, from where I am I would need plane tickets, in the Philippines I would text a trike driver and likely be there in 20 minutes.. I can get a decent lunch out for about 300 piso, less if I were not such a chow hound. Then there is the joy of having your GF get mad at you because another pretty girl smiled at you and you smiled back. How can you put a price on something like that? :thumbsup:

You can live in the Philippines on your own terms and not the Philippines terms, all it takes is money, probably more money than it costs to live in a western country but probably less than it would cost to live near a good beach in a western country.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Very well put Bob, i agree with everything you say, and my budget is still going to be very very low,

I dont intend to have any sort of business over in the Phils at all, so i cannot worry about not making any money to pay the bills, the reason i am going to give the Phils a try is because i want too, if it does not work well i would have lost nothing, i would have had a great holiday, and i would just come back to England and try another country,

Again Bob well said :thumbsup:

• Like 4