Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Saying you can't do it without submitting a budget is if you excuse me,is null. I have no idea how much these people pay in rent. Poker Mike, you have said that you are looking at $1500 a month in rent elsewhere, I can pay $150 a month in rent and be comfortable, it's the difference between a luxury condo and an apartment. I have no way of knowing if those guys eat out 3 times a day, try to keep their residence at a constant 70 degrees or anywhere else that I might cut their budget because it just doesn't mean that much to me. It's funny that the guy living on $2,500 says that $3,000 was the magic number. When Howard Hughs was asked how much money was enough? His answer was "Just a little bit more". I respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it. I do have to ask if the sickly guy with $900 a month has the ability to escape back, and if he does, why hasn't he used it?

Edited by robert k
  • Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
i know for a fact i have no chance of living on less than $3,000 a month US.

Wow!  Everyone has different needs.... but I never made $3,000 a month in the US ha ha.  And I raised 2 kids on my own.  :tiphat:

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

JOKE:

This is the thread that never ends.

It goes on and on my friends.

Some people started posting here not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue posting here, together just because:

This is the thread that never ends . . .

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have said it before in this thread and in others, submitted my budget, produced my video of where I live etc.

I am currently teaching earning less than 50K pesos a month. I live well, not in a gated community but with locals. I live in a comfortable house with two bedrooms and two bathrooms, gated car port etc. Have a car, paid for, up to date with stickers etc.

I have lived on less here, and lived on more.

I was earning over 580,000 pesos a month in the UK, and at the end of most months I was broke! Paying for a mortgage through the teeth, and had debts. Yes I had my Jag and my TVR, now I only have a 14 year old owner, but it has seat belts, emergency brake, A/C and... doors. It gets me where I need to go .... safely. Most of all I don't drive around with a large target on my back, saying I have more money than most people around me.

Some months we can save a little, some not. If I had to bet back to the UK or Canada for medical care, I would struggle, but I guess with a little help I could do it. My goal is to be able to do it without a little help and hopefully, I can save that along with seed money for a business for my wife, and education fund for my daughter.

So yes, I am living proof that it can be done! 

I also have lived in Manila, and Negros Oriental, and now in Angeles. I have seen expats who live like kings here, some have spent fortunes building their dream home, and others who live in places considerable less comfortable than mine. Most spend too much money, and therefore run out. Trying to live a lifestyle that they lived in before coming here probably. Some have the money to do that, but most do not.

It depends on what you want, it may surprise you on how much you can change, no matter your age, once you are here, and in the arms of a loving, beautiful woman, and you have a child to motivate you to live within your means.

Would I like to earn more money? Yes

Would I like to have a better nest egg? Yes

But I also answered yes to both questions when I was living in the UK and Canada, and I can honestly say... 

I am much, much more content now than at any time in my life.

You won't know until you try, and if you spend the rest of your life, asking whether or not you can do it....

You never will!!!

Papa Carl

And that sums it up! 

On 50K a month you are living like a member of the Filipino middle class, and that is a perfectly acceptable way to live.

Incidentally, I think it is also the safest way to live .

Building a "dream house" may not be the best plan.

Enjoying an "expatriate lifestyle" is not a good idea. I can look at expatriates in London - and I know that I cannot afford, as a native, to live as they do, and to be honest I would not want to. 

Excellent post!

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Papa Carl was one of the ones I was thinking of when I made my last post  :thumbsup:

JOKE:

This is the thread that never ends.

It goes on and on my friends.

Some people started posting here not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue posting here, together just because:

This is the thread that never ends . . .

Sung to the tune of...

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Papa has the secret.  I always read columns about what it cost to  life with great interest. However once you take a house from the budget (either owned or rent counted as not income) it takes most of the variables away. I always (like Carl) lived within my means, to the max. If you live now one a thousand you will have leftover money in Fil if you don't and that is all you have how are you getting there.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
You know, now when I get paid, I don't even open my "little brown envelope" until I get home and hand it to her! (and wait for her to give me my weekly allowance!)  

You know, most people back in our home countries would laugh at us for that statement...  I applaud you!  I learned from my dad that there is no shame in not spending money you can't afford to spend.  My dad did the same with my mom each and every week until it was common for pays to be sent to the bank electronically.  He went from not being able to feed us sometimes to having about half a mil in the bank when he passed away.  My dad was pretty smart.  So are you, Papa Carl!

:tiphat:

• Like 4