Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Here are a variety of mock budgets for myself. I spent nearly three years north of Cebu City, so I have an idea of prices. I am planning on moving to Lipa City in one year. Lipa City is an hour-and-a-half south of manila, a bit south of touristy Tagaytay. Prices are somewhat cheaper.

Min OK Better Kingly

Visa 60 60 60 60

Food 200 250 300 320

Utilities 70 70 80 100

Date 80 130 160 240

Spending 100 150 270 390

Misc 50 60 70 80

Transport 20 20 20 30

Internet 30 30 60 80

Extra 50 100 120 200

Rent 150 220 260 300

Total 810 1090 1400 1800

Yearly 9720 13080 16800 21600

Weekly 194.4 261.6 336 432

Hourly 4.86 6.54 8.4 10.8

Notes:

I am single, 46 years old.

I will be supporting myself by working online, thus "Hourly" expenses are noted (based on 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year). My income is variable and a complex issue, but an average month would easily allow me a "Kingly" budget (if I choose) plus substantial money for savings.

Food: If I cook at home: $1 for breakfast, $2 for lunch, $3 for dinner. Anything beyond $180 can be used to eat out and/or invite friends over for dinner. I don't care about expensive restaurants. I'm very happy with cheap and mid-range restaurants, generally $4 to $8 a meal.

Date: I'm not into partying or nightlife. I'd just like to meet some nice girls and have an enjoyable time out. I figure about $25 to $30 a date is decent.

Spending: This is for gadgets and/or short trips.

Misc: Everyday and small, unanticipated expenses.

Transport: A little on the low side. May need to increase it, but I have fun riding Jeepneys, pedicabs, tricycles, and motorcycles.

Internet: I depend on this for a living, so I may need to increase spending here.

Extra: Savings for emergencies. If needed, I will have an additional decent-sized stash/savings which I do not want to touch unless absolutely necessary.

Rent: My idea of a "perfect luxury house" will be in the neighborhood of $250 to $300. I like to live in a somewhat rural setting on the outskirts of town. There are plenty of great houses for rent in this price range. I am fine living in a modest setting. These house will be worn down but comfortable for me.

To many, these budgets seem to be "roughing it," but everyday spent in the Philippines is like a permanent vacation to me and I am perfectly happy with less money.

I might as well include my budget for initial expenses:

Minimum Maximum

Plane Ticket 1000 1000

Settle In 800 1000

3 mo. living 2200 3100

3 mo. rent 800 800

Apt. Stuff 380 830

Karaoke 490 1800

TV 280 280

Computer 2000 2200

Total 7950 10910

Notes:

If I spend "Minimum," I will spend a little extra from my next couple months of income to make up the difference.

Settle In: A cushion until I can find a house to rent.

3 mo. living: Includes rent not covered by "rent"

rent: First, last months rent & security deposit

Apt. Stuff: Chairs, bed, initial food, refrigerator, other upstart stuff.

Karaoke: My indulgence. I'm going to end up with a nice karaoke rig. This is my favorite way of meeting new people--hosting karaoke parties. They are very popular and everyone always has a ton of fun. I'll probably make up business cards that "advertise" my karaoke parties so I can hand them out (with my number, of course!) to cute women. It'll be a great ice breaker.

Computer: I depend on this for my living. I will buy the important components in the U.S. and build it there.

So I believe that $1000 a month is very doable for one person. I will be on a stricter budget starting out and anticipate that I'll come to rest at the "Better" $1400 budget. But if you are doing a $1000 per month budget, it's necessary to have a backup stash, at least enough to get you back home in an emergency.

Also, keep in mind realistic "startup" costs.

• Like 3

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

My wife and I can got to Mang Inasal and eat Grilled chicken and rice for under 5 bucks for both of us.  it's really good and somewhat healthy.

These are the types of "lower end" restaurants that I'm perfectly happy with. Mang Inasal is a fine place to eat.

• Like 2

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Robert , i understand about spending more on vacations and i do. I have been there ten times for two to three weeks at a time for the last three years. I will work out my budget for everyone when i get a chance , but other than the big difference in my monthly rent and my trave it is not really that much different than everyones budget. I plan to travel somewhere at least twice a month, similar to the way i live now.

I am from Scottsdale Arizona and i usually go to Vegas twice a month for two or three days and then Los Angeles or San Diego once a month.  i also know i will probably be two to three times higher than a typical  food budget because when traveling it keeps you from cooking at home. Plus when i travel i usually eat at higher end restaurants no fast food. Hence the 4K or 5K budget for a month, i dont consider this living like i am on a vacation, but living well.     Later Poker Mike   

played some good hands earlier in life and never gave it back

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Just because you moved to the Philippines, why would vacations suddenly become part of the monthly "living" budget?

As I said in my previous post, living in the Philippines to me is one big permanent vacation. I don't travel in the U.S., but I do plan on taking some occasional trips within the Philippines. I have "(fun) spending" built into my budget, and while it's not very much I think it's important to have SOME degree of fun spending built into your budget. I can choose to buy a new gadget or take a little trip depending on what I'm feeling like that month (or save multiple months to get what I want).

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Pokermike, I wasn't adressing you specifically.

I was looking for the people who worked 50 weeks a year without getting out of their locale except possibly for 1 or 2 weeks a year for annual vacation and they plan a weeks vacation just about every month, possibly more in the Philippines and I wonder why they don't do that in their home country? I know partly it's because of time constraints but even if they had time, I don't think they could afford it. You have upkeep on the cave you have now, when you get far away from it, that's where the extras come from. I like Johns suggestion above that living in the Philippines is a sort of vacation in itself. I don't think I will have thoroughly explored the 30 mile radius around where I settle in the first year. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Karaoke 490 1800

OMG, the dreaded Karaoke!  You are the enemy!   :hystery:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Computer: I depend on this for my living. I will buy the important components in the U.S. and build it there.
NOTE the extra break risks in Phils on electrical things.

/Check the Hz so it suit the equipment you buy.   (Of that reason I will bring very few such stuff myself.)

/The FLUCTUATING electricity.     So a stabilisator can be a very good investment.

I HOPE    :)   only the CHARGERS for laptops will break.   Do anyone know if the break stays there?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

NOTE the extra break risks in Phils on electrical things.

/Check the Hz so it suit the equipment you buy.   (Of that reason I will bring very few such stuff myself.)

/The FLUCTUATING electricity.     So a stabilisator can be a very good investment.

I HOPE    :)   only the CHARGERS for laptops will break.   Do anyone know if the break stays there?

Thomas buy an electric adapter before you come get one with an electricity surge control that will be ok

Albert Russell
Posted
Posted

You missed a bit on your calculations so I reckon your budget is 118k ......that's more than enough for a

Single guy to live on as long as you maintain your stance and stick to budget, that can be harder than you think once a beautiful pinay gets a grip of you.... Stick to your guns and you'll live the good life!

After 19 trips to the Philippines, I would think I would have a handle on budgeting and handling beautiful pinay girls, but I don't...

What do you think I left out that adds an additional 10K?  

Albert Russell
Posted
Posted

Albert i think you are  very close on your budget to live comfortable. It is very similar to mine ,  but i probably will spend a little more on rent and travel . There is no chance i would buy a house, i want ownership of any large investment ,so for me its a condo. Maybe after i really find the condo i want i will purchase until then i will rent. I have my budget tagged at closer to $3,500

i am done owning houses just too much work. Plus you cant really own a home there, so many ex pats get ripped off bad titles, etc. Its a very bad gamble, i like to play winning hands so no thanks.

Later Poker Mike

A house would tie me to one place, and I am not sure I want that yet.

Please let me know how you will spend your $3,500 budget on.

I just had an investment deal fall through which cost me quite a bit of my disposable income.  I will budget $3,000 a month for the first year or two after i move there (with $500 being unforseen expenses not listed), but I can't afford to go too much higher.