Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Bottom line is:  If all you spend is 1,000 a month and you are happy then it does not matter what you are buying.  It also does not mean that the next guy will be happy with that budget.

Spot on

Albert Russell
Posted
Posted (edited)

Fascinating thread. I have not been online here in several months, so most of it was new to me.

After reading it all through, I'm thinking my ideal budget would be somewhere around $2,500 to live a lifestyle where I would not feel like I was missing something.  I will be arriving in Cebu in less than 3 months, and it is looking like I will be single when I do so.  My long-time girlfriend appears to be a thing of the past.

Monthly budget will be:

Rent:          30,000p   for rent for a smaller condo for the first year, after some bargaining.

Food:         18,000p   a month, including eating out

Utilities:        8,000p   including electricity, phone, internet, TV....

Visa:             2,000p  a month

Misc:             8,000p  Laundry, public transportation, movies, odds and ends...etc.

Social life:   30,000p  going out a few nights a week.. when I get a girlfriend, I will spend it on her.

Subtotal:      86,000p   About $2,000USD a month

Trip             22,000p   half of a one week island-hopping trip ($1000/44,000p) every two months. 

Total         108,000p   about $2,500USD

I could live on less, but this seems to be about minimum I feel I could live comfortably on.  If anyone with a higher budget than the $1,000 mentioned at the start of this thread could comment on my numbers, I would appreciate their input.

I would have a nest egg for medical emergencies..etc.

Edited by Albert Russell
  • Like 3

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Fascinating thread. I have not been online here in several months, so most of it was new to me.

After reading it all through, I'm thinking my ideal budget would be somewhere around $2,500 to live a lifestyle where I would not feel like I was missing something. I will be arriving in Cebu in less than 3 months, and it is looking like I will be single when I do so. My long-time girlfriend appears to be a thing of the past.

Monthly budget will be:

Rent: 30,000p for rent for a smaller condo for the first year, after some bargaining.

Food: 18,000p a month, including eating out

Utilities: 8,000p including electricity, phone, internet, TV....

Visa: 2,000p a month

Misc: 8,000p Laundry, public transportation, movies, odds and ends...etc.

Social life: 30,000p going out a few nights a week.. when I get a girlfriend, I will spend it on her.

Subtotal: 86,000p About $2,000USD a month

Trip 22,000p half of a one week island-hopping trip ($1000/44,000p) every two months.

Total 108,000p about $2,500USD

I could live on less, but this seems to be about minimum I feel I could live comfortably on. If anyone with a higher budget than the $1,000 mentioned at the start of this thread could comment on my numbers, I would appreciate their input.

I would have a nest egg for medical emergencies..etc.

I could eliminate 30,000 for rent by having our own house all paid for. Since I'm happily married I won't need to spend another 30,000 for a social life. So as a married guy in our own house that's paid for my wife and I probably can live just as comfortably as we do now, maybe even more so. As a single guy though in constant pursuit of a social life, I'd probably be broke in a week! LOL!!! :-)
  • Like 4

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Whether you live in The Philippines, The US or anywhere else, you can save money and eat better by cooking at home instead of going to fast food and expensive restaurants. Right now my work schedule forces me to go to fast food restaurants most of the time. When I retire we will be making healthy delicious meals at much less cost than eating out all the time.

• Like 2

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

You missed a bit on your calculations so I reckon your budget is 118k ......that's more than enough for a

Single guy to live on as long as you maintain your stance and stick to budget, that can be harder than you think once a beautiful pinay gets a grip of you.... Stick to your guns and you'll live the good life!

Scruffydawg
Posted
Posted (edited)

Whether you live in The Philippines, The US or anywhere else, you can save money and eat better by cooking at home instead of going to fast food and expensive restaurants. Right now my work schedule forces me to go to fast food restaurants most of the time. When I retire we will be making healthy delicious meals at much less cost than eating out all the time.

My wife and I can got to Mang Inasal and eat Grilled chicken and rice for under 5 bucks for both of us.  it's really good and somewhat healthy.

As for Budgets. This is my 3rd trip here, and I have stayed a month this time. I have done a good bit of research and I think this is a doable budget for me. I am married , no kids and I don't drink very often.

Expenses Pesos -If I can stick to this it allows me to save about 25K Pesos per month

Elect 6000

Food 14000

Auto Fuel 5000

Water 600

Internet 1000

TV 1000

Misc 4000    

Phones 1000

Eating Out /Ent 5000

Clothes 2000

Medical 900

rent 20000        

Expenses 60500-Total

Edited by Scruffydawg
  • Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted

My wife and I can got to Mang Inasal and eat Grilled chicken and rice for under 5 bucks for both of us. it's really good and somewhat healthy.

As for Budgets. This is my 3rd trip here, and I have stayed a month this time. I have done a good bit of research and I think this is a doable budget for me. I am married , no kids and I don't drink very often.

Expenses Pesos -If I can stick to this it allows me to save about 25K Pesos per month

Elect 6000

Food 14000

Auto Fuel 5000

Water 600

Internet 1000

TV 1000

Misc 4000

Phones 1000

Eating Out /Ent 5000

Clothes 2000

Medical 900

rent 20000

Expenses 60500-Total

Thanks! :-) That comes out to about $1351 a month. If we own our own house that's all paid for we can get it down to the $1,000 budget.

My wife and I can got to Mang Inasal and eat Grilled chicken and rice for under 5 bucks for both of us. it's really good and somewhat healthy.

Elect 6000

Food 14000

Auto Fuel 5000

Water 600

Internet 1000

TV 1000

Misc 4000

Phones 1000

Eating Out /Ent 5000

Clothes 2000

Medical 900

rent 20000

Expenses 60500-Total

Thanks! :-) That comes out to about $1351 a month. If we own our own house that's all paid for we can get it down to the $1,000 budget.
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think there is a difference between "living" and vacation / trips. Where you live now, is a trip other than for business a part of your normal monthly expenses? For most people I know in the US, vacations are outside the normal monthly budget and do not ocurr 6-12 times a year. Just because you moved to the Philippines, why would vacations suddenly become part of the monthly "living" budget? Some of the larger budgets I hear $4k $5k a month sound like permanent vacations. Great if you can afford it, but I wouldn't lump vacations in with normal living expenses unless you did the same where you are from, if so, then please do and give some idea of the blown out budget you had where you are from. :)

• Like 2

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Albert i think you are  very close on your budget to live comfortable. It is very similar to mine ,  but i probably will spend a little more on rent and travel . There is no chance i would buy a house, i want ownership of any large investment ,so for me its a condo. Maybe after i really find the condo i want i will purchase until then i will rent. I have my budget tagged at closer to $3,500

i am done owning houses just too much work. Plus you cant really own a home there, so many ex pats get ripped off bad titles, etc. Its a very bad gamble, i like to play winning hands so no thanks.

Later Poker Mike