Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted
Again I say, " Make you life fit your incoming, no try and make your incoming Fit an impossible Dream "

best words to take in

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Money is not everything, being happy with what you have and where you are too,

We all need some sort of income else you will not survive anywhere, here in the UK you will not die of starvation and if you was to become ill you will be taken care of, thats if you had nothing and wanted to be live many who live here, wanting the government to take care of you,

Well i am not one of those people, i have worked hard for what i have, maybe not a lot compared to others, but its all mine and i think i can live a better way of life somewhere other then what i call home at this moment in time,

Yes we shall have to budget and maybe go without things , but i feel England will take all i have saved if i fall ill or cannot work,

Some say you are silly going to a place like the Phils, but they are the people who do not even know where the Phils are, they think its part of Thailand, and the only reason they do not leave England is because the free NHS and free payouts if you dont work, maybe they are right maybe i am right but its my choice,

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

All u say is true Steve, so long as everyone from one of the 1st world "nanny states" who wants to come here, realizes that the below DOES NOT apply to the Philippines.

you will not die of starvation and if you was to become ill you will be taken care of,

No money? you will die, you will starve you will not be taken care off :tiphat:

robert k
Posted
Posted

Scott h, there will come a time in the US where the same rules apply. When the number of people in the cart too greatly outweight the number pulling the cart, it can be nothing else.

This rest is not directed to anyone in particular, just food for thought.

My brother earned a very good living before he became disabled, he was a liberal and he believed that no tax was too much if it were so mamas could stay home and feed babies (make babies was more like it)...until he became disabled and could no longer work and so far he has been denied his rightful seat in the cart. Now my brother says a generation of American babies need to starve to set things to right. My brother tells me he was blind for too many years and my only comfort for him is the old quote that when you are young, if you are not liberal you have no heart and when you become older, if you are not conservative you have no brain. Support yourself by whatever means necessary is coming to first world nations.

The fact that the Philippines is already a pay as you go systen makes it attractive to me. As much waste as there is, it's less than in the US. Money may be embezzled in the Philippines but in the US it doesn't even have to be a crime for the peoples money to disappear. Is the US system truly superior or only more rich? What happens when the money is so devalued that it would not matter if you doubled the amount of money in circulation? From my personal observation the USD is worth about 20% of what it was 40 years ago and it wasn't worth $1.00 then. Might as well get a jump on things and live in a pay as you go society now. :tiphat:

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Its good that i live and work in the UK, the money i am paid is very good and our lives here are good too,

But this is now, who knows what the future will hold for many of us, all i can go on is what i believe is right for me

I am the one who is different in my family, some of the family work some dont , some live for there grandchild and children some dont,

Like i have said we work very hard, saved even harder because we want a future that we can live the way we both would like, Ems looking after the men who matter to her, me and her dad,

I class myself as very lucky to have a dream that will soon become a way of life

• Like 1

fred
Posted
Posted

Steve..As Ive said to you before..Not sure how you could go wrong really..

You WILL live here at one point in your life for certain as you have made it very plain that its what you want..Or at least try!

Just come here and live for 3 months at a time.. No need to go home if everything is fine and you are still happy here..Stay another 3 months.. If after that 3 months you are still good,stay for another 3 months!!

As long as you don't burn your bridges back in the UK,like sell your house and have at least enough cash for a return ticket then at any point you can return..

If you do that,then I would be very interested in reading your future posts about how much it costs for you to live here and how happy or disappointed you are etc..

I would also look forward to the day that you can give those asking questions about living in the R.P your own answers,depending upon your perspective at the time..

Fred.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Just come here and live for 3 months at a time.. No need to go home if everything is fine and you are still happy here..Stay another 3 months.. If after that 3 months you are still good,stay for another 3 months!!

That's exactly my plan.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

WOW Fred, thats very nice of you to say this,

I have been on about it for so long now and its getting closer by the month too,

The more we can learn from people who has made the move already gives us more chance of making the move much safer and much better for each of us,

May be people who know me by now knows i ask and ask and maybe ask some more,

What you say about the 3 months sounds wonderful and i have not looked at it like that way before,

With more information coming from people like you and others on this site and other places it will make the future planning for me and Ems future much better,

It would be very good to give advice to others about the way i did it and the things that may happen in the future too, thats another way to keep my mind busy rather then just taking photos

• Like 1

Michealusa
Posted
Posted (edited)

After my original post on here I have done extensive research on forums,blogs,youtube Etc. The answer to my original question is somewhat still unaswered. I have seen some expats living o $500 a month and others who couldn't live on less that $2000. I think the option I will take is to take my trip there and try an area for a few months and travel to some other areas to see what the area is like  and if it will be affordable. From here only so much planning can be put into place. The real test is to put my feet on Philippines land and live there. I've seen so many pros and cons from each island but the cons are far out numbering the pros here in the USA for retirement.

I do still plan on livig on $1000 a month and that is all Social Security but I am setting up a small online income before I travel there.

I am concerned that ( and this is a big if) that the US S.S. system could collapse in time.

Anyway I do realy appreciate this forum and the expats who post here. Best info one can get is from those already living there.

Edited by Michealusa

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I am concerned that ( and this is a big if) that the US S.S. system could collapse in time.

In your opening post, a year and 33 pages ago, you mentioned that you were retiring in early 2015 and what your social security monthly allotment will be. So you must be at least 61 or 62. There has to be changes to SS, it cannot continue as is, but I don't see it "collapsing" and I doubt there will be any significant changes for anyone currently 55 and older. But you can't plan your life based on what some future politicians may or may not do. SS was never intended to be the sole support of older Americans, it was meant to be 1 piece of the whole. If you move to a far away 3rd world country w/o significant savings bad things may happen. Being in a medical or legal situation unable to buy or pay your way out is not a good thing.

• Like 2