Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most fools dont end up with that much money from what i have noticed in life and more likely will know how to protect it and make it grow. I am 67 now, my Social Security payments are $2,378 US per month. I have $530,000 invested currently. I figure to retire by June figuring a current return of 3% for this year. Then historically a return of 7% after that, at age 88 i will have $711,000

My new nickname Poker Mike the Fool , i kind of like that. My friends will get laugh out of that.

Well my friend I would like to comment on two points.

1, Fools, it is foolish to brag about ones wealth. (In the UK it is considered distasteful)

2, To project what one may be worth in twenty years time very foolish, why ? very simple.

None of us know the day or hour we will be called and there are no pockets in shrouds. respectfully JB

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
So you are living here on $1,000 per month. You are 60+ and she is 20-. She had one kid from before and then one or two with you. Ten years later, you die. There she is at age 30 with three kids, no job, no house, no car, nothing but a bit of furniture. Not easy to start over again.

The question is whether an expat an live here on 1,000.  An expat with a wife and 3 kids is a different question, but to answer that:  I worked for 30 years to get a pension.  At the time the little woman is 30 with 3 kids and I am dead there is nothing to stop her going back to my country and working her own 30 years.  I never promised her a rose garden.

• Like 5

brock
Posted
Posted

Dave if you are an English Citizen, I dont think their will be much chance of your wife ever going over to England,

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Dave if you are an English Citizen, I dont think their will be much chance of your wife ever going over to England,

Status Quo then Brock. :unsure:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
 At the time the little woman is 30 with 3 kids and I am dead there is nothing to stop her going back to my country and working her own 30 years.

Nothing except money for a plane ticket, a work permit and immigration.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I am staying with friends in metro Manila right now and they insisted that we take the jeepney and a trike because a 400 piso cab fare was too much, and it's not even their money. Alot depends on who you tie yourself to. The only one spending real money here is me. It's not the taj mahal but l have lived in alot worse.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Nothing except money for a plane ticket, a work permit and immigration.

I would have to tell you the same thing I tell my partner.  Stop balking at the problems and start looking for the solutions.  They are out there, but no one is ever successful by starting with "I cannot do it".

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

What needs to be done with this thread is to decide exactly what you define as living. IE is it your day to day costs or all the extras like travelling,cars,eating out all the time going to bars every night , having expensive hobbies. Yes you can live very well here on 1000us,I know.

• Like 3