Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

robert k
Posted
Posted

Some people think they are going to be on permanent vacation. How much does it cost to be on permanent vacation in your home country and why aren't you doing that and just visiting some tropical islands? Because if you can't afford it here, you for sure couldn't afford it in a first world country unless you stayed working.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Some people think they are going to be on permanent vacation. How much does it cost to be on permanent vacation in your home country and why aren't you doing that and just visiting some tropical islands? Because if you can't afford it here, you for sure couldn't afford it in a first world country unless you stayed working.

Robert! what a fantastic way to put it. It is exactly that. I have no desire to go back to the UK and on researching the Costs and the Requirements for my family to be with me, Totally out of the Question, so as we have said all along, if we want to be here and Live out our lives, we must make Our Life " Fit the savings and Income" It will never work the other way round (Well not with peace of mind anyway)

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

From that article:

Fellow garbage collector Pedro Bacus said the foreigner takes home P150 to P200, the latter’s share in the sale of plastic bottles.

That's not even minimum salary for employed according to the law. So obviiously it's possible for foreigners too to live for litle money.

komments
Posted
Posted

People can live for next to nothing in America too.  SNAP makes sure you have food and most beaches are public and many allow camping.  But other than surfer dudes and kids, who wants to live in the margins?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

People can live for next to nothing in America too.  SNAP makes sure you have food and most beaches are public and many allow camping.  But other than surfer dudes and kids, who wants to live in the margins?

Hmmmmmmmmm Ok in the Hippy days of the 60's post-2148-0-42686900-1414564888.jpg but,,,,,,,,,,, it is 2015 Minus 60 odd days.

Do we need to live like this? when $1.000 a month (that's here of Course) gets you so much more  + according to some doom and gloom merchants SNAP will not last Forever. Whatever next, Soup Kitchen anyone? post-2148-0-24092900-1414565145.jpg

Come on Guys and Gals let's get REAL on this and keep in in perspective.

JP :tiphat:

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I am one of those who thinks he's going to be on permanent vacation...and I'll be working upwards of 50 hours a week! :)

As I've said before, living in the Philippines IS a permanent vacation. (Spent three years there previously)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
living in the Philippines IS a permanent vacation

For me, retirment anywhere is a permanent vacation.  I mean you get your pension, that means the boss is paying you to take time off.  Its what you can afford to do on that permanent vacation that counts.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I am one of those who thinks he's going to be on permanent vacation...and I'll be working upwards of 50 hours a week! :)

As I've said before, living in the Philippines IS a permanent vacation. (Spent three years there previously)

Right. And will you spend 5k piso every single day as others are claiming are necessary?

robert k
Posted
Posted

living in the Philippines IS a permanent vacation

For me, retirment anywhere is a permanent vacation.  I mean you get your pension, that means the boss is paying you to take time off.  Its what you can afford to do on that permanent vacation that counts.

Well sure., when I was in my 20's a trip to Brit Honduras with my M-203 and my Kevlar was a vacation the boss told me to take. There were even tourism commercials "There's nothing like a Honduran vacation" :hystery:

• Like 1

bootleultras
Posted
Posted (edited)

I work with a bunch of expats, most of them are earning 30-35k a month and have no other means Of living, they are living in Makati (not cheap) all are seemingly living within there means and are getting by, except for the ones who are visiting the girlie bars, they are still managing but by the skin of there teeth, living pay day to pay day..... So case closed you can, I know lots who are, it's all about adapting, if you can't adapt to things here you will fall flat on your face and won't be here very long!

Edited by bootleultras
  • Like 4