Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

lol posting your number on the internet 

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I removed the numbers. Best to hit the Report button if you see something like this that needs to be immediately addressed, Tom works and is not on his computer nearly as much as the rest of us. Thanks.

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jollygoodfellow just worried and have doubts, because when i was there and searching for places to live could not find the good prices for rentals that everyone quotes. I would be with my wife , so i am sure they looked at me and gave me the long nose price. Its too late now anyway , i am coming. The boots on the ground will end up settling everything for me. I will find someplace with a three month lease or find a hotel with a monthly rate. Then i will explore the areas that interest me and hope i find something more long term.

That blog was funny thanks,  i liked it!  Want a one or two bedroom only,  no house prefer condo. Dont think i will have a driver or a maid, dont really drink, would rather have fish than lobster. I would like a place where maybe i could own a jet ski and or sail boat but i dont see how thats possible, with that exposure i am sure that would put me the danger zone for theft. Guess i will have to rent once in awhile.   Thanks Poker Mike

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If you get anywhere near to Nottingham JJ, Give me a shout and I will take you for a few beers

Will do. We are hoping our son will be assigned by his company for a four to six weeks stay in Bristol during the 2015 summer months. It would be fun traveling with them on weekends using British Rail passes.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Yes I know they go to the trouble of posting their budgets and living costs in many topics over the last 6 years on this forum but reality is 99% of expats are loaded, filthy rich and that's why they chose the Philippines as their home.

It is true most of the forum members have more than $1,000 monthly retirement budget. In my opinion, the reason for the topic's popularity is a fear among retirees that their Social Security, pensions and savings may not be enough. Media continually has articles that everyone will live longer; medical costs are skyrocketing; there are scam artists out there targeting your assets; etc. So you ask yourself, "If I only have $1,000 a month, can I survive by relocating to the Philippines?"

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

i have made major adjustments in my life for the last year or so and now dont buy things i dont need. My garage sale made me sick , i had at least 50 ties that all cost $60 or more with the tags on that i never wore one time. I gave away some very expensive furniture worth thousands that i never opened the drawers, never used them once. Now i have to learn to live within my means , which you guys saying i have a lot , but i dont think so.

Now we know why Nicolas Cage and Burt Reynolds are broke! I'm half-kidding, but the point is you do need to control your unnecessary spending to come in under your budget of $2000 U.S.D. But you know that.

To repeat what others have said, it will cost different people different amounts, depending on what they feel they "need" to live.

• Like 1

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted (edited)

The only thing i know is that  my monthly income will be either $5,000 US per month without touching my nest egg.

You got no hope of living in Cebu on that small amount. The expats here that tell you a figure like $1000/1500 US a month are pulling your chain. Yes I know they go to the trouble of posting their budgets and living costs in many topics over the last 6 years on this forum but reality is 99% of expats are loaded, filthy rich and that's why they chose the Philippines as their home. Its easy to work out, most live in a house that you describe by the sea and are clever by renting, only P 250000 a month. Aircon in every 20 or so rooms to keep the staff cool as you need them, the more the better as you don't want the Filipinos looking down at you for not keeping up neighborhood standards.

It cost money to be an expat, you need at least two drivers as there are 24 hours in a day and a 12 hour shift for each to drive the limo ads up. You need a ya ya to tend the family dog but the guys who live here wont tell you that because when they post budgets or real life experience as it can be called ; they are just filling in time for the Richard Hennessy Cognac and lobster to be brought from the kitchen so its just humor and fun for them.

Well its up to you, believe what I wrote above or trust what the expats living in the Philippines have been telling you because almost every one of your posts I see doubt,disbelief or lack of confidence.

Bearing in mind that everyone has different needs but a ball park figure can be obtained and adjusted to personal needs from the many posts here.

:36_1_68[1]:

You're right, it DOES cost money to live in the Philippines. As others and myself have said, the cost is for "basics" plus however much more money you feel you need to spend. I spent almost four years outside of Cebu City, which I understand is not moving there permanently, but I am planning to move permanently in 2016.

I don't even consider drivers or any other full-time employees. I don't have them in the U.S., why do I need them in the Philippines? I enjoy taking jeepneys (call me weird!). Yes, by hiring them you can feel rich for just a little extra money.

Air conditioning? I ran mine on muggier nights for about 20 minutes before going to bed in my small bedroom. Occasionally, I would enjoy a mid-day cool-down as well. I used fans most of the rest of the time. OK, I admit, it would be nice to have AC going 24/7, but I'm fine without it.

I didn't know they had lobster and Richard Hennessy Cognac (don't even know what that is!) is the Philippines, but I don't like either one and prefer somewhat cheaper foods. I did eat shrimp from time to time. I ate out about four times a week at cheap places, mostly for convenience or out of laziness. I didn't live around any good restaurants, but made a trip into Cebu City at least once a month and ate at better restaurants, usually costing around 400p.

Who cares about keeping up with the Joneses? I lived in a fairly poor barangay in a somewhat rural area, among common Filipinos. It was a blast...I felt that I fit right in and no one had any expectations of me beyond what I normally do. I had no problems with my neighbors and everyone knew everyone else, which made for a very secure environment. That will of course be different in the city. However, if you absolutely must "keep up appearances", perhaps you will never be able to live within a given budget.

Of course, pokermike is looking for a higher "standard of living" and the ultimate cost definitely depends on the individual. Best advice is to figure out how much the "basics" of life cost and then decide what level of spending is needed beyond that.

I am a member of another forum not related to the Philippines (a poker forum). A majority of poker players have some of the biggest egos in the world. The largest thread on that forum (of many hundreds of thousands of posts) is about living in the Philippines (...while playing poker for a living). Budget is often a hotly debated topic. Some claim that to really experience the Philippines, you need a "baller" budget of 250,000p per month. Of course, they have personal limmo drivers, eat at the most expensive restaurants, and live in the newest seaside condos. One such poster went on to say that he flies to Hong Kong when he needs his clothes tailored.

Those higher-budget players often condescend those trying to live on a lower budget. Some claim to live on as little as 35,000p per month. This includes a friend of mine, who is not very good at poker and doesn't make much per month. (He's honestly not got enough money and/or income to reliably sustain himself, as poker requires a bankroll devoted solely to poker. If you spend your bankroll, you cannot make money. Sorry Dante!) And yes, these people are roughing it. Most spend a very comfortable 650,000p to 800,000p. But they are into night life and all that %$!@. They eat out fairly often and don't really conserve their money at times. But they are single and are not "permanently" in the Philippines. They will move on when they wish.

All most of us are saying is that it is POSSIBLE to live (as a single person) for 45,000p ($1000 U.S.D.) per month. Whether or not that is a high enough standard of living is up to you. While I'm saving for my move to the Philippines, I do not spend much more than that per month in the U.S. Granted, I only travel more than six miles in a day twice a week (I work on the Internet). I don't eat lobster and drink Cognac. Yes, it's a bit boring, but not a problem. When I move back to the Philippines, I will have much more disposable income on the same budget.

Like we've said, it's all about living within your means. Pokermike has set his sights on $2000 U.S.D. per month, not unreasonable for a very comfortable family living for me, but I cannot say for pokermike. He has a very large nest egg, and surely he will find some reasonable standard of living for himself for under his $5000 U.S.D. per month income.

Edited by John Mogusar

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted
surely he will find some reasonable standard of living for himself for under his $5000 U.S.D. per month income.

I could have a reasonable standard of living just about anywhere in the world for 5k a month In Cebu It would be living very large 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

and surely he will find some reasonable standard of living for himself for under his $5000 U.S.D. per month income.

Always the possibility of being a target too of course. post-2148-0-11535800-1417599415_thumb.jpThey tend to sniff out over filled wallets.

• Like 2