Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
if someone kills me

If you make it to Duma I will introduce you to John, who is married to my gfs cousin.  He, like you, will freely discuss his finances and say there is no big secret about it as he is an open and honest person.  He will also freely discuss the time when 3 goons walked into his house and tied him up, held a knife to his wife's throat, and demanded 50,000 pesos (I may not be accurate about the exact amount but feel free to come meet John and ask).  He is still alive to tell about it and the goons are 50,000 pesos richer.

Edit:  It is interesting to me that John does not seem to believe that openly talking about his budget and having goons walk into his house in the middle of the day are related.  Oh well, I certainly believe they are.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

pokermike
Posted
Posted

when i get there nobody will know what i make or have. i dont tell my wife  everything. I have told you guys but remote chance if we ever meet. vvi look like i am broke and when i am about , no fancy clothes and do not carry a lot of cash. i am going to try and be low key. the only give away will probably where i live. hopefully has good security. i am worried and will try to be careful/  Thanks

• Like 1

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

if someone kills me

If you make it to Duma I will introduce you to John, who is married to my gfs cousin.  He, like you, will freely discuss his finances and say there is no big secret about it as he is an open and honest person.  He will also freely discuss the time when 3 goons walked into his house and tied him up, held a knife to his wife's throat, and demanded 50,000 pesos (I may not be accurate about the exact amount but feel free to come meet John and ask).  He is still alive to tell about it and the goons are 50,000 pesos richer.

Edit:  It is interesting to me that John does not seem to believe that openly talking about his budget and having goons walk into his house in the middle of the day are related.  Oh well, I certainly believe they are.

Dave this sounds like an interesting story, make a seperate thread, change the names and details to protect the innocent, I wanna know more :)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Dave this sounds like an interesting story, make a seperate thread, change the names and details to protect the innocent, I wanna know more

:hystery:  Paul you old post-2148-0-50811500-1417681183.jpg LOL

JP :tiphat:  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Not at all JP ... bet you wanna know the story too!  :)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Not at all JP ... bet you wanna know the story too!

:hystery:  you bet but you got there first  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:  :dance: Don't you just love all this?

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Larry 45 where would rather live on $5,000 per month. I know i am not happy here in Scottsdale, i am sure if my wife was here things would be different but my expenses would shoot up. i have already charted that option and if it happens i figure maybe i can squeak by for $6,000 a month. 

Hi Mike...yeah, I can relate to you having a Filipina wife and wanting to spend some time with her in her place and with her family.  I'm doing the same thing now, and it's a great experience to get perspective.  I would just be cautious to commit yourself here permanently until you spend a few years adjusting.  As for where I would live, we would probably be back in the US earlier than expected.  Maybe we can house swap...haha.  Sounds like the basis for a reality show!  Take care.  

• Like 1

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I know i am not happy here in Scottsdale.

Culture in the Philippines is completely different than here in the states. Life is much *much* slower.

The main attribute you need to survive and thrive there is patience. Many things will not proceed as you are accustomed to. Just accept those things and try to understand them as best you can and you will be miles ahead of most other foreigners.

Just relax, because (as long as you have some money, but not an enormous amount) life is just so much less worrisome from day to day.

If I haven't recommended this book to you yet, please read: http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Shock-Philippines-Survival-Etiquette/dp/9814484016/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417721753&sr=8-1&keywords=culture+shock+Philippines

Amazon is out of stock currently, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere. There is an old edition you can get used: http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Philippines-Survival-Customs-Etiquette/dp/1558680896/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417721753&sr=8-2&keywords=culture+shock+Philippines

These books will help you much better understand the culture. Don't expect to learn all aspects of culture from your wife. There are many things that she takes for granted that she will not even think to explain. For a small example, Filipinos use subtle body language as part of their routine communication. An open mouth will indicate they didn't understand. Raising the eyebrows means yes. Yes frequently means no. :lol:

Get that book and at least skim through it. You'll be thankful you did.

• Like 2

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Am i rich , i dont think so,  every where i look it says i dont have close to enough. yes i am getting trusts set up , even if someone kills me they cant cant any money and my family knows that. My wife knows she has to wait for hers. The person who oversees my account has built in all kinds of fail safe items. Example consecutive withdrawls for a certain amount of days shuts down my account. Certain amounts shut down the account.

When i am there i will be asking people to loan me money. If anyone asks me how i am doing its the same answer every time , just enough to live. I only wear my hiking clothes , the convertible pants and light sh%ts and Teva's on my feet. Even beggars sometimes dont ask me for money , but ask the guy behind me.

I still have my degree to fall back on MBSCSDD  helps me stay street wise. Master of Back Stabbing < Cork Screwing < Dirty Deals, i consider you guys my friends and if you need some money for a true emercency you cant count on me ,beause i am not giving anyone s--t.  BUT I WILL BUY A DRINK

You're closing paragraph is pretty much the right attitude to take.

Of course you know that you are never supposed to lend money to poker players, no matter how long you've known them and how nice they are. The same goes for foreigners in the Philippines (and Filipinos). Pretty much the same situation. Not passing judgment on the rest of the guys here; I know they understand.

You don't consider yourself rich. However, I would wager that 98% of foreigners in the Philippines don't have your financial resources. As one other foreigner once told me...people come to the Philippines for many different reasons, and those people are often not well-intentioned. Many are running away from the law, for example.

Just take others' advice and don't even mention money to Filipinos.

As I've told you, I'll continue to earn my living playing poker in the Philippines. If anyone asks, I will tell them I run a business on the Internet. No way I will let anyone know I play poker. Poker is associated with money and they will assume I always have lots of money.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

when i get there nobody will know what i make or have. i dont tell my wife  everything. I have told you guys but remote chance if we ever meet. vvi look like i am broke and when i am about , no fancy clothes and do not carry a lot of cash. i am going to try and be low key. the only give away will probably where i live. hopefully has good security. i am worried and will try to be careful/  Thanks

My preference is to maintain a low profile even in the United States. No jewelry; no wristwatch; cheap clam shell mobile phone; clothes you can purchase from Walmart; inexpensive luggage; etc. As a security precaution, try not to attract attention while in the Philippines. I have observed some who might as well hang a sign around their neck, "Rob Me!"