Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted

What ever figure you may have to live on, its down to you to spend it wise,

Like many have said before, some can live on very little and be happy some have to have thousands,

Hope you find the happy medium

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I will have recurring income from the usa, of approximately 2k a month, maybe more Should I be able to live comfortably and maybe even save on that, as a single guy, or a couple, if i meet someone there?
Sure it's possible.   (I expect 1000 USD myself plus costs when/if I will travel to my birth country to visit family.)

Actualy it can cost LESS WITH a good Filipina     :)   if her family don't cost much, because a Filipina spouse can make you can avoid most "kano prices" which many Filipins demand from foreigners, and which often are MUCH higher.

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks i really want to get by with the 120,000 pesos a month , if i can then i will keep my other money invested in mutual funds that are on the safer side hope for 5 to 7 % return if so that money should grow.

i just cant help it i am a nevous wreck, just eamiled my wife and told her no responce yet. i am still freaked out, hope she is ok with this, did tell her i was retiring anyway in less than a year. She told me so many times its ok we have plenty to live on and dont worry just wanted me to promise to stay with her and not look for another woman. She said when she intially met me it was about being secure in her life ,but that changed quickly and now she loves me. Told me we dont have to live like a vaction all the time, lets save money and live long and comfortable. We will see now if this is the truth.   Later poker Mike

Haha, if you're Filipina wife doesn't think you can "get by" on 120,000 pesos per month then she is going to be a REAL problem. (<<<Last statement meant as a joke with a lot of truth behind it.)

Just start making a spreadsheet of "expected" expenses in the lifestyle that you wish to maintain. Rent and food will be your two biggest necessary expenses. Just ask questions here about various costs.

Here is one of my "sample budgets." Admittedly, it's probably a bit short in a couple categories and I'll need to shift some money from "spending" or "extra(emergency)". The numbers obviously are not meant as guidelines, but these are all expenses I expect to incur as well as some for surprises. (Aside from my savings)

Visa 2700

Food 11250

Utilities 3150

Spending 12600

Misc 2700

Transport 900

Internet 1350

Extra 4500

Rent 9900

Total 49050

I will be working while in the Philippines and expect to average at least 90,000 pesos per month. (And I will be probably be earning that in pesos. No money conversion problems! :) ) The remainder will be saved. Eventually, I will increase my budget a bit.

Transportation costs are based on riding jeepneys, which I actually prefer over taxis. However, I may need to spend money on taxis of necessity of my situation.

Internet costs may be low, depending on my exact plans. I may rely on the Internet for a portion of my income. Haven't decided about that yet.

Anyway, I recommend just making a spreadsheet, maybe with several different budgets, and I'm pretty sure it will allay your fears. Really, 120,000 pesos per month is plenty as long as your spending isn't out of control.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in my opinion there's just not as much "stuff" to spend money on in the Philippines. It's very easy to be happy without that "stuff." I mean, sure, you can always find stuff to spend money on. But that's why many people who win the lottery are broke in five years, huh?

P.S. I just have a common face. I live near Kansas City and mostly the only people I really know are volleyball players.

Edited by John Mogusar

pokermike
Posted
Posted

What about your live poker play where was most of that done? i wonder what my visa costs will be , since i married to a phillipina, plus a veteran , i hear it might be cheaper for me.  Does anyone know?  John we might cross path at a poker table so lets stay out of each others way, hate to bust you , since you have helped me answer some of my questions. ha ha just kidding

if we make a final table together chop,chop  ok  Poker Mike

Thomas
Posted
Posted
i wonder what my visa costs will be , since i married to a phillipina, plus a veteran , i hear it might be cheaper for me.
   You told in other topic you like traveling, so the "Visa" cost can be ZERO beside the traveling cost for short trips abroad for you and your wife    =  Balinkbayan "Visa".     They are valid for a year.   You and your wife need to enter Phils at same time and claim to get BB (if they don't give you it automaticly when you give the custom passports and marriage licence.)

I don't remember veteran visa costs, but they are rather small, so if you don't want to travel anyway, I would get such.

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Some people think they are going to be on permanent vacation. How mupch does it cost to be on permanent vacation in your home country and why aren't you doing that and just visiting some tropical islands? Because if you can't afford it here, you for sure couldn't afford it in a first world country unless you stayed working.

Oh Ya? Compare the price of buying a house or paying rent in S. California with Cebu or Cebu Provence. Compare prices of food and entertainment too while you're at it. The fact of the matter is, when I retire I can't afford to live in California.
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree with everybody on this... You will need exactly what you think you will need because that is how much you will spend! Me? I'm going for the $1000 a month Canadian budget... If I make it, great! If not? I've got back up!

Edited by I am bob
dang Google auto correct...
  • Like 2

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

In my opinion, if you cannot stick to a budget within your means in the Philippines, you definitely won't be able to do so within your own country. (Assuming your from a place with similar cost of living as the U.S.)

The ONLY reason I can think of that this would not be true is if you want to buy many items not commonly available in the Philippines and/or live an exact lifestyle as back in your home country. Granted, I am not considering medical insurance costs or backup welfare systems.

That said, there is no way I could live in the area I am in currently on $1000 U.S. I have auto and traveling costs, quite expensive rent, etc. Almost any entertainment is much higher and I can find many quite inexpensive to free fun things to do in the Philippines.

What other factors am I missing? If someone has only 45,000 pesos ($1000 USD) a month to work with (assuming a backup for emergencies...), how could they not live better in the Philippines? Yes, some people with more money will always find extra "stuff" they "need." But then again, no matter how much money some people make, they never have enough.

The above, of course, assumes you enjoy the Philippines to begin with. For me, just living in the Philippines is worth at least 14,000 pesos (~$300 USD) of "stuff" every month. How much junk does the average American buy that they really don't need and use a while and forget about it? And why do they do that? They are just trying to make themselves happy. If someone is truly happy living in the Philippines, they won't miss that "stuff."

• 4 weeks later...
Michealusa
Posted
Posted

Since the beginning of this topic I have done extensive research on living costs in the Philippines. I've learned that I will get many opinions on if I can live on $1000 Us a month. Since November 2013 I have minialized my life, got rid of all the clutter and useless stuff. I've bought and moved into an Rv cut my cell phone expenses,did away cable - use free tv and internet. I've even cut my food budget and gas expense.

I still live comfortable and have much less to wory about. My monthly budget here now is $1200 US a month and that is with a car payment of $316 and full coverage auto insurance.

When I get to the Philippines I will not own a car to start and possibly never own one - I will not miss driving in traffic at all.

My point is simply that I can easily live on $1000 a month in the Philippines. As long as I have backup money for emergencies.

Only question is where to settle. I think I will start with Dumaguete and go from there.

My thanks to all that have contributed to this topic.

Now if I had Poker MIkes budget  I would already be on the way... ( :

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

moved into an Rv

We found out living in an RV is much cheaper than owning or renting a place. Some family members cannot understand why we prefer to be, "homeless." Actually, the correct term is, "home free."

Dumaguete is considered one of the best places in the world to retire. Our game plan is to relocate to the Philippines when either my wife or I need assisted living or skilled nursing care. In the meantime, the two of us will continue to travel,travel, travel. We don't really like Metro Manila and Metro Cebu. Too much pollution and noise. Dumaguete City seems to be a good alternative. One attraction is Silliman University produces top graduates in the medical and nursing profession. Dumaguete has several good hospitals.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1