Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

surely he will find some reasonable standard of living for himself for under his $5000 U.S.D. per month income.

I could have a reasonable standard of living just about anywhere in the world for 5k a month In Cebu It would be living very large 

Common people living on $5000 a month? Oh my, now I understand what my butler was complaining about, will have to give him, the cook and the maid a raise then.

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Common people living on $5000 a month? Oh my, now I understand what my butler was complaining about, will have to give him, the cook and the maid a raise then.

That my friend just about sums it all Up!

End Of?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Common people living on $5000 a month?

There are a lot of 'average' retirees from North America who live here on that amount.  That is (based on my observations only) an average, current retirement pension for a blue collar guy who put 30 or 40 years in at a union job.  They live well on that here.

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

surely he will find some reasonable standard of living for himself for under his $5000 U.S.D. per month income.

I could have a reasonable standard of living just about anywhere in the world for 5k a month In Cebu It would be living very large 

This was sort of a tongue-in-cheek sentence. Pokermike stated that he has a $5000 U.S.D. income plus a (large) nest egg. However, his desired budget is $2000 per month (for two). He wisely intends to save the remainder. His worries are based upon that $2000 budget. However, if he needs to reach a *little* bit further into his monthly income to satisfy his spending, I doubt it would be a major problem.

Larry45
Posted
Posted

If I had half a million in the bank and $5000 a month coming in.....the Philippines would be the last place I would consider for retirement, especially if I was married.  The biggest draws here are the women and the low cost of living.  There's much better places for someone that can afford it.  But that's just my opinion.  

• Like 4

pokermike
Posted
Posted

My wife is Philipina and i am considering other places but starting there. I know if i stay here , my monthly expenses are right around $3,200. so $1,800 wiggle room. So if i include going to movies ,going out to eatt several times a week and maybe a trip to LA ,            SanDiego or Vegas and that $1,800 is nothing. I think if i live there that $3,200 will stretch a lot farther and my travel options are cheaper from there.

Larry 45 where would rather live on $5,000 per month. I know i am not happy here in Scottsdale, i am sure if my wife was here things would be different but my expenses would shoot up. i have already charted that option and if it happens i figure maybe i can squeak by for $6,000 a month. Already know i would show here any where she wants to go in the US so that first 6 months would be brutally expensive. Over there i can just hop to Palawan or another nice beach for a fraction of the cost. 

Tell me guys does that sound about right.                                 Poker Mike

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Once you are living here I strongly suggest you not discuss your financial matters with anyone.

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Yep Mike If I was you I would keep all this Im loaded talk close to your chest because you are just making yourself a target . Not only from the locals but from other expats  bragging about your savings and income will come back and bite you in the ass big time . In fact i would start a new account here before you land .  I hope you dont do this with her whole family . I truly believe being rich in the Phils puts your safety at risk .. Yes I know they think we are all rich but even poor people can see the extremely rich vs just western rich . 

• Like 3

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Am i rich , i dont think so,  every where i look it says i dont have close to enough. yes i am getting trusts set up , even if someone kills me they cant cant any money and my family knows that. My wife knows she has to wait for hers. The person who oversees my account has built in all kinds of fail safe items. Example consecutive withdrawls for a certain amount of days shuts down my account. Certain amounts shut down the account.

When i am there i will be asking people to loan me money. If anyone asks me how i am doing its the same answer every time , just enough to live. I only wear my hiking clothes , the convertible pants and light sh%ts and Teva's on my feet. Even beggars sometimes dont ask me for money , but ask the guy behind me.

I still have my degree to fall back on MBSCSDD  helps me stay street wise. Master of Back Stabbing < Cork Screwing < Dirty Deals, i consider you guys my friends and if you need some money for a true emercency you cant count on me ,beause i am not giving anyone s--t.  BUT I WILL BUY A DRINK

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Almost forgot , my house sold today so if my wife does not make it here by the end of the month i am on my way. So of you dont mind please save me a spot at the bar . i will have a SaN Miguel with you.  Later poker Mike

• Like 1