Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I get to the Philippines I will not own a car to start and possibly never own one - I will not miss driving in traffic at all.

I knew I wouldn't miss driving, but I was somewhat surprised that I actually ENJOYED not having a car for the four years I was there.

Edited by John Mogusar
  • Like 1

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I get closer to moving there, i have recenltly had some garage sales and gave away a bunch of furntiure and so many items were just a waste of money on impluse buys that i never even used. I have a fourbedroom home i live in by myself, it is for sale right now, when its sold very quickly , putting it well before market value i am on the way there.

i have made major adjustments in my life for the last year or so and now dont buy things i dont need. My garage sale made me sick , i had at least 50 ties that all cost $60 or more with the tags on that i never wore one time. I gave away some very expensive furniture worth thousands that i never opened the drawers, never used them once. Now i have to learn to live within my means , which you guys saying i have a lot , but i dont think so.

The only thing i know is that  my monthly income will be either $5,000 US per month without touching my nest egg. My nest egg is significant but i would like not to touch it , let it grow and leave to my family. I have an app on my I Phone called easy spend and have been keeping track of my monthly expenses and have got it down to $4,000 a month so i guess i could make it here, but really want to learn to adjust like Michealusa , i am jealous. I  am practicing living small, there are seven rooms in my house and i now living in two for practice, the others are empty. I am now down to one car had four at one time. I have eating at home. So i am trying ,  my house is my major expense, $1,600 mortgage ,  just cancelled the maid that was $160 per month,  and gardner was $250 per month, big back yard, $140 for pool man. So over $2000 per month.

I think in the next few months, i can get below $3,200. So if i move there from what you guys are saying i will live good i hope so. No more acting as a toursit when i am there, I thought nothing of blowing $300 a night for a hotel or over 12,000 plus pesos, those days are over. Hope i get to meet some of you when i get there , you guys have been a big help, all of you to many to mention.  later Poker Mike 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
i have recenltly had some garage sales

I had some garage sales before moving here.  Turns out that many of the purchasers were OFW Filiinos who bought my stuff and shipped it here in balakbayan boxes for their relatives to use or sell.  Wish I had shipped my own junk over in boxes.  You have to pick and choose though.

• Like 1

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Thats crazy thats what happened to me also , i feel quilty now wish i had thought of that. some philpino gardners almost bought everything. My wifes family could have used so much of the clothes from my kids , a lot were brand new , sold them for 25 cents. sold my tommy bahama shirts worth over $100 for $1.   What a waste!

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I am practicing living small, there are seven rooms in my house and i now living in two for practice, the others are empty.
Well. You DON'T need to practice downsize in SPACE,

it's possible to downsize in PRICE.

In Sweden I have a rural positioned SIX room villa plus 40 + 30 sqm storage, with a rather big garden which "take care of iiself"  =Raspberries are spredding everywhere  :mocking:

All that cost LESS than a ONE room appartment in central Stockholm...

(In Phils I aim at geting something similar as my Swedish house, except in stone, because I don't believe my Swedish house would like termites   :lol:

Thats crazy thats what happened to me also , i feel quilty now wish i had thought of that. some philpino gardners almost bought everything. My wifes family could have used so much of the clothes from my kids , a lot were brand new , sold them for 25 cents. sold my tommy bahama shirts worth over $100 for $1.   What a waste!

Well. The waste wasn't you sold it, the waste was you bought it   :)

• Like 2

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Downsize in price is correct as soon as my house sells, hopefully in the next two weeks. i am looking to find a nice place there for between 24,000 to 32, 000 pesos per month. hopefully a condo close to a nice beach in a city with decent shopping.  Poker Mike

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Poker Mike,

My wife and I went exactly through the same process about a year ago. If you want some feedback, we will be in the Phoenix area around the 9th of December. Send me a PM if you would like to meet.

There is an RV storage facility near Mesa who claims they can rent our RV to Europeans if we are not using it. We are considering the possibility of spending three months in Spain next year. The Shengen visa agreement limits us to 90 days in EU countries. Since the United Kingdom is not part of the agreement, we could extend our trip one or more months visiting England, Wales and Scotland.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

If you get anywhere near to Nottingham JJ, Give me a shout and I will take you for a few beers

Hopeless
Posted
Posted

wow poker mike you need your own thread you have so much money living on 1000 a month will never happen .

Back to topic ie: can you live on 1000/month (not 5000)  sure it can be done but I believe it would be a pretty meager living with little or no travel and very few luxurys  . It could be ok with a good wife and you do not drink or have any major vises 

Boredom will be your biggest concern , how to keep busy with no money  and still enjoy life .

I think at bare minimum you would need to be set up first , All furniture. motorbike or car and maybe even a house at that point you will be ok but just . 1000 a month leaves very little for any kind of emergency  . Although in the past I have done a month for 800 when times where tough and I did not want to go home yet ,But could I do that forever no way I would die of boredom 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Poker Mike,

I downloaded the information and sent an email to our moderator to erase your post. Your phone number should not be exposed. I will call next week.

Aloha - J.J.

Edited by JJReyes