Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Albert Russell
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here are a variety of mock budgets for myself. I spent nearly three years north of Cebu City, so I have an idea of prices. I am planning on moving to Lipa City in one year. Lipa City is an hour-and-a-half south of manila, a bit south of touristy Tagaytay. Prices are somewhat cheaper.

Min OK Better Kingly

Visa 60 60 60 60

Food 200 250 300 320

Utilities 70 70 80 100

Date 80 130 160 240

Spending 100 150 270 390

Misc 50 60 70 80

Transport 20 20 20 30

Internet 30 30 60 80

Extra 50 100 120 200

Rent 150 220 260 300

Total 810 1090 1400 1800

Yearly 9720 13080 16800 21600

Weekly 194.4 261.6 336 432

Hourly 4.86 6.54 8.4 10.8

Notes:

I am single, 46 years old.

I will be supporting myself by working online, thus "Hourly" expenses are noted (based on 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year). My income is variable and a complex issue, but an average month would easily allow me a "Kingly" budget (if I choose) plus substantial money for savings.

Food: If I cook at home: $1 for breakfast, $2 for lunch, $3 for dinner. Anything beyond $180 can be used to eat out and/or invite friends over for dinner. I don't care about expensive restaurants. I'm very happy with cheap and mid-range restaurants, generally $4 to $8 a meal.

Date: I'm not into partying or nightlife. I'd just like to meet some nice girls and have an enjoyable time out. I figure about $25 to $30 a date is decent.

Spending: This is for gadgets and/or short trips.

Misc: Everyday and small, unanticipated expenses.

Transport: A little on the low side. May need to increase it, but I have fun riding Jeepneys, pedicabs, tricycles, and motorcycles.

Internet: I depend on this for a living, so I may need to increase spending here.

Extra: Savings for emergencies. If needed, I will have an additional decent-sized stash/savings which I do not want to touch unless absolutely necessary.

Rent: My idea of a "perfect luxury house" will be in the neighborhood of $250 to $300. I like to live in a somewhat rural setting on the outskirts of town. There are plenty of great houses for rent in this price range. I am fine living in a modest setting. These house will be worn down but comfortable for me.

To many, these budgets seem to be "roughing it," but everyday spent in the Philippines is like a permanent vacation to me and I am perfectly happy with less money.

I might as well include my budget for initial expenses:

Minimum Maximum

Plane Ticket 1000 1000

Settle In 800 1000

3 mo. living 2200 3100

3 mo. rent 800 800

Apt. Stuff 380 830

Karaoke 490 1800

TV 280 280

Computer 2000 2200

Total 7950 10910

Notes:

If I spend "Minimum," I will spend a little extra from my next couple months of income to make up the difference.

Settle In: A cushion until I can find a house to rent.

3 mo. living: Includes rent not covered by "rent"

rent: First, last months rent & security deposit

Apt. Stuff: Chairs, bed, initial food, refrigerator, other upstart stuff.

Karaoke: My indulgence. I'm going to end up with a nice karaoke rig. This is my favorite way of meeting new people--hosting karaoke parties. They are very popular and everyone always has a ton of fun. I'll probably make up business cards that "advertise" my karaoke parties so I can hand them out (with my number, of course!) to cute women. It'll be a great ice breaker.

Computer: I depend on this for my living. I will buy the important components in the U.S. and build it there.

So I believe that $1000 a month is very doable for one person. I will be on a stricter budget starting out and anticipate that I'll come to rest at the "Better" $1400 budget. But if you are doing a $1000 per month budget, it's necessary to have a backup stash, at least enough to get you back home in an emergency.

Also, keep in mind realistic "startup" costs.

Nice rundown Mike.  It is great that some people can live on $1000 a month.  Ned on the philippinedreams blogsite on youtube does monthly budget videos.  He has a beautiful girlfriend, nice enough home, gym membership, motorbike and car, and doesn't particularly scrimp on things (although he admits to being a bit kuripot), and still usually comes in around $1000, primarily due to the fact he just pays 10K rent in Dumaguete.   He does a great job on his videos. 

However, other guys just have a bit more money to spend and want a bit more comfort.  I am 6'5, and want a comfortable bed to sleep in, and a sofa which is comfortable to relax on while watching a decent quality TV.  Those are a couple of things I am not willing to give up, and which will cost a bit of money in the place I end up renting. I'm also going to go the furnished route on the place I rent until I am sure I want to settle down in a place. I'm still a bit leery about the safely and comfort of living in a $300 a month house, but possibly that will change with time.

Edited by Albert Russell
  • Like 2

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Computer: I depend on this for my living. I will buy the important components in the U.S. and build it there.

NOTE the extra break risks in Phils on electrical things.

/Check the Hz so it suit the equipment you buy.   (Of that reason I will bring very few such stuff myself.)

/The FLUCTUATING electricity.     So a stabilisator can be a very good investment.

I HOPE    :)   only the CHARGERS for laptops will break.   Do anyone know if the break stays there?

Yes, thanX, I will have a solid battery backup/surge protector. This is one of the components I will buy in the Philippines.

• Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

Rather than thinking about living on $1,000 or any set amount, think instead about what it will take to give you the same lifestyle you have now or want to have. How much is just an initial expense and how much is on going. In California a house would be considered an ongoing expense since most require about a 30 year mortgage. In Cebu or Cebu Province I can finance a lot and build a comparable house and have it paid off in 5 years or less! :-) Things like food, gas and electricity would be ongoing expenses. There are ways to make these things cheaper without having to give up anything. For food cook at home using natural, local ingredients. Do recipes from scratch. No pre-packaged prepared stuff. It's more work but you'll get more nutritious, better tasting meals as well as being less expensive. Save on electricity by having solar panels installed. Get an electric car. The Volt is an all electric car but does have a gasoline generator to run on gas when you need it. I checked this out before and there is a Chevrolet dealer in Cebu where the Volt can be bought and serviced.

Edited by tomaw
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Rather than thinking about living on $1,000 or any set amount, think instead about what it will take to give you the same lifestyle you have now or want to have. How much is just an initial expense and how much is on going. In California a house would be considered an ongoing expense since most require about a 30 year mortgage. In Cebu or Cebu Province I can finance a lot and build a comparable house and have it paid off in 5 years or less! :-) Things like food, gas and electricity would be ongoing expenses. There are ways to make these things cheaper without having to give up anything. For food cook at home using natural, local ingredients. Do recipes from scratch. No pre-packaged prepared stuff. It's more work but you'll get more nutritious, better tasting meals as well as being less expensive. Save on electricity by having solar panels installed. Get an electric car. The Volt is an all electric car but does have a gasoline generator to run on gas when you need it. I checked this out before and there is a Chevrolet dealer in Cebu where the Volt can be bought and serviced.

Good practical advice.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
what it will take to give you the same lifestyle you have now or want to have

Your right Tom, this is SO subjective. I personally could not live HAPPILY on 1000USD a month. We own (built new to our design) our own home so rent is out of the picture. I have found that we have very little change in life style with about 40% or our pre-retirement income. Major difference is that we no longer really add to our nest egg as we did in the past.

For food cook at home using natural, local ingredients. Do recipes from scratch

You are also correct that you can economize on food. HOWEVER after two years of eating tapsilog, pancit canton, longsilog, and all the other "normal" Filipino food (equivalent to our hamburgers, hotdogs, chili mac, mac and cheese and spaghetti etc.) I personally found that my "quality" of life improves when I eat food that I am used to. These cost money. Can of chili goes for about 2USD at S&R, Miracle Whip (when you can find it) about 3 bucks a jar.

Save on electricity by having solar panels installed

This topic has been discussed extensively in some previous posts. I personally don't think it would be economically viable. If they didn't get blown away by a typhoon, or taken at night by recyclers, even though electricity is expensive here the time to recoup your investment might be pretty long. That is if you stay in the same place. I do not believe it will add to the value of the house like it would in the states.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
While we are here can I just ask all to remember a little something, While we are discussing what we need to live on, and possibly moaning about a Country we left for a better life, The Meal I treated my wife to last night cost twice+ the daily wage the Waitress that served us earns in a day. Maybe we should all think about this sometimes.

Reminds me of that phrase we have all heard and and what it sounds like many are trying demanding to live...

"Come to the Philippines and live like a KING!"

Thanks for the reality check, Jack!

:attention:  :tiphat:  :mocking:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Aren't Parents funny people at times but so Full of matter of fact truth.

When I told them ( Mom & Dad both in their 80's at the time) That Azon and I would marry and end up Living in the PI, up came the usual Parental guidance ( Although at 58) I took it as a, I told you So Speech.

Son Remember what we Told you when you decided to marry First time. " You made your bed now you must lie on it" you never Listened then and I doubt you will Listen now. Good Luck and God Bless is all they would say.

So here we all are, We have made our Beds. Now the reality is here. If we don't have enough "TOUGH"

My Folks have long gone Now, But if i was to have a conversation with them based on this topic, I Know what they Would say.

As I have said many times, those that need to do the Homework before they Come Do it! Those that are here and on a Fixed Income like me, have no other choice but to make your, life fit the income. So if $1.000 is all you will have you are just going to have to make Do.

Negative Thoughts NO! 

Positive thoughts on an Actuality!  

While we are here can I just ask all to remember a little something, While we are discussing what we need to live on, and possibly moaning about a Country we left for a better life, The Meal I treated my wife to last night cost twice+ the daily wage the Waitress that served us earns in a day. Maybe we should all think about this sometimes.

Morning All  :tiphat:  :morning1: paper.gif

Hi Jack

When I left home my parents were really helpful. I told them I was leaving and went to the CR when I came out they had already packed my bags. They could have left me with the task ,but they helped out they really so helpful.

On a more serious note there is a bakery I go to at lunchtime most days and have a couple of pepsi colas. If you seen how much the girls, who work there, can afford to eat then you would see how right Jack is.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I can understand how my life would look kingly to some Filipinos. I was chatting with one woman who told me they were feeding 5 on 367 piso a day, about what I paid for lunch away from home most days. She thought they were doing well. I asked what 73 piso per person buys and she told me rice and little fishes when I had no idea what kind of fish from the name she told me. If someone told me they were living on 15 times (3 meals a day for 5 people) what I was making do with, I'd think you weren't hurting, if not exactly kingly.

• Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted

I've read several times that even well educated Filipinos with ''good '' jobs such as nurses, engineers and teachers, only earn about the equivalent of $400 a month.