Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thats why i know with what we have coming in we shall be fine ,

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Posted Today, 03:06 AM I've read several times that even well educated Filipinos with ''good '' jobs such as nurses, engineers and teachers, only earn about the equivalent of $400 a month.

Absolutely Correct, my Wife is a CPA with a Large Utility Supplier here on Negros. With 17 years service and an In Charge Badge, She is still only on $477 a month BEFORE stoppages (Tax, SSS and other issues deducted. net pay varies but usually is about  40% of the gross.

She considers she is well paid. ( Even with the out of hours input and other Activities, Unpaid)

Of course there are perks as with most large companies but money is money! 

Before I came along Life with an 8 year old was hard. Mama was starting to cost a lot too ( 95 now) 

Morning All

JP  :tiphat:  :morning1:

Edited by Jack Peterson

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Rather than thinking about living on $1,000 or any set amount, think instead about what it will take to give you the same lifestyle you have now or want to have. 

Hi, Tomaw.  As the others here noted, if you want to have a comparable lifestyle, it's going to cost you.  If you're bringing your wife from the US to the Philippines, you likely will have no choice but to continue to live in a manner to which your wife is accustomed, and that's going to cost much more than $1000/month.  It's hard for most people (especially women) to take a step backwards.  I lived in a truck for 11 years (long haul trucker) prior to moving here, so just having a decent home and a stable life were huge steps up for me.  And my wife has improved her living situation also, so she is quite happy with our modest budget and middle-class Filipino lifestyle.  It's all relative.  :) 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

so she is quite happy with our modest budget and middle-class Filipino lifestyle.  It's all relative.   

:hystery:  Now there is a Phrase that can add $150/$200 a month to the budget frankie.gif

I kid you not (Unless like me, you are mercenary about it ) thatsit.gif

JP :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

so she is quite happy with our modest budget and middle-class Filipino lifestyle.  It's all relative.   

:hystery:  Now there is a Phrase that can add $150/$200 a month to the budget frankie.gif

I kid you not (Unless like me, you are mercenary about it ) thatsit.gif

JP :tiphat:

RELATIVE, not relativeS...haha.  Those can add a lot more than $200 a month.  It's the biggest expense for lots of guys living here!

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Rather than thinking about living on $1,000 or any set amount, think instead about what it will take to give you the same lifestyle you have now or want to have. 

Hi, Tomaw.  As the others here noted, if you want to have a comparable lifestyle, it's going to cost you.  If you're bringing your wife from the US to the Philippines, you likely will have no choice but to continue to live in a manner to which your wife is accustomed, and that's going to cost much more than $1000/month.  It's hard for most people (especially women) to take a step backwards.  I lived in a truck for 11 years (long haul trucker) prior to moving here, so just having a decent home and a stable life were huge steps up for me.  And my wife has improved her living situation also, so she is quite happy with our modest budget and middle-class Filipino lifestyle.  It's all relative.  :) 

Yep.  I currently live in university accommodation, a one room studio with full bathroom and a small kitchenette.  Even at $200AUD/week for my modest place here, I'll still be saving money by living in something larger in PH in the areas I'm looking at.  I've seen some of those "sleepers" on the trucks in the US Larry, I don't think my current place would be much bigger than what you were living in!  :cheersty:

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've read several times that even well educated Filipinos with ''good '' jobs such as nurses, engineers and teachers, only earn about the equivalent of $400 a month.

Time to go off topic for a second.  Nothing against Tomaw on his post but it makes a really great example to make things easier for everybody on this forum...  Please use Pesos!  Because a Peso today will be a Peso tomorrow and a Peso next year and the year after too!

When you put it into $, it doesn't make things easy for others...  Not everybody is working with American $ (Canadians, Brits, Aussies, Swedes, Filipinos...).  An example -  what people make is often close together in American $ but Pesos will show that it is actually a large difference, and exchange rates change almost daily...  Besides, this is the Philippines we are talking about...

So, for a real example?  Teachers make about P14,000 while a nurse is P15,000 a year (not my numbers but from other posts in the past)...  So, by today's numbers, a teacher makes $312.43 a month and a teacher 334.75 - not much in $ but a lot in pesos.  And neither one is close to $400 a month (P17,924).  Just about any working teacher would love to go from P14,000 to P18,000 a year!

And now back to our regular scheduled program...

:attention:  :mocking:

Edited by I am bob
corrected to years and not month's pay
  • Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Please use Pesos!  Because a Peso today will be a Peso tomorrow and a Peso next year and the year after too!

The Peso standard!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Bob. you might want to edit that, it's months not years. Good point though. I have been working on the conversion in my head PHP vs USD along with the dreaded metric system. :)

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bob. you might want to edit that, it's months not years. Good point though. I have been working on the conversion in my head PHP vs USD along with the dreaded metric system. :)

Funny you say that Robert about the conversions, I was the same in the PI, my brain just does the conversion automatically. I have had to return to my birth country because of a death in the family and even here I am converting everything to pesos and when I do the conversion it really frightens me. 1pkt Cigarettes here I can buy 30 packs there, 2 beers here at the pub I can get a decent meal for 2 at Mooon Cafe with beers, it's bloody crazy here. Can't wait to get on the plane back home to my little house in Mactan.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 4