Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The OP started this topic on the 5th November 2013, he has never been seen again after December the 4th 2013. I wonder if he got the answer he was looking for? Realized he needs to save harder? Got scared and joined the Foreign Legion or is now planning his retirement for as he said; 2015.

:89:

This is one of those topics that will never close and will be interesting if we are still here in 5 years time to see if the average amount needed per month has changed dramatically. 

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Tom, you haven't changed your avatar for months now, you feeling ok??? ;)

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Tom, you haven't changed your avatar for months now, you feeling ok??? ;)

post-686-0-23954900-1404399309.jpg

Ah hah!  Hmmm......bery interesting that Tom (BossMan, JGF) may be the author of this OP?

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

post-1632-0-93284300-1404404218_thumb.jp

Jake, since the topic has been hijacked to include posting a dog picture, I decided to do the same. For consideration by our beloved leader for a future avatar is a portrait of a Pug taken in St. Joseph, Missouri. He has old age issues and needs a homemade harness to get around.

My fun project while traveling is taking photographs for www.rvdoggies.blogspot.com featuring "The Adventures of America's Traveling Dogs."  This one sums up our collective attitude. Getting old; health issues; needs help, but with a big smile on our face.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 4

Kinilaw
Posted
Posted

I havent read through all 19 pages of this post, my apologies if this has been mentioned but the exchange rate is just as important as the dollar amount. I have seen it float anywhere from around 38 to 55. Imagine someone spends $3k/month and the rate goes from 45 to 42, thats p108k that was just pissed away. Swings like this have been common over the last ten years.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I havent read through all 19 pages of this post, my apologies if this has been mentioned

You make a good point about the exchange rate!

No need to read through the entire 19 pages if you want to see if your post has been mentioned.  Near the top right you can enter "exchange" in the search box and search "This topic".  It will show you that the exchange rate was only mentioned once and only in a casual way.  As you pointed out, the effect of the exchange rate can be catastrophic to someone on a fixed budget.

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think you could cushion the shocks by having some cash on hand. The piso conversion fluctuates, don't put yourself in the situation where you must change a large amount of currency at the worst rate. If 10% will make or break you, were you really living within your means to begin with? :no:

• Like 3

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Funny you mentioned the exchange. Right now the DJIA is the highest it has been in over a decade including the time when the exchange was 56:1. At over 17k, it should be over 60:1 but the BSP is engaged in currency manipulation per govt order.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Yeah.  I have only lived here for 17 months.  So I can tell you how much I need to live on... I really can't make recommendations for others ha ha.  It is a popular topic.  I get a lot of hits on my blog from Google budget questions.  Every expat forum has this topic.  And it is good to read and compare what other people live on.  I just read the other day where a guy was happy his electric bill was down to p8,000 - and I have been freaking out because mine went up to p4,000!   :tiphat:

With the mild climate in Baguio and no need for aircon my monthly electric bills have been running around 800 pesos per month.

For all my utilities, DSL Internet, best Sky Cable HD package, water, electric and 2 cell phones; my monthly expense is less than 5000 pesos.

Health care is a big cost saver those times you need it.

My wife tripped and fell while out jogging. She hurt her chin very hard on a cement curb. Huge gash on her chin and there was a chance she hurt her jaw also. Took her to emergency at a private Baguio hospital. Total cost for treatment was 2250 pesos plus 328 pesos for meds. This included an x-ray for her jaw (250 pesos) and 1000 pesos of the cost was for a tetanus shot. A bit less than $60 USD total.

Imagine what all that would have cost in the U.S., even if you went to urgent care rather than an emergency room.

Hello Earthdome,

Not too shabby that you still enjoy life in beautiful Baguio with a warm companion now.  Apparently you're smarter

than an average bear because your budget can easily handle a growing family.  For a nuke engineer (US subs),

you're one very slick bubblehead not telling us you got married recently.

Well done my friend.....most respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Hello Earthdome,   Not too shabby that you still enjoy life in beautiful Baguio with a warm companion now.  Apparently you're smarter than an average bear because your budget can easily handle a growing family.  For a nuke engineer (US subs), you're one very slick bubblehead not telling us you got married recently.   Well done my friend.....most respectfully -- Jake

I was wondering if any of the regulars here would notice that. Sharp observation.

I have just been keeping a low profile. You know, Silent Service and all that.

• Like 3