Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

doesn't get much better than that.

Well, Frosty, I have said it before and I don't really care, if I sound like a broken record!, Integration and living with/as the Locals will yeald you, a good life and reduce your cost dramatically. We the foreigner, " Are, our own worst Enemies"  so many, will not or can not, adapt to the life here. YET if they try it, they too, will find out that in the Main Streets , the Tourist areas, we are all just being ripped off. To avoid the " Long nose Tax, don't go where the "Long Nose Tax" can be applied. Stay around the area you live in. When in Rome, comes to mind here. When we go out and about we know, we are going to pay more but for day to day things, I have to agree with you, it does not get much better, than your local Sari - Sari

post-2148-0-74308500-1401783039_thumb.jp        25 peso at local Sari Sari    45/60 at bar on the Boulevard

post-2148-0-23394000-1401783342.jpg                   20 malboro, 35 peso at sari sari  65/90 at Boulevard 

This is Dumaguete of course.

Go Figure.

:tiphat:

• Like 4

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have to agree with you, it does not get much better, than your local Sari - Sari

Thanks Jack, always enjoy my local and always feel welcome, sml 40 pesos, sml apple 28 pesos, hahaahah go figure, packet Marvel Menthol 20 pesos, if you want some local tucker(not bad) rice 15 pesos for a full plate and extras 20 pesos a bowl. Did notice at the mall Lucky Strike, buy one take one 64 pesos for 2 packs. I suppose it's just a case of adjusting, went to the local markets the other day, was a blast. Minute Burgers buy one get one, had 4 for 118 pesos, oh 8pesos for a bottle of coke

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

I have to agree with you, it does not get much better, than your local Sari - Sari

Thanks Jack, always enjoy my local and always feel welcome, sml 40 pesos, sml apple 28 pesos, hahaahah go figure, packet Marvel Menthol 20 pesos, if you want some local tucker(not bad) rice 15 pesos for a full plate and extras 20 pesos a bowl. Did notice at the mall Lucky Strike, buy one take one 64 pesos for 2 packs. I suppose it's just a case of adjusting, went to the local markets the other day, was a blast. Minute Burgers buy one get one, had 4 for 118 pesos, oh 8pesos for a bottle of coke

My my, cigs, coke cola and beer, good to see folks keeping healthy around here lol!

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

My my, cigs, coke cola and beer, good to see folks keeping healthy around here lol!

Well I suppose it is better than whinging about how much food costs here hahahahahh :lol:

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

attachicon.gifSMB.jpg        25 peso at local Sari Sari    45/60 at bar on the Boulevard

I posted this on another forum, but still think it's applicable in the debate over how cheap or expensive it is in the Philippines:

A guy visits or moves to the Philippines. He discovers San Miguel. It's cheap and not half bad. He's a happy camper and the Philippines seems so great. Does he:

a. Save money on his monthly beer budget by drinking San Miguel, or

b. Drink more, declaring "this place isn't so damn cheap and I have to get drunk every day to put up with it."

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

b. Drink more, declaring "this place isn't so damn cheap and I have to get drunk every day to put up with it."

I guess, if volume becomes the issue, it may be time to move on to Litre bottles.

3x 330 SMB @ 25 = 75p

1 full litre SMB @ 67 = 67p

thus  :)  a saving of 8 peso per Litre, if he drinks 2 litres a day, to stay happy, then he gets a saving of 112 pesos, over 7 days

Where there is a will, there will be a way to save a little cash  :lol:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We have a distributor right down the street.  They will deliver by the case!  Good prices too ha ha   :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
We have a distributor right down the street.  They will deliver by the case!  Good prices too ha ha 

Things get better, with each Post   :thumbsup:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I guess, if volume becomes the issue, it may be time to move on to Litre bottles.

3x 330 SMB @ 25 = 75p

1 full litre SMB @ 67 = 67p

thus  :)  a saving of 8 peso per Litre, if he drinks 2 litres a day, to stay happy, then he gets a saving of 112 pesos, over 7 days

Where there is a will, there will be a way to save a little cash  :lol:

JP :tiphat:

This morning I met my friends Father in law in the market. He tells me that Tuba (coconut wine) Is 20 peso a gallon here.I see some of the locals after they have been drinking it so won`t try it myself. Here I usually pay in a bar 30 -35 for a pilsen 70 for a grande.