Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I am wiling to spend up to $1,500 a month rent maybe up to $2,000 but i want my beach!
If you go outside Metro Cebu, there are some beach houses for SALE for that  :)   (on Freehold land). 
i dont need to live Mactan or cebu , but i do want an open beach with a city within an hour away that has the western things like i have to have once in awhile.
I don't know if it reach your demands of standard, but I found some in most south part of Minglanilla more than good enough for me. Rent was a bit over 1000 USD per month (I believe 8000 pesos). I don't know if the house belong to the resort, but the renting was handled by a resort there. I don't remember the resort name, but it's close to the south border of Minglanilla province.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Rent was a bit over 1000 USD per month (I believe 8000 pesos).

Not sure which of those numbers you mean... but p8,000 is only about $185 right now. 

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Rent was a bit over 1000 USD per month (I believe 8000 pesos).

Not sure which of those numbers you mean... but p8,000 is only about $185 right now. 

Sorry. I'm used to recount to SEK  :)    (It's 1000 SEK)

8000 PESOS per month for a rather nice house beside the beach.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jack, my experience (and everything I've read) about Philhealth is that the hospital discount is a lot closer to 10% then 50.

Good Morning Mike, You were quite right.

:buttkick: Well, this is embarrassing, Lesson learned I guess, 

I Should, have listened to my Wife a little more, when she, is telling me things.

My BAD on this, Sorry.  :unsure:

I have given myself 100 lines  ( I must Listen more, to my Wife. :rolleyes: )

:tiphat:  :morning1:

Now that is what an officer and a gentleman should be.  As a pilot-navigator in the British RAF, you finally

loosened your panties and said My BAD on this, Sorry.  We acknowledge your humbleness but you have

to pay the final price on this: go see Mike S for your last instructions (make sure you bring the boy butter....he, he).

Anyway, let's say that a nice beach house can be found for about 200 bucks US.  That would be pretty

good for any budget minded people.  I usually allocate 50% for rent or mortgage.  In this case, a beach

house only going for 20% of that 1000 bucks -- I can revise my monthly budget for more entertainment

and refreshments, like more halo-halo doing the hala-hala......he, he.

Go see BrettGC for that hala-hala dance......

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

It may or may not involve old newspapers burning out of certain orifices...

• Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted

Interested in this thread.

As an american thinking about moving to phillipines on atleast a temporary basis.

I am wondering a few things

what would a good beach front condo/home run per month? And where is a reputable place to find?

What is the best place for americans there?

I know that's an opinion, but with all the islands and cities, it can be very overwhelming to decide on a place?

And going on vacation and jumping from island to island , isn't really feasible.

Any opinions?

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would not live someplace with a home owners association unless the rent was free.

I am looking at Naga, south of Cebu city. A nice lady I am chatting with tells me a nice apartment can be rented for 5,000 piso, about $120 a month, I'm sure you can pay less and more. I would imagine that for twice that you could get a very nice place. I think a small condo could be found in Cebu city for around 16,000 piso and a larger nicer one in a choice spot on a higher floor might cost as much as double that, 32,000 piso or more to rent. You decide what you want to pay. I would take my time to find a place that really suits. I have a friend who after the move went directly from the hotel to a house he had not checked out thoroughly, signed a lease, spent a good chunk of money to get it to western standard and is now dealing with a termite infestation. He's moving in October when his contract on the house is up. The house is the only thing that has really disappointed him about the RP.

I can understand why living close to the beach would be attractive but we aren't talking California here. Storm surge and waves can be pretty fierce.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

And going on vacation and jumping from island to island , isn't really feasible.

:welcome:  :wave:  But why say this. Ferry travel between islands, is fairly quick and in the main inexpensive.

We all have our own story to tell and it is of course, our own opinion, what we consider best. You do really, have to see places to get the larger view of things.

Negros island is Beautiful, a lot safer than a lot of the larger Islands (and the Smaller for that matter) in general, less crime and cheaper to live.

I have a friend over from the UK just now that has done 5 Islands in a week and after 11 years of coming here has seen things he could only read about. Now he has seen them (For better or Worse) he can talk about them knowingly.

As said before, no one should come with a fixed Plan at First. Visit, get the feel of a place and if it does not suit, move on.

with so many Islands and Hidden Places, there is somewhere for all of us

happy hunting

:th_Good-Luck:

:tiphat:

• Like 2

usa32
Posted
Posted

My expected budget is 1800-2000 usd a month.

I hope to live decently on that.

Ideally I would like to be a smaller city, that I could get to cebu city or manilla if needed.

I would like somewhere close to the beach, and where it's easier to meet quality women, for a wife

Any other suggestions?

Where would you suggest a guy coming over for a month to stay?

usa32
Posted
Posted

Jack, my experience (and everything I've read) about Philhealth is that the hospital discount is a lot closer to 10% then 50.

Good Morning Mike, You were quite right.

:buttkick: Well, this is embarrassing, Lesson learned I guess, 

I Should, have listened to my Wife a little more, when she, is telling me things.

My BAD on this, Sorry.  :unsure:

I have given myself 100 lines  ( I must Listen more, to my Wife. :rolleyes: )

:tiphat:  :morning1:

Now that is what an officer and a gentleman should be.  As a pilot-navigator in the British RAF, you finally

loosened your panties and said My BAD on this, Sorry.  We acknowledge your humbleness but you have

to pay the final price on this: go see Mike S for your last instructions (make sure you bring the boy butter....he, he).

Anyway, let's say that a nice beach house can be found for about 200 bucks US.  That would be pretty

good for any budget minded people.  I usually allocate 50% for rent or mortgage.  In this case, a beach

house only going for 20% of that 1000 bucks -- I can revise my monthly budget for more entertainment

and refreshments, like more halo-halo doing the hala-hala......he, he.

Jake, you seem like you have been in phillipines awhile, do you have an email or skype or something where I could talk to you at for questions/suggestions?