Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Jack, my experience (and everything I've read) about Philhealth is that the hospital discount is a lot closer to 10% then 50.

Good Morning Mike, You were quite right.

:buttkick: Well, this is embarrassing, Lesson learned I guess, 

I Should, have listened to my Wife a little more, when she, is telling me things.

The Total of the 3 (Three) Insurance Policies that we are included on, is 50%

Each of the policies cover different things. when you add them all up it comes to near enough to 50%

Philhealth, as you quite rightly say, pays only minimal discounts but is still, very worthwhile having. The last one we had, was for Azon's Mama, she is 94 and had a fall.

The Amount, discounted was 12.5% but  there was a reduction in her, OLD Peoples allowance 2 months later albeit small. We never told her, we just made up the difference, so she had her Full money.

My BAD on this, Sorry.  :unsure:

I have given myself 100 lines  ( I must Listen more, to my Wife. :rolleyes: )

attachicon.giflines.jpg

:tiphat:  :morning1:

I

I think there are too many variables. to give a really clear picture of what PH pays. In April I had to pay a hospital bill which was around 9000 pesos and PH paid 250 pesos short of 50% But it is well worth having even if they only pay 10%.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Every day is an adventure..

:hystery:  :hystery: How right you are. Just like the Voyages of "The Starship Enterprise" and some days, just as unbelievable. :no:

post-2148-0-42799400-1400816223.jpg

mmm Did I really say this but then, we are on the "Fantasy Islands"

post-2148-0-28904300-1400816262_thumb.jp

And each day, we get more come to join us, in the Adventure.

post-2148-0-33917000-1400816404_thumb.jp

OK. OK. I know, I will close the door, on my way out

post-2148-0-74745200-1400816489_thumb.jp

BUT some days, we need the Humour  :rolleyes:

Good Morning All  :morning1:

:tiphat: JP

• Like 3

Ynot
Posted
Posted

As many people have said, it depends on your tastes and expectations.  It's like how much money will I need in retirement?  If you are living on $25,000 a year, and social security will give you $ 20,000 a year, then you will not need a lot of super to generate the $ 6,000 to give you the life you enjoyed whilst working.  However, if you are receiving say $ 150,000 a year and only have say $ 600,000 in super, then you are in for a rude awakening.  The $ 600,000 will not generate the $ 150,000 you are used to spending.  So often people who enjoy a high salary have more difficulty in adjusting to their new life style as their expectations are generally higher than what they can actually achieve based on their superannuation account balances.  So I suppose this is long winded way of saying it really boils down to your expectations and the money you have at your disposal to generate the income to meet that expectation.  If your expectations are low ( you dont mind a nippa hut), then more than likely you will meet your expectations.  However if you like all the mod cons, and life's little luxuries, then you need more $$$ 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

For the non-Aussies, "Super" is short for superannuation.  It's a compulsory payment at about 9.25% of gross earnings as a minimum, that all employers have to pay everyone in Australia no matter what the job is (unless you've been able to talk your workers into being sub-contractors and therefore defrauding the Australian Tax Office if they work for you more for than 70% of their annual income - stand by to be bankrupted, fined, and charged criminally (custodial sentence) when they catch up with you).  Being only 45 I can't access this "preserved benefit" until I'm 65 unless I can prove permanent residency overseas.  

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

For the non-Aussies, "Super" is short for superannuation.  It's a compulsory payment at about 9.25% of gross earnings as a minimum, that all employers have to pay everyone in Australia no matter what the job is (unless you've been able to talk your workers into being sub-contractors and therefore defrauding the Australian Tax Office if they work for you more for than 70% of their annual income - stand by to be bankrupted, fined, and charged criminally (custodial sentence) when they catch up with you).  Being only 45 I can't access this "preserved benefit" until I'm 65 unless I can prove permanent residency overseas.  

I hope when we get to 65 we will still get to access it :)

• Like 1

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Ynot not are very accurate in you blog about adjusting , i am making adjustments now while i am here trying to learn to live cheaper.     I dont have too but i am practicing the art. i cook almost all my meals and try to waste too much money i have a budget for everything. When i am there i plan to live on $5,000 per month, which i now i can handle even though i spend a lot more now. i am sure my biggest outlay will be rent. I am wiling to spend up to $1,500 a month rent maybe up to $2,000 but i want my beach!

I would like somebodys help because i have not found what i want yet. i would like to rent a two bedroom condo on a beach that is open so i can have long walks and runs , when i was in Mactan i saw a bunch of properties i liked but all the beaches are sectioned off.   i dont need to live Mactan or cebu , but i do want an open beach with a city within an hour away that has the western things like i have to have once in awhile. Movie theater, some good malls , night life and good grocery stores like a SR, i even thought about Angels City i sort of liked it there but really have my heart set on living on the beach.  Is there nay place i can my cake and eat it too!

So far i have been many places in Cebu but maybe just missed open beaches so have not found the perfect spot there. Malapasqua too remote, Boracay no decent malls or grocery stores.

Please help willing to but a lot of beer and have a party with who ever can hook me up with a place.   Thanks Poker Mike

• Like 2

pokermike
Posted
Posted

i am a little busy working today, but i think i have nailed my projected expenses down for Mactan . i am going to submit my projected expenses and , if  someone could tell me where i am making a mistake or missing something please help me, if you would. I just spent hours running it town its right at $5,000      Thanks Mike

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I retired about two months. Our plan is to crisscross both the United States and Canada in an RV while we are still independent living seniors. The thing about budgeting for retirement expenses is to adjust and be flexible. Tickets to Legoland in Carlsbad, California were over $100 each for a day pass. So scratch off visits to amusement parks. Well, maybe a one day pass to Disney World in Orlando, Florida when we get there, but that's it. Another adjustment is the cost of eating out. We try to keep it to just one meal per day, sometimes one outside meal every two days.

The most important thing is to have a budget. The next most important thing is not to exceed the budget. Don't forget keeping some money in reserve for emergencies.

• Like 1

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Ynot not are very accurate in you blog about adjusting , i am making adjustments now while i am here trying to learn to live cheaper. I dont have too but i am practicing the art. i cook almost all my meals and try to waste too much money i have a budget for everything. When i am there i plan to live on $5,000 per month, which i now i can handle even though i spend a lot more now. i am sure my biggest outlay will be rent. I am wiling to spend up to $1,500 a month rent maybe up to $2,000 but i want my beach!

I would like somebodys help because i have not found what i want yet. i would like to rent a two bedroom condo on a beach that is open so i can have long walks and runs , when i was in Mactan i saw a bunch of properties i liked but all the beaches are sectioned off. i dont need to live Mactan or cebu , but i do want an open beach with a city within an hour away that has the western things like i have to have once in awhile. Movie theater, some good malls , night life and good grocery stores like a SR, i even thought about Angels City i sort of liked it there but really have my heart set on living on the beach. Is there nay place i can my cake and eat it too!

So far i have been many places in Cebu but maybe just missed open beaches so have not found the perfect spot there. Malapasqua too remote, Boracay no decent malls or grocery stores.

Please help willing to but a lot of beer and have a party with who ever can hook me up with a place. Thanks Poker Mike

Depending on what you like Mike you might wanna look around Subic, zambales area

A lot closer to the beach, nightlife western goodies etc

You have a comfortable budget so you should be able I find a nice place I. Your price range anywhere you're looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk