Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have been trying for over a year to try some tuba... nobody makes it around here?!?!!!

Thomas
Posted
Posted
He tells me that Tuba (coconut wine) Is 20 peso a gallon here.I see some of the locals after they have been drinking it so won`t try it myself.
The father of a Filipina I know, had Tuba production at Samar, but he quit, because it was bad business because her mother drunk it all  :hystery:

robert k
Posted
Posted

Gets someone to help you make it? Pop65z on youtube was extolling the health benefits of drinking the unfermented "coconut tree wine", they would remove the yeast ball before it had fermented and drink it. His video showed his setup. :)

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Gets someone to help you make it? Pop65z on youtube was extolling the health benefits of drinking the unfermented "coconut tree wine", they would remove the yeast ball before it had fermented and drink it. His video showed his setup. :)

Well. Coconuts/milk/water are good for health. I believe it's better for health if NOT make it become alcohol   :)

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
was extolling the health benefits of drinking the unfermented "coconut tree wine",

Unfermented?   Why bother ha ha!  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

was extolling the health benefits of drinking the unfermented "coconut tree wine",

Unfermented?   Why bother ha ha!  :tiphat:

A lot coco water are imported from Brazil to USA  :lol:

robert k
Posted
Posted

I'm not judging, never was a teetotaller. I think you could leave the yeast ball in it and maybe add some sugar to keep the action going! :tiphat:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
tomaw
Posted
Posted

As a newbie to international travel I know adjusting to traveling to the Philippines will be difficult but I have made up my mind that I am going to retire there.

I'll be making a 2 month trip  there early 2014 to get accustomed to the areas.

I will retire in early 2015 but I just found out my S.S. is going to be $1000 a month and thats it. Of course I cant live very well in the US on that .

I dont need a luxury place but certainly need something better that a nipa hut.

My question is will it limit the areas I can live in and can I live a comfortable life on $1000. a month?

I think the biggest expense anywhere is a place to live.  Are you single or married? If married  and your wife is a Filipina I'd be looking into buying a house or condo BEFORE moving there permanently. I asked if you are married to a Filipina because as a foreigner you can't own land in your name but you can put it in her name. I don't know where you live in the US but here in California the average house will cost $300K- $500K and you will usually need 20% down and take about 30 years to pay off! In Cebu it will be a fraction of that and you can pay it off in 5 years! Best to save up and just pay off all at once BUT RENT FIRST! Take time to get to know the place to see if that is what you really want. Because once you buy a place it is very hard to re-sell it. Best of luck!

• Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

About 80 million people live on less than that, Dont expect anything too grand

That is true but he needs to look at the way they live and the way he lives and wants to live once he is there.  Remember, a lot of Filipino families live together, they don't have hot water and many other things Westerners take for granted.

If you want to live in The Philippines and maintain the Western life style on $1000 a month I'd say take care of the biggest NON-RECURRING expenses first such as a house and maybe a car. Pay for these while still working in the US until they are paid for then retire.

Edited by MikeB
fixed quote
  • Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have been trying for over a year to try some tuba... nobody makes it around here?!?!!!

I tried it once and was not happy with it (tasted too much like vinegar to me). You really are not missing anything Tuka.

• Like 1