Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I will sure have PhilHealth, but will need to check which health insurance I will have to cover any HUGE health cost, which is to urgent to go to Sweden to do.  I hope I can find one with no limit, but with rather big part to pay myself if something happen, to keep the insurance fee lower.

Thomas, Good Evening

This an Area that will concern all of us in the End. Finding the type of Insurance that we may need, as you suggest is likely to cost very Heavy in premiums.

Over the last 5/6 years I and I guess many others have trawled the Internet to try and Find such an Insurance.

As we get older, things of course are bound to go wrong more often,

The main stumbling blocks I keep coming across, are Pre-existing health issues.

Insurance companies are no Fools, they know, that there are Policy holders that lie on the application and of course, find out that the condition claimed for, was existing and not admitted.

So there we are, surgery done in your case in Sweden, then the Insurers tell you. We are not, going to pay for this, you lied to us. This of course could happen to you or me here . So we should always admit, to existing health Problems when we make out our proposals, This is when we get the shock, The Premium per Year, could well be the same cost as a Trip Home. Phil-Health is pretty good, in that it meets in most cases ( but not all) 50% of your Stay in Hospital. Medicines and After care can be expensive.

This Health Insurance issue, is as new to me as it seems to you Thomas. Like you, I came from a Country that had quite a Good Health Service, Not Perfect, But at least we did not have to pay for hospital Stays or Operations (Of course we could if we wanted go private.)

Thomas, if you do, come up with a health insurance that satisfies your needs, with a smaller Premium than some, Please keep us Posted, so we can follow your lead.  :thumbsup:

:tiphat:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Jack, my experience (and everything I've read) about Philhealth is that the hospital discount is a lot closer to 10% then 50.  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack, my experience (and everything I've read) about Philhealth is that the hospital discount is a lot closer to 10% then 50.

Mike, I will check into this, Corazons membership, is a corporate one and is part of her conditions of employment, it covers Spouse and her Mother + our daughter, the premiums are considerably higher, the Company pay 75% and we pay 25%. Due to that fact, things are maybe, reflected differently in benefits, I will talk to her later and of course, amend my Statement accordingly.

Thank You for Bringing this to my attention, I just thought, all members would be treated the same. obviously not.

If I am wrong, then I apologize 

:tiphat:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
This Health Insurance issue, is as new to me as it seems to you Thomas.
I have looked it through roughly, except I did read rather much about PhilHealth a year ago, so I will sure have that,

but I haven't found any no limit insurance with a high self risk  (e g I pay the first 100 000 pesos and they pay (almost) all the rest.

So there we are, surgery done in your case in Sweden, then the Insurers tell you.
I DON'T need an insurance covering problems as knees, because such are not in a hurry, so such I can go to Sweden to do.

I will need something covering URGENT BIG problems as e g stroke, heartfailure and traffic accidents.

(It was a while since I read it,.)  Yes, as you say for MANY illneses,

BUT - if NOT staying in private room - PhilHealth cover  the main part for some COMMON illnesses among poor people.

(I saw a list somewhere telling STATIC sums they pay for each of the common illnesses, undepending of what the cost is.)

As I understood it, PhilHealth also check the bills for overcharging.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I think this is why I love this forum so much; always good information that needs to be validated based on personal experience.  Every one's situation or perspective is different.  For the most part, every member here understands that.  Thanks for sharing guys.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Good Morning Mike, You were quite right.

:buttkick: Well, this is embarrassing, Lesson learned I guess, 

I Should, have listened to my Wife a little more, when she, is telling me things.

The Total of the 3 (Three) Insurance Policies that we are included on, is 50%

Each of the policies cover different things. when you add them all up it comes to near enough to 50%

Philhealth, as you quite rightly say, pays only minimal discounts but is still, very worthwhile having. The last one we had, was for Azon's Mama, she is 94 and had a fall.

The Amount, discounted was 12.5% but  there was a reduction in her, OLD Peoples allowance 2 months later albeit small. We never told her, we just made up the difference, so she had her Full money.

My BAD on this, Sorry.  :unsure:

I have given myself 100 lines  ( I must Listen more, to my Wife. :rolleyes: )

post-2148-0-21336700-1400722044_thumb.jp

:tiphat:  :morning1:

I

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I thought I posted this yesterday but I must have messed it up.

When Abby had Katy by CS, the package price was 65k without Philhealth, and 50k with Philhealth, so we saved 15k, about 23%. We don't have any other insurance yet.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

We used Philhealth when our child was born because our private insurance does not cover maternity. This was almost 2 years ago; from memory, the total discount for the procedure and the additional 1 day stay was between 15-16% of the total bill. We were not on any package. But 40% of that went directly to the dr so the actual discount was about 11%. The dr should have either deducted that amount off the bill or waived any additional fee and I believe she did but in the excitement of everything I just paid the bill and left. I don't think there is any pre-existing issue with Philhealth so it's worth having even if you have private insurance.

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Our big family have used Phil Health 4 times since I,ve been involve. Savings through Phil Health has been between 30 and 40 %. Each incident was between 10,000 to 25,000 range. So maybe the higher the hospital cost the less % Phil Health pays

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Our big family have used Phil Health 4 times since I,ve been involve. Savings through Phil Health has been between 30 and 40 %. Each incident was between 10,000 to 25,000 range. So maybe the higher the hospital cost the less % Phil Health pays

Yes, kind of. They don't pay extra for private rooms or other extra services. They pay STATIC sums depending of ILLNESS TYPE, at least for several common illnesses.  (I have seen the list, but I have forgot the sums.)