Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

What's a CFO?

Chief Financial Officer - Modern business speak for book keeper :)

Jake
Posted
Posted

What's a CFO?

In this context, I believe Jeff R is referring to chief financial officer (CFO) as his wife who handles that department.  

My wife on occasion would throw me an extra bone when I'm banished to my doghouse.....he, he. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If you can't afford to pay a decent wage, give them a fancy title.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

In Baguio I am spending about $550 USD for rent, elec, water, drinking water, cable TV, DSL internet, cell phones and transportation (jeepney and taxi). Plus about $300 for food. P10,000 is rent on a nice 30sqm studio apartment. Total is about $850USD but that does not include eating out, entertainment, health insurance, visa extensions and meds. My guess is the total per month runs between $1,300 and $1,500USD.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If you can't afford to pay a decent wage, give them a fancy title.

Or a bone.

davis27
Posted
Posted

I'm confused about why 1,000 USD a month is considered "surviving" 

I found these monthly wages on another site

President of the Philippines salary is: 57,750

Vice President’s salary is: 46,200 – 54,917

Senator’s salary is: 40,425 -48,052

Congressman’s salary is: 40,425 -48,052

Governor’s salary is: 28,875 – 34,323

Mayor’s salary is: 23,422 – 27,842

A doctor earns between p18,000 – 35,000 pesos per month

An airline pilot earns 80- 100,000 pesos per month

So a doctor is making around 700 a month. He can't support himself, let alone his family? How are all these "wealthy" Filipinos in places like Makati surviving on those kinds of wages. How can they even afford any kind of luxury at all. I understand that Western-style spendings will be higher, but there are plenty of Filipinos who are enjoying those luxuries as well. I'm wondering how on Earth they can afford it if 1,000 USD a month is considered surviving. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Every one of those examples is showing income reported for tax purposes.  It comes nowhere near the amount of money that actually goes in their pockets.  (EDIT:  well maybe the pilot, I don't know what they make)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

According to Wikipedia, the President of the Philippines monthly salary for 2012 was p120k, the VP between 10-15k less. But the top politicians do not go into public service for these meager salaries, they're already from rich and powerful families, otherwise they wouldn't be there. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Ask yourself why a poor Filipino would spend thousands of USD to become elected to some modest position that pays a few thousand peso a month? That is one of the major problems with the Philippines.