Slowly Getting There - The House

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

The second floor is now at "lock-up" stage so I just thought I'd share the view :D 

We're converting an already built structure and adding a floor.  the ground floor is rendered besa bricks or cinder blocks as the rest of the world calls them,  with a bare concrete floor.  There's no concrete cancer anywhere, we had it checked.  The upper level is exterior hardened plywood, which I'll clad with something after I arrive firstly for longevity and secondly it just looks better (budget notwithstanding). .  The floor is wooden tongue-in-groove boards which I'll polish, again, after I arrive.  Kitchen is getting a make over which involved much consultation with Momma but we came to a compromise in the end; you could say I've definitely broken the two hour rule  :bash:

That's the bedroom window, located on the north side, I didn't want the sun coming in.  There's a front balcony that over-looks the beach;  house, road, beach in that order, unobstructed view facing east so only the morning sun.  I'll see if I still have those pictures too and post them.  Still insulation, ceiling and internal walls to go in as you can see.  I mentioned guttering but was met with some odd looks lol.  I might frame it as "we need something to fill the water tanks that will feed the water purification system and save us money" ;).  Haven't even gone there with fly-screens yet lol.  Can't wait for the solar panels and main surge protection switch/regulator on the switchboard conversations.... :1 (103):

Overall, slowly but surely we're getting there.  They say Rome wasn't built in a day but I reckon organising building anything from another country takes longer. :36_1_50[1]:

post-2862-0-79572900-1384871866_thumb.jp

• Like 5

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

Is this going to be "off grid"???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Is this going to be "off grid"???

Electrically or figuratively?

• Like 1

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

Well, electrical/water/etc. I'm assuming the bit about the gutters was for rainwater collection for a grey water system?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, electrical/water/etc. I'm assuming the bit about the gutters was for rainwater collection for a grey water system?

The place has running water but it's never advised you drink it.  Most people buy a couple of big blue bottles of water a week for drinking and cooking.

As for the electric, again, the house is connected to the local grid so the solar panels are just to save on the electricity bill and guard against the frequent blackouts, oh and hot water.  Here in Australia, people with large enough setups are actually putting power back into the grid and the power companies have to pay them for it.  I doubt that will be the case in PI and the cost of batteries is prohibitive for storage but any saving is good.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

Can you not get filters? Like Brita or something? There are folks here in the US that do the same thing (sell electricity back to the power companies) with solar. Even here in WV, which isn't the sunniest state in the union. There is a guy here in my area who has a solar water heater. He says most of the time, the water is TOO hot. LOL Sucks about the batteries though. I'd think the RP would be great for solar set ups.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Can you not get filters? Like Brita or something?

Yeah we could but having in-line filters on the mains from the tanks is less of a hassle. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Can you not get filters? Like Brita or something?

Yeah we could but having in-line filters on the mains from the tanks is less of a hassle. 

Brita and those types get expensive, at least in the US they did.  Pain in the a** too.  Some here use the inline systems on the sinks.  

We pay p40 for the blue 5 gallon container here in Subic Bay Freeport, delivered,  Other areas may be cheaper.  

The filtration systems don't seem worth it when you can buy the drinking water so cheap.  There is a lot of competition in the drinking water business.  I think we buy five 5-gallon every 2 weeks, so we pay about p5200 a year for drinking and cooking water.

Actually I am told the water here is pretty good, but I would never drink it.  The cat likes it just fine!

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Yep I know how cheap the bottles are but this is a convenience thing..  I did the sums and the filters work out cheaper in the long run too.

Besides, it's all part of the typhoon readiness plan as well :)

• Like 1

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

Silly question.....but do they drill wells for water? Or desalinate seawater?