Slowly Getting There - The House

jpbago
Posted
Posted
I mentioned guttering but was met with some odd looks lol.

We had to make our own gutters as none was to be found in Bacolod. Most houses use a rounded facia only, but the bottom part rusts out in 2 or 3 years. To make the gutters, we fastened 1 inch angle iron onto two 2 by 4s, then bent flat tin to form a gutter with enough to go under the tin roof. I didn't want the rain to splash on the white walls. Our main house has a raised cement area along the walls filled with sand that we topped off with crack stone to stop the rain from splashing.

Another way for a not too fancy house is to extend the roof tin out 2 feet or so and then cut the rusted 2 inches off every 2 or 3 years until you need to replace the tin again.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Silly question.....but do they drill wells for water? Or desalinate seawater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the lowlands there are wells everywhere usually with a hand pump. In the highlands (mountains) there are wells but I expect they are more expensive to drill and people collect rain run off or get water from mountain streams.

With all the rain the Philippines gets I don't see why they would need to use expensive desalinization.

• Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
With all the rain the Philippines gets I don't see why they would need to use expensive desalinization.

I think they believe rainwater becomes dirty with all the pollution even if you are in the country with little traffic. Luckily our local barangay in the Argao mountains has offered us water from a local spring

• Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
I mentioned guttering but was met with some odd looks lol

Its amazing how folks in RP do things differently. In our area, guttering is quite normal in house construction. Not sure if we will collect the water or not as we have local spring water supplied by the barangay. Perhaps rainwater collection can be a future project for the animals or if I get fed up with the high mineral content which I'm not used to

Edited by Fred & Mimi
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
billygoat993
Posted
Posted

Any update on your house? How much did it cost you for property tax improvement. Just finished building this 2300sqft use I beams and tax is sky high!

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Any update on your house? How much did it cost you for property tax improvement. Just finished building this 2300sqft use I beams and tax is sky high!

Doesn't your tax follow the percentage of the value of your house as it's suppoused to do?

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Really! I pay less than $75 on 50% larger than that. If you pay the full year before Jan 1, you get 20% discount.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Internal walls are up, ceiling is in, insulation on both.  Floor boards polished, just the electrical fittings (including ceiling fans) and a coat of paint to go.  External cladding is being put off for the moment until the budget allows for it.  SAO has bought furniture, she's into art-deco, which I was fine with, but she's into gaudy Asian chunky art-deco.. Oh well, can't have it all your own way and she's paying for it so can't really argue. 

Haven't been there for a coupe of months so I'll ask SAO (Short Angry One) to send some more photos; only seen it in it's current state via Skype on her phone. 

There's a tax??? Oh joy.....

billygoat993
Posted
Posted

Doesn't your tax follow the percentage of the value of your house as it's suppoused to do?

They follow it I guess but they have certain assessment for high class, middle class and based on the other house. We paid 45k for annual 450 sqm lot with 680 sqm floor area.

billygoat993
Posted
Posted

Internal walls are up, ceiling is in, insulation on both. Floor boards polished, just the electrical fittings (including ceiling fans) and a coat of paint to go. External cladding is being put off for the moment until the budget allows for it. SAO has bought furniture, she's into art-deco, which I was fine with, but she's into gaudy Asian chunky art-deco.. Oh well, can't have it all your own way and she's paying for it so can't really argue.

Haven't been there for a coupe of months so I'll ask SAO (Short Angry One) to send some more photos; only seen it in it's current state via Skype on her phone.

There's a tax??? Oh joy.....

Yes there is a tax for the land and another one for the house improvement... My wife tried to bribe to lower it. After you get your certificate of occupancy and Cetificate of final electrical inspection you go to Assessors office to file it. If we don't they have penalties...