Slowly Getting There - The House

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Interesting thread .... be interesting to see more pics of the build.

billygoat993
Posted
Posted

I have already posted link of the pictures of how my house was built from ground breaking to turn over. You can google my wife Ruby Atacador google plus she had posted it all there

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Direct link would be better ....

• 4 weeks later...
BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Finally have some more pics, had to redo the ceiling, long story.  Balcony finally nearly finished too.  Will post tomorrow; just finished work, heading to bed

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here's the promised pictures, a day late but work has been insane lately.  Just as a disclaimer I'm not much of a "picture" guy so sorry for the quality and lack of said pictures.

Wasn't sure how to add them in order, but you'll get the ghist by the title of each image.

Couple of things I've learnt about building in the Philippines:

1.  Labour costs over and above any quote given.  About 130PHP/day/worker.

2.  The workers expect snacks and lunch provided.

3.  Rain and damp is your enemy, the mold problem is a killer, especially from about April - September. Slap a primer on any bare drywall or plywood asap. 

4.  Get all your materials before you're ready to start, the workers will sit around waiting and still expect to be paid.  To alleviate delays with the hardware provider, COD only or at least only a deposit at point of purchase.

5.  Keep thorough records of hours worked, rain delays etc.  It will save you money. 

6.  More as I remember it.

The pig picture is just to show you how much they've grown in a couple of weeks lol.

Oh yeah, Momma and SAO have the patience of Job, I woulda lost my sh&t by now if I'd been on the ground the whole time and I'm more relaxed and laid-back than most people I know. 

post-2862-0-79753100-1394496803_thumb.jp

post-2862-0-67775300-1394496807_thumb.jp

post-2862-0-10273000-1394496811_thumb.jp

post-2862-0-87665100-1394496815_thumb.jp

post-2862-0-04950700-1394496820_thumb.jp

post-2862-0-42003800-1394496823_thumb.jp

post-2862-0-90960000-1394496825_thumb.jp

post-2862-0-90543800-1394496827_thumb.jp

post-2862-0-69792100-1394496834_thumb.jp

post-2862-0-49450600-1394496838_thumb.jp

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1.  Labour costs over and above any quote given.  About 130PHP/day/worker. 2.  The workers expect snacks and lunch provided.

We negotiated a package deal for a paint job, inside and out. It turned out excellent. My wife and family are good cooks and friendly people so the workers did not want to leave to go on to the next job. If they came early enough, they even got breakfast. They get paid by the day so it was better for them to stay on the job at our place. They all did a perfect job, excellent prep, 3 coat finish, etc.I was expecting to get only the walls done. They did everything like the perimeter wall, entire house inside and outside, window trim, all the cabinets, refinished the 9 doors, tables, chairs, and the furniture even the trim on the sofa. Even did the caretaker's house inside and out. After 6 or 7 weeks, their boss would come every few days to see why they were not finished yet as the longer that they stayed, the less will be his profit. There was 3 to 8 workers here for 6 days a week for 2 months. When we see them around town now, they will come over to talk, sometimes they buy me a beer. It was a good experience with an excellent renovation/paint job. 

Bottom line: Negotiate a package deal for everything that you do and treat them well. It is a win-win situation. We did a package deal on the purchase of the house and on the annulment. 

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Bottom line: Negotiate a package deal for everything that you do and treat them well. It is a win-win situation. We did a package deal on the purchase of the house and on the annulment.

Always do treat them well, but yeah, package deal next time for sure, which will be, funnily enough, cladding and paint :cheersty:

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
1. Labour costs over and above any quote given. About 130PHP/day/worker.

What was the total?

How many squaremeters did they build?

Edit: Only 130p/day?  That's less than minimum salary  :)       (But it's common Filipin companies pay less than the law demand. I don't know adjusting rule when pay their food. I don't know minimum for your region now, but I suppouse around 240p/day before food adjustment. Or was it a typingmisstake, you mean  230?

Edited by Thomas

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

1. Labour costs over and above any quote given. About 130PHP/day/worker.

What was the total?

How many squaremeters did they build?

Edit: Only 130p/day?  That's less than minimum salary  :)       (But it's common Filipin companies pay less than the law demand. I don't know adjusting rule when pay their food. I don't know minimum for your region now, but I suppouse around 240p/day before food adjustment. Or was it a typingmisstake, you mean  230?

Yeah I know mate, I thought it was a bit low too but SAO and her family assured me that is normal in remote Negros; and one of the workers is my brother-in-law to be so I suspect a little nepotism was used in calculating pay which I'm ok with.  TBH, I have been giving them a bonus if they complete in time at each stage and even when they're not on time due to circumstances beyond their control.  When they work, they work bloody hard in sh&tty, humid heat for long hours.  At the end of each week, if I'm there we all have a beer, they practice their English, I murder their Cebuano.

As to the square metreage? It's an extension on a present dwelling and in my experience cost is based on materials, time and difficulty and not really really related to area.  Area affects the time yes, but you know what I mean.