Philippines Banned From Beauty Pageants

Softpillow
Posted
Posted

When I'm in the Philippines most of girls I see are short and chubby. Where are all these beuaty contest types hiding? I must be visiting the worong places...LOL

yep they are definitely hiding

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

"Filipins" are several different people, looking very different. At least they are Malays (=Mors ?) ,

No Malay and Moor are not one and the same. The Filipino term 'Moro' comes from the Spanish Moor. The original Moors were not Arabs, but North Africans who invaded and colonised the Iberian pensinsular. How mortified the Spanish must have been when they arrived in the Philippines in 1565 and realised that Muslims had beaten them to it only 70 years after the fall of Granada and the end of the Reconquista.

there is no real Filipino look. All south east Asians can pass for each other just like Europeans can. I had a customer the other day who was clearly south east Asian and could have easily been Filipino however he turned out to be Vietnamese. Stick a Filipino on the Bangkok skytrain or Kuala Lumpur MRT in normal clothes that do not identify them as Filipino (like a basketball shirt) and everyone will think they are Thai or Malaysian. This is a bit of a joke if you ever bring a Filipina to Thailand. Thais think they are Thai. What happens is they address the Filipina in Thai language, the Filipina turns round and says, in English "I am not Thai, I'm Filipino!", to which the Thai then says, in English 'but you look Thai!"

this is quite funny, because 'Tai' does of course mean 'sh&t' in Tagalog.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
there is no real Filipino look. 
Well. I agree about that, because they are several different people, looking very different basicly. (E g Pacific Islanders have much different hair. Cebu mountain tribes don't look as the Visayas.) 
All south east Asians can pass for each other just like Europeans can.
Well. Perhaps if you ask Europeans to separate the Asians and vice versa  :)     

but - besides the MIXES made by migrations - there are differences even INSIDE countries as Italy and UK.

ORIGIN Sicilians and north Italians don't look the same. (North Italians have special noses.)

Kelts (=Walesh and Irish) don't look the same as English. The most good looking ones in UK have normaly some kelt blood   :)      (English special mouth - but problem to separate them now by some English women change their mouth nowasays. But back 100 years ago the English mouth look was most POPULAR.

Sure I would fail to say corect country for many Europeans, because of mixes, but them with significant look, I can tell nationality or at least region of many of.   Or do you mean Finnish and Italians look same??!   :) 

But I can't see difference between most East Europeans, because many of them are SAME origin   :)  (=Slaves).

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

it is not so easy to tell what nationality people are from just by looking at them. But you can get better at it, with practice. At one time I had a job in Cape Town, South Africa at this outside stall selling curios to tourists. And we were really were getting them, from all over the world (except black Africans, despite where we were located). I'd serve an Australian, then a German, then a Japanese like all day long. After a while I started getting good at distinguishing Germans and French and so on. You just developed this sixth sense.

I was there because I am British and they wanted a British salesman because there were more British tourists than anyone else. And I learned in time, that it was not a good idea for me to serve Afrikaner South Africans. Not because I don't like Afrikaners (far from it ; I do usually), but because I can't speak Afrikaans. It was always better if a South African served them, even if their first language was English, by speaking to them in Afrikaans in which most white South Africans are fluent. So I could be sitting with a South African colleague and these Afrikaners would walk in. Usually between the two of us, we could tell if they were Afrikaners by looking at them.

one day a couple walked in and we both of us agreed that yes, they did look like Afrikaners. They had a similar gait, manner and everything. My South African pal scurried off to serve them but returned a few seconds later saying, hey you serve them. They are weird. They say they are British, but I have never met any British people like them before.

so i approached them and asked 'where are you from?'

all smiles, recognising my accent they replied in unison :

'BELFAST!'

:)

so then i approached

Thomas
Posted
Posted
so i approached them and asked 'where are you from?' all smiles, recognising my accent they replied in unison : 'BELFAST!'
Recognising nationality by how they speak English is "cheating"   :)

A Danish comedian had a show where he sang SAME song in English, but imitated how different nationalities sound normaly. Everyone understood which nationalities WITHOUT he told which. French, German, Norwegian...

And we Swedes talk English "to clear" making Englishmen have problem understanding what we say  :)

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

"Filipins" are several different people, looking very different. At least they are Malays (=Mors ?) ,

Stick a Filipino on the Bangkok skytrain or Kuala Lumpur MRT in normal clothes that do not identify them as Filipino (like a basketball shirt) and everyone will think they are Thai or Malaysian. This is a bit of a joke if you ever bring a Filipina to Thailand. Thais think they are Thai. What happens is they address the Filipina in Thai language, the Filipina turns round and says, in English "I am not Thai, I'm Filipino!", to which the Thai then says, in English 'but you look Thai!"

This was exactly our experience. Took the wife to Bangkok and Chiang Mai last year. Everyone assumed she was Thai and would approach her and start speaking Thai. She was like a deer in the headlights and I would have to step in and say "She does not speak Thai - she is Filipina."It freaked her out, really and she has no interest in returning to Thailand because of this.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

so i approached them and asked 'where are you from?' all smiles, recognising my accent they replied in unison : 'BELFAST!'

it is a given that they cannot open their mouths, because they give the game away immediately that way. You have to be able to spot them by visual identification alone, which is not straightforward. People can not only recognise various English dialects. They can recognise foreign languages. I do not speak Hebrew, however I will recognise it whenever I hear it spoken.

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

Stick a Filipino on the Bangkok skytrain or Kuala Lumpur MRT in normal clothes that do not identify them as Filipino (like a basketball shirt) and everyone will think they are Thai or Malaysian. This is a bit of a joke if you ever bring a Filipina to Thailand. Thais think they are Thai. What happens is they address the Filipina in Thai language, the Filipina turns round and says, in English "I am not Thai, I'm Filipino!", to which the Thai then says, in English 'but you look Thai!"

This was exactly our experience. Took the wife to Bangkok and Chiang Mai last year. Everyone assumed she was Thai and would approach her and start speaking Thai. She was like a deer in the headlights and I would have to step in and say "She does not speak Thai - she is Filipina."It freaked her out, really and she has no interest in returning to Thailand because of this.

I took a Malaysian girl to Thailand and we had the same problem. I even took the trouble, to get a t-shirt printed, that said, in Thai characters, I AM NOT THAI I'M MALAYSIAN!

they loved that of course, both in the printing shop, and on the street. One thing all south east Asians have in common, is a keen sense of humor.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

it is a given that they cannot open their mouths, because they give the game away immediately that way. You have to be able to spot them by visual identification alone, which is not straightforward. People can not only recognise various English dialects. They can recognise foreign languages. I do not speak Hebrew, however I will recognise it whenever I hear it spoken.

Even more "cheating" if recognise nationality by hearing them speak their HOME language   :)    

I'm talkning about recognising nationality ONLY by how they LOOK.  (Still talking about the not mixed ones.)

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

you cannot tell their nationality without them speaking, from their facial or other physical features alone. There are other clues in body language and choice of clothing that give it away more.