Philippines Banned From Beauty Pageants

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

In fact the very fact that the Philippines and Thailand don't share the same geographic history/ancestry suggests that they look quite different. Most Asian countries have some overlap (Southern Thais look similar to Malays simply because it used to be part of Malaysia for example, same with Isaarn (North-East Thailand) and Laos. But this overlap should not hide the fact that each country has quite distinct looks that are much, much less mixed than in Europe, leading to more homogenous and identifiable looks.
Well. Thais are originaly a people, who moved from China into Viet-Nam and Laos, and then pressured away big parts of the origin people living in Thailand back then.  (E g malays in south and khmers in SouthEst Isaan. Several different people were pressured to move up in mointains.)  A sign of this is there are (small) regions dominated by a lot of different languages (over 40. 72? ) some of them not even belonging to same language group.

Amongst Filipinos I reckon to be able to tell an Ilokano from an Illonggo! But finer differences like Tagalog to Pampangueno escape me.

The "Mountain tribes" ("negritos") in the Philippines are obviously different (and tend to be Episcopalian, so they have birth control, so they are tending to become better off than their Malayo-Polynesian lowland neighbours, because the Spanish never bothered to convert them, but Bishop Brent did) 

• Like 1

komments
Posted
Posted

​I've cruising this line and missed the beauty pageant part of the thread (must be at the beginning imagine that)  But from the comments I have read, many insulting racist and wrong, Thomas is closest to  right. As Italians (myself included) are the handsomest, most beautiful, intelligent, and artist people on earth it is  easy to tell them from Scandinavians :mocking:  

:thumbsup:   :)

Yes, Italians are good at many things. Italians being best in West Europe in cheating and corruption too,  we can't manage to get a Berlousconi in Sweden   :boohoo:   :)

Gotta love that national pride kicking in. 

• Like 1

komments
Posted
Posted

The story about Philippine beauty contestants being banned first appeared  in The Adobo Chronicles,,,unfortunately many people believed it.

Thank you Brock.  I researched other sources and found the whole story started in The Adobo Chronicles

was indeed a bad rumor, a fake.  

For this, I will apologize openly to Whippy's comments.  However, his other comments (Filipinos often talk up

their relative success in beauty pageants as being some kind of national feat, like they landed on the moon....

needs to be addressed.  Or perhaps my reading comprehension needs improvement -- do you guys see that

as derogatory?  If not, I will apologize again for losing my cool.

Respectfully -- Jake

I didn't see it as derogatory - I think every culture talks themselves up a bit beyond the truth.  Human nature.  Tribe pride, etc.  Besides anything the Filipinos do is better than the fake moon landing.

Just kidding folks - we all know the moon landing was real <looks over shoulder to try and spot the NSA spooks coming for me>.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

In fact the very fact that the Philippines and Thailand don't share the same geographic history/ancestry suggests that they look quite different. Most Asian countries have some overlap (Southern Thais look similar to Malays simply because it used to be part of Malaysia for example, same with Isaarn (North-East Thailand) and Laos. But this overlap should not hide the fact that each country has quite distinct looks that are much, much less mixed than in Europe, leading to more homogenous and identifiable looks.
Well. Thais are originaly a people, who moved from China into Viet-Nam and Laos, and then pressured away big parts of the origin people living in Thailand back then.  (E g malays in south and khmers in SouthEst Isaan. Several different people were pressured to move up in mointains.)  A sign of this is there are (small) regions dominated by a lot of different languages (over 40. 72? ) some of them not even belonging to same language group.

Amongst Filipinos I reckon to be able to tell an Ilokano from an Illonggo! But finer differences like Tagalog to Pampangueno escape me.

The "Mountain tribes" ("negritos") in the Philippines are obviously different (and tend to be Episcopalian, so they have birth control, so they are tending to become better off than their Malayo-Polynesian lowland neighbours, because the Spanish never bothered to convert them, but Bishop Brent did)

(I don't know very litle about Filipins in the north half.)

In some other topic I wrote about some different ethnic groups in Phils.

Aren't there more "mountain tribes" types than "Negritos"?  E g them who were pushed away from Iligan flatland some houndred years ago.   And them with flat hair look very much different than them, who look similar to New Zealand origins.

((I told my hf she don't look fully Cebuano, some "mountain tribe" (flat hair type) and she confirmed she is 1/4.))

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

All these fake stories, national pride etc etc.

Everyone knows that Adam and Eve were English :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Italian John. I believe to Roman Catholic Church would say"

Sorry Thomas, couldn't be Swedish to cold to do without clothes

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
All these fake stories, national pride etc etc. Everyone knows that Adam and Eve were English

:mocking: YEP! the Original Scouse Scallies ( or is that Scally's

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Italian John. I believe to Roman Catholic Church would say"

Sorry Thomas, couldn't be Swedish to cold to do without clothes

Haven't you heared of Scandinavians taking BATH OUTDOORS in the winters, cuting holes in ice at lakes and jump in?    :)

(When I had immigrants replacing my roof in late autumn, we stood outside and discussed solutions, their boss said we better go inside because of the "cold". I had only shirt but had no problem with the weather, while they had winter clothes  :mocking:

But I agree with you, Adam and Eve wasn't Scandinavians.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

All these fake stories, national pride etc etc. Everyone knows that Adam and Eve were English

:mocking: YEP! the Original Scouse Scallies ( or is that Scally's

Yes we often use expressions without realising where they come from....Scally as in Scallywag

and the Word Scouse can mean Beef stew dish or refer to Liverpool person with a scouse accent

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/scallywag

Sorry, we are going right off the fake topic here.... :bash:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2