Philippines Banned From Beauty Pageants

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Filipinos often talk up their relative success in beauty pageants as being some kind of national feat, like they landed on the moon....
I don't know. SOME sure try to appear better than their neighbour "anyhow" *, but that goes for Swedes living in villa suburbs/villages too  :)       (A common goal among them of the Swedes I call "beach people" is having a house, 2 kids, a dog, vacation at some cheap beach tourist place, and a better car than the neighbour...  :mocking:

*E g having relative being OFW or married to a kano   :)     I have never heared anyone bragging about beauty contests, but it's a huge interest for such in Phils (while in Sweden, they have perhaps even skiped Miss Sweden, because of the low interest. Some of them who wonn looked BADER than AVERAGE Swedish women...  :mocking:

The only two Filipinas I know, who have been in beauty contests:

/one did it ONCE just as a fun thing to do once  (Finnished 2nd.)

/and my ex didn't even tell me, she had been in a beauty contest, I just happen to see a photo one of her friends had, showing my ex went to the final 5. I don't know which position she got among them.

So either of them seem to bother much about it. But perhaps not so odd, because they have OTHER things to be proud of - which they DON'T bragg about either   :)    (Just mensioned some, when we have talked about the subject anyway. (E g got education scholarship, starting poor but managed to save to "much" land in a few years...)

I guess Filipins are as (north) Europeans = The MORE a person have to be proud of, the LESS need of bragging...  :dance:

Perhaps that's why I never bragged, when I were in "boys bragging age" (=around 13), but I do it often now  :mocking:

But it seem Filipins in average are more interested in gossip. Or perhaps it's just more NOTISABLE by they live so close together, so we HEAR more people gossiping   :)

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

Filipinos often talk up their relative success in beauty pageants as being some kind of national feat, like they landed on the moon.

. . . . is not a 'derogatory comment', at all. it is a perfectly valid observation. Many times I have observed Filipinos, when trying to talk up their country on internet forums coming out with how well they do in beauty pageants - even though the best performing countries per capita in Miss Universe is not the Philippines at all, but Puerto Rico, Finland, Sweden, and Venezuela.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Filipinos often talk up their relative success in beauty pageants as being some kind of national feat, like they landed on the moon.

. . . . is not a 'derogatory comment', at all. it is a perfectly valid observation. Many times I have observed Filipinos, when trying to talk up their country on internet forums coming out with how well they do in beauty pageants - even though the best performing countries per capita in Miss Universe is not the Philippines at all, but Puerto Rico, Finland, Sweden, and Venezuela.

OK, whatever........

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Checking Wikipedia, most of the Miss Universe winners in past 15 years have been Latinas, with 3 of them from Venezuela.  While Snopes.com didn't have any references, I'm sure we've identified the original story as parody.

My fiance told me this story a couple of months ago and she believed it to be true.  I'll have keep the laughter to myself, because we all know that a woman is ALWAYS RIGHT, even if they are wrong :lol:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
deevey
Posted
Posted

Miss Universe a fix anyhow - when the rest of the contestants eventually land, then it'll be a contest 

Silly Humans :10001:  

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:tiphat: Hello angels and the rest of you ETs

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
afathertobe
Posted
Posted

"Filipins" are several different people, looking very different. At least they are Malays (=Mors ?) ,

No Malay and Moor are not one and the same. The Filipino term 'Moro' comes from the Spanish Moor. The original Moors were not Arabs, but North Africans who invaded and colonised the Iberian pensinsular. How mortified the Spanish must have been when they arrived in the Philippines in 1565 and realised that Muslims had beaten them to it only 70 years after the fall of Granada and the end of the Reconquista.

there is no real Filipino look. All south east Asians can pass for each other just like Europeans can. I had a customer the other day who was clearly south east Asian and could have easily been Filipino however he turned out to be Vietnamese. Stick a Filipino on the Bangkok skytrain or Kuala Lumpur MRT in normal clothes that do not identify them as Filipino (like a basketball shirt) and everyone will think they are Thai or Malaysian. This is a bit of a joke if you ever bring a Filipina to Thailand. Thais think they are Thai. What happens is they address the Filipina in Thai language, the Filipina turns round and says, in English "I am not Thai, I'm Filipino!", to which the Thai then says, in English 'but you look Thai!"

this is quite funny, because 'Tai' does of course mean 'sh&t' in Tagalog.

I don't agree with this at all. In fact the very fact that the Philippines and Thailand don't share the same geographic history/ancestry suggests that they look quite different. Most Asian countries have some overlap (Southern Thais look similar to Malays simply because it used to be part of Malaysia for example, same with Isaarn (North-East Thailand) and Laos. But this overlap should not hide the fact that each country has quite distinct looks that are much, much less mixed than in Europe, leading to more homogenous and identifiable looks. If you don't expect someone to be a foreigner, as was the case with your partners in Thailand, locals might simply shrug off the slightly different look to another region/ancestry and still assume they are Thai, just as there are many Indian-Thais. Thais are much closer to Southern Chinese, where they originate, than they are the Philippines, for example.

But by and large an observant person, Asian or not, should be able to guess the country or at least region in Asia most, but certainly not all of the time. People are often surprised when I guess where they're from, but that's because I've visited and lived in so many different countries in Asia that I recognize the features.

I know that there are these websites where you are made to guess whether someone is Korean, Chinese or Japanese, but many of them are intentionally misleading or difficult.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

So what was the OP?

Oh right it turns out after 5 pages that it wasn't, true after all!

Maybe time for a new Thread "Can different Nationalities get on together?"

Peace brothers Peace

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
In fact the very fact that the Philippines and Thailand don't share the same geographic history/ancestry suggests that they look quite different. Most Asian countries have some overlap (Southern Thais look similar to Malays simply because it used to be part of Malaysia for example, same with Isaarn (North-East Thailand) and Laos. But this overlap should not hide the fact that each country has quite distinct looks that are much, much less mixed than in Europe, leading to more homogenous and identifiable looks.
Well. Thais are originaly a people, who moved from China into Viet-Nam and Laos, and then pressured away big parts of the origin people living in Thailand back then.  (E g malays in south and khmers in SouthEst Isaan. Several different people were pressured to move up in mointains.)  A sign of this is there are (small) regions dominated by a lot of different languages (over 40. 72? ) some of them not even belonging to same language group.
  • Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
I keep mine on a leash, barefoot, in the kitchen ha ha
Mine's pregnant and barefoot, but not in the kitchen though :hystery:
  • Like 1