Needing Explicit Info On How To Live In Cebu...

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I would not worry about anything just have a decent bank roll behind you maybe $50,000 in credit cards available to you. Plus i suggest you have a good $30,000 in cash available. I have been there many times and will retire there soon.

I have  two friends that live there now that had almost your exact same story when they went there. They are now with different women because the original woman who owned her own business did expect them to be the bread winner.

They do not live well now what little money they had is gone.

Americans  are rich,  so they think you are not serious and are trying to conceal your worth. They are taught that is one of our tricks.

I think you are biting off way more than you can chew , without having been there you have no idea whats going on. I hate to be rough but it semms like a lamb going to the slaughter.  I think WC Fields had a quote for this anyone know what the quote was?

Being a gambling man i say the chances of this working out is about 1500 to 1 odds. I cant even say good luck that would not be fair , brother you need a miracle.

Poker Mike

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I speak English and Spanish and have learned quite a lot of Tagalog

Won't do you much good in Ronda. I would stick with English and a little sign language anyway.

• Like 1

genesiseng
Posted
Posted

I appreciate the positive responses I've gotten. For the others with so much negativity...I still read and take in what u have said. No one here knows me nor my gf...thank God! I'm truly sorry some of u have had bad experiences or had to learn the hard way, but I truly believe everybodys' situation is completely different and the people in my life that live in the Philippines have had always my best interest at heart. Oh I've ran into the schemers or the ones trying to manipulate me, but I grew up for in the harsh world of the street and can pretty well spot a phony as well as the grumpy old man that doesn't want another American in his area as if it's his paradise now. Unless u are the type of man that must live comfortably in every way, it surely does not mean I need to be the same as u. A simple life in the Philippines is just as it says...the basic necessities in life...not a car, big screen tv, fancy clothes, a special liquor, large meals of variety, or a gang of women. It means simply clean clothes to wear, some food on the table, roof over ur head, one good loving and caring woman...enjoy what God has blessed u with and not try to live outside ur means or lust for what the grumpy old man has in the way of comfort items. I've gotten good advice and info I'm searching for here and elsewhere. I will take heed that I never become like people here in my country and that is being selfish and having a negative attitude with God no where in the frame of things. Thanx again to those that support what I have said here and to those who gave me the info/advice I've been seeking and my only reason for coming to this forum...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Genesiseng,

This wonderful forum may be smaller than the others but it's the best one in town.  Members here speak from

the heart as well as from their boots on the ground experiences.  We wish you the very best of luck and that

our negativity was proven wrong after all.  This will be your very first visit.....we just want you to proceed with

caution, OK?

I believe most of us here are Christians but not very religious, like myself.  Some of us may get irritated if one

member is preaching the Bible to us.  I will only leave one comment about preaching here: one of the divine

gifts from our Father was the freedom of Will -- freely choosing which path to take.  We sincerely hope the

path you are taking now is well prepared for any speed bumps that may lie ahead of you.    

Respectfully -- Jake

PS -- religious comments are against forum rules

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Genesiseng, you have received some good advice with the very best of intentions. I have lived in a luxurious nipa hut, it had a concrete floor, a 13 watt fluorescent light and a television that seemed to play an endless amount of "That's My Tomboy" shows. There was a hand pump nearby where we all did our washing up. The CR was moving slow so we dug a new septic and erected a CHB comfort room with door and concrete floor, literally a brick chit house with ladle shower capabilities, because I don't worry much about how austere the conditions are but sanitation is important. After a couple weeks I started checking my e-mail and surfing the web on my phone because I was going through technology withdrawls. It's easy to say you can do without, and mabe you can, let me know how it's working out after 6 months.

I'm glad you are working on a nest egg. From when I was looking into it, offshore oil rigs paid pretty well. You decide how much is enough and personally I think you need more if things do work out for the long haul than you would need if they don't and I'm not talking about luxuries. I'm pretty fatalisic about my passing, but pure hell would be standing by and watching someone I love pass when the application of some money, which I don't have, might save them. Money is hard to come by in the RP. If you are going to try to earn in the RP in micro business, I would pay careful attention to Jim Sibbick's posts. Best I have at the moment.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
No one here knows me nor my gf...thank God! I'm truly sorry some of u have had bad experiences or had to learn the hard way, but I truly believe everybodys' situation is completely different and the people in my life that live in the Philippines have had always my best interest at heart. Oh I've ran into the schemers or the ones trying to manipulate me
Well. I have similar situation, my perhaps future wife have never asked for money and earn her own living, BUT either you or I are married yet, so we don't know if our women will change after marriage. They can be good, but they can also be the most killed scammers, waiting until after marriage  :mocking:
Unless u are the type of man that must live comfortably in every way, it surely does not mean I need to be the same as u. A simple life in the Philippines is just as it says...the basic necessities in life...not a car, big screen tv, fancy clothes, a special liquor, large meals of variety, or a gang of women. It means simply clean clothes to wear, some food on the table, roof over ur head, one good loving and caring woman...
Yes. (Except I want a big - but simple uggly  :)   - house so it's space enough inside during rain period, and my bad knee need a cheap but functioning car.) But even a simple life need some money. It cost MORE for us foreigners, because of VISA and such... It don't seem you have thought enough of HOW you can earn enough. Researching such is what I do mainly during my move preparings... :)

In your case - because you don't seem to have experience from having business and it's extra complicated for foreigners in Philippines - I recomend you check if you can get work at an oil rig somewhere in SE Asia, so you can have concentrated work periods there, still geting much time living in Phils between your work periods. I don't know any of them personaly, but I know there are some foreigners who do like that and live in Thailand, so it can be done living in Phils too.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I appreciate the positive responses I've gotten. For the others with so much negativity...I still read and take in what u have said. No one here knows me nor my gf...thank God! I'm truly sorry some of u have had bad experiences or had to learn the hard way, but I truly believe everybodys' situation is completely different and the people in my life that live in the Philippines have had always my best interest at heart. Oh I've ran into the schemers or the ones trying to manipulate me, but I grew up for in the harsh world of the street and can pretty well spot a phony as well as the grumpy old man that doesn't want another American in his area as if it's his paradise now. Unless u are the type of man that must live comfortably in every way, it surely does not mean I need to be the same as u. A simple life in the Philippines is just as it says...the basic necessities in life...not a car, big screen tv, fancy clothes, a special liquor, large meals of variety, or a gang of women. It means simply clean clothes to wear, some food on the table, roof over ur head, one good loving and caring woman...enjoy what God has blessed u with and not try to live outside ur means or lust for what the grumpy old man has in the way of comfort items. I've gotten good advice and info I'm searching for here and elsewhere. I will take heed that I never become like people here in my country and that is being selfish and having a negative attitude with God no where in the frame of things. Thanx again to those that support what I have said here and to those who gave me the info/advice I've been seeking and my only reason for coming to this forum...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Gene, as I said before, all good advice from the forum memebers, whether you take it in or not is upto you, but everyone on here only has good intentions, having said that, we are all on the outside looking in and only you know what your situation is so, just go slowly and be careful, nothing negative just plain common sense.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Gene, as I said before, all good advice from the forum members, whether you take it in or not is upto you, but everyone on here only has good intentions, having said that, we are all on the outside looking in and only you know what your situation is so, just go slowly and be careful, nothing negative just plain common sense.

Hey Frosty.....triple LIKE indeed!  Respectfully -- Jake

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Genesis,

I took the liberty of doing some research for you so that your transition to another world will be safe and more cost effective.
Internal to this forum you can google search the following: Type in "which airport" and you will get 10 pages full of data, just

from this forum.  How about the best price from St Louis to PI and more importantly, what layovers should I avoid -- one of

many websites (http://www.expedia.com).  And finally the best day of the week to purchase airline tickets:

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/01/best-time-to-book-a-flight_n_4875266.html)

Only took me about half an hour but as far as giving you step by step instructions, like learning how to navigate through

a strange airport......well, you're on your own.  That's part of the adventure anyway -- it could be exciting by meeting new

travel friends along the way.  

Bon voyage.......

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wish Gene the very best luck. In many ways you asked the two easiest questions. How do you get the cheapest air fare? I've used every online service imaginable; each trip another service has a better price. I used ebookers this time - cheap price but their service sucked. The reason some recommended a RT ticket is that unfortunately the difference between one way and RT is small. So see what the best deal is.

As to visa there are nearly 30 options so one size does not fit all and once u r married u have nice options that single guys don't have. Bob Martins website has articles about visa options.

Of course other guys gave u advise (good advise) that u didn't ask for. I have known guys who met and married their girls right away and it worked. For others it didn't. There's no guarantee of success or failure. You will have the same marital issues that all couples have.

I know guys who work in PI and others who successfully run businesses. They are in the minority.

The idea of living simply is different for every guy. Some guys need their fave food and drink, some need fast reliable internet. I didn't think I'd need a car but the provincial places we r considering might mean a car is needed. Some guys can live in a nipa hut - not me. I want a simpler life but it has to include some comfort, an aircon, decent power or a backup plan.

My wife is a poor provincial girl too. But like most people she has dreams. She's slways wanted a two story house. We don't have thT in the US but maybe when we move to PI. IOW as a single guy you can live simply, even starve a bit. But u won't want to do that with a wife and three kids u love.

Even if u r completely successful ur life will not end up looking like u currently imagine. I can guarantee that. Good luck to u.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 4