Where In The Philippines Are You?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Simple question, why did you pick the place you live now? And where is it?

was in manila, just TOO dirty, getting TOO expensive. needed a cleaner &more relaxing place for my child(single parent)

so we moved to Sta Rosa Laguna. about 1hr south of manila(30km). 30min from Alabang(15km)

been here 5yrsnearly 6 now//and best move I made,

• Like 3

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

people like Sandwichmaker, although he is really trying, have not realised up to now how important places with names like Luzon and Manila and Laguna are to the Philippines. Ignoring Manila, is like ignoring London if you want to understand the UK. Or ignoring Paris, if you want to understand France.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

My original plan was Northern Cebu - and I still wish I was there.

Moalboal.  Quiet little town on the ocean.  Wife's family all live here.

We lived in Cebu City and have a house in northern Cebu, Tabuelan.  The water is shallow there and a lot of people walk offshore killing everything that should be living there.  I snorkeled at Moalboal and want to find a place near there when we go back.

WHY?  Family is in Cebu City and while I love them and WANT them with us the city is just too dirty for me full-time.

Edited by GregZ

Americano
Posted
Posted

I chose Carcar which is about half way between Cebu City and the South end of Cebu Island. I'm on the East coast and can travel by highway directly West to the West side of the island. My wife is from a dangerous area for foreigners in Mindanao and its usually best to live far away from relatives so it a win win situation for us living here. Only relatives we invite and send money for a boat ticket can visit us. Some relatives will never be visiting us.

I really like to vacation in Moalboal and was there last week with several family members.  Very quiet, good Western food, and must be almost zero crime. One negative is its a hell of a long and dangerous round trip to Cebu City.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I chose Carcar which is about half way between Cebu City and the South end of Cebu Island. I'm on the East coast and can travel by highway directly West to the West side of the island. My wife is from a dangerous area for foreigners in Mindanao and its usually best to live far away from relatives so it a win win situation for us living here. Only relatives we invite and send money for a boat ticket can visit us. Some relatives will never be visiting us.

I really like to vacation in Moalboal and was there last week with several family members. Very quiet, good Western food, and must be almost zero crime. One negative is its a hell of a long and dangerous round trip to Cebu City.

Wasnt Moalboal where a forum member had a break in recently? Everybody now is going "Who? Who?"... Hehe! I'll give you a hint... Heard about it on YouTube...

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

people like Sandwichmaker, although he is really trying, have not realised up to now how important places with names like Luzon and Manila and Laguna are to the Philippines. Ignoring Manila, is like ignoring London if you want to understand the UK. Or ignoring Paris, if you want to understand France.

Well. But perhaps he think as I - I don't want to understand Metro Manila, I want to understand rural Visayas   :)     (or such as e g Palawan)  so I will go on trying to avoid Metro Manila as much as possible.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was planning on looking up around Bogo or down around Moalboal.... such is life... maybe the next wife....   :tiphat:

I understand you're speaking in jest but would you /are you legally able to get married twice in the Philippines, with the annulment etc?

Also, I'm interested in iloilo . What's it like where you are in the city? Is there a pizza Hut or sbarro by any chance? Does the supermarket sell cheese from the fridge?

I can always go to Guam for a divorce... nah... too much trouble ha ha

Yeah, we got all the regular joints here... Pizza Hut, Sbarro, Shakeys, we need Wendys & Taco Bell though.  Cheese is a hit & miss operation... and if they have it still isn't real cheese...

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well. But perhaps he think as I - I don't want to understand Metro Manila, I want to understand rural Visayas   :)     (or such as e g Palawan)  so I will go on trying to avoid Metro Manila as much as possible.

But I enjoyed London.  I hope I never have to go back to Manila!  If that is required to understand the Filipinos... ignorance is bliss!  I don't need to know ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

:no: Whilst, we can never, ignore, the International entry and exit City's, with over 7,000 islands, there is far more life beyond these ,Metropolitan Areas,(I mean real life,for a married Foreigner, not just night life)

For me as with Others, Negros (Occidental  and Oriental) hold so much more character Than any of the major International Entry and Exit City's.  Poverty is poverty but  I find it so much easier, to handle, understand & deal with, in the Provinces.

Dumaguete ( Negros Oriental) is the City of Gentle People, it suits me Fine.

JP

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 3

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

Carcar is probably the most horrible town of 100,000 and up, in the Visayas. With the exception of Cebu city itself. And Carcar is nothing like halfway between Cebu city and the southernmost point, of Cebu island. Do you not ever read those mileposts they put by the side of the highway? It is around 40km. Whereas Santander to Cebu city, is 140km.

I chose Carcar which is about half way between Cebu City and the South end of Cebu Island.