Where In The Philippines Are You?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It is around 40km. Whereas Santander to Cebu city, is 140km.

Maybe, it takes longer, to do the first 100 km, So it seems half way  :)

Do you not ever read those mileposts they put by the side of the highway?

Methinks, this is a tad OTT My friend :rolleyes:

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Carcar is probably the most horrible town of 100,000 and up, in the Visayas. With the exception of Cebu city itself. And Carcar is nothing like halfway between Cebu city and the southernmost point, of Cebu island. Do you not ever read those mileposts they put by the side of the highway? It is around 40km. Whereas Santander to Cebu city, is 140km.

He said "about" and the Southern end, it wasn't meant to be an exact coordinate. I believe Argao holds the distinction of exactly half way but let's not argue about it.   

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Baguio, northern Luzon. I like the moderate mountain climate and the city is large enough to have modern conveniences without being too large. Plenty of inexpensive fresh vegetables and strawberries plus a coffee culture with locally grown and roasted beans.

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

Carcar is probably the most horrible town of 100,000 and up, in the Visayas. With the exception of Cebu city itself. And Carcar is nothing like halfway between Cebu city and the southernmost point, of Cebu island. Do you not ever read those mileposts they put by the side of the highway? It is around 40km. Whereas Santander to Cebu city, is 140km.

I chose Carcar which is about half way between Cebu City and the South end of Cebu Island.

Why do you think Carcar City is a horrible town?  I will agree that traffic through Carcar is very slow during peak hours but its not a bad place to live. Electric, water, and Internet are about as reliable as anywhere in the country. We have garbage pickup by the city and a Gaisano.  Have you ever lived here?  If not, then how did you come to the conclusion that Carcar is a horrible town?

Yes, I know that if you are only looking at distance that Carcar is not close to half way to Santander but I was considering travel time which is more important. Traveling between Cebu City and Carcar is very slow but really speeds up when you leave Carcar heading South. Have you ever drove or traveled from Cebu City to Santander?  I have because I have been living here and driving for 4 years.  You still living in the UK?

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Sorry, I'm with Jack on this issue.. I love Negros.  I've spent a lot of time in Manila; spinning it as a London or Paris to understand the country as a whole is so far off the mark it makes me laugh, hard, a lot.  Get out in the provinces and then you'll understand the Philippines - well as much as we can as Kanos.   

• Like 4

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

Argao, 25km beyond Carcar going south, is slightly less than halfway between Cebu city and Santander, however yes I agree that would normally be the place where I would stop if I was driving a motorbike between Cebu to get the Santander ferry to Dumaguete. I would not want to do it all in one go on a 125. Certainly not Carcar, which is still too urbanised. I would overnight in probably Argao, perhaps Alcoy, but definitely not Carcar.

I have had some good times in Carcar over the years and the first time I visited there was 10 years ago. I was there for the fiesta last December actually.  I have had several girlfriends from Carcar. But it has a terrible design, the market should not be where it is right in the center like that, the poor choice of location for that, goes a long way to explaining why the traffic can be so bad in Carcar.  There is no real beach nearby (even though the water would be like a toilet even if there was), no fresh water swim hole I ever saw around there. It is an uneasy mix of town and country. There is a lot of unemployment. It is just not a very pleasant town. it just doesn't have a very nice atmostphere most of the time. One thing that used to be good about Carcar is that it had one of the very best foreigner bar/restos i have ever seen in the Philippines, the You Rock owned by the American guy Ron and which he had to close down in 2011.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have had some good times in Carcar over the years and the first time I visited there was 10 years ago. I was there for the fiesta last December actually.  I have had several girlfriends from Carcar. But it has a terrible design, the market should not be where it is right in the center like that, the poor choice of location for that, goes a long way to explaining why the traffic can be so bad in Carcar.

I agree having the market on the highway right next to the roundabout creates an abomination of traffic and congestion as bikes, trikes, sikads, buses, trucks, pedestrians, chicharon salespeople, etc all compete on the hot dusty road. It's truly a mess. And they're putting a Savemore supermarket right across from the market. But I heard they're moving the market elsewhere which would make things much better. I hope so. That's going to be quite a feat because the market is huge and packed. Argao had a much better idea, the market is way west of the main highway, no congestion at all going through but it's also much smaller than Carcar.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
But I heard they're moving the market elsewhere which would make things much better. I hope so. That's going to be quite a feat because the market is huge and packed. Argao had a much better idea, the market is way west of the main highway, no congestion at all going through but it's also much smaller than Carcar.
Better if they build the highways AROUND the cities, so drive through traffic don't need to go into the city traffic...  But I hope they build the highways somewhere else than where nature lovers as I live   :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Better if they build the highways AROUND the cities, so drive through traffic don't need to go into the city traffic...  But I hope they build the highways somewhere else than where nature lovers as I live   Like This Selective Quote Top Quote MultiQuote

:thumbsup:  Quite agree Thomas, Unfortunately, Ring roads that we would like, tend in the main, to be a wider radius than we would hope for, they have to take into account a growth of the Town /City to the edge of the Ring road, otherwise the Ring road would have to have a Ring Road. This has happened in a Lot of areas, all the World, London, has an inner Ring Road and an Outer ring road, with, urbanisation trapped between them so whilst it is a good Idea in Theory, We are always going to develop the Green belt and destroy Nature. 

To me, we should build More, Smaller City's/Large Towns and Not keep expanding the vast, Ugly major ones we have now.

:tiphat:

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

I have had some good times in Carcar over the years and the first time I visited there was 10 years ago. I was there for the fiesta last December actually.  I have had several girlfriends from Carcar. But it has a terrible design, the market should not be where it is right in the center like that, the poor choice of location for that, goes a long way to explaining why the traffic can be so bad in Carcar.

I agree having the market on the highway right next to the roundabout creates an abomination of traffic and congestion as bikes, trikes, sikads, buses, trucks, pedestrians, chicharon salespeople, etc all compete on the hot dusty road. It's truly a mess. And they're putting a Savemore supermarket right across from the market. But I heard they're moving the market elsewhere which would make things much better. I hope so. That's going to be quite a feat because the market is huge and packed. Argao had a much better idea, the market is way west of the main highway, no congestion at all going through but it's also much smaller than Carcar.

with Carcar being the major junction between the west side of Cebu and the south as well as being that much closer to the city,  it is always going to be a bit chaotic no matter where the market is. But still good news, if they are thinking of moving it. It also makes the market itself better when it is not right up against the highway and people can enjoy it more. The Argao market has several eateries that are half decent and it can be a pleasure to be there and eat there. It can have a good atmostphere. I could not say the same about Carcar.

Carcar is better from the point of view of being closer to a decent hospital in the event of any emergency. But that is about the only advantage it has over Argao I could think of.